What's new

Is Mark Jackson a good fit for the Jazz?

The guy didn't like John Stockton, so what. He is a damn good coach.

Who has a history of alienating others, be it teammates or assistant coaches.
It's really meaningless to debate whether or not he'd be a good fit for Utah. He has about as much chance of Lindsey hiring him as Jim Carey had of getting the girl in Dumb and Dumber.

I agree.
Most here hate him cause he tanked hard and made us not get a lottery pick. But he was doing what management wanted while at the same time helping his team get better by getting an asset..... all at his own expense.

I was impressed that GS put up that much of a fight even though they were up against a superior team. Draymond green being the primary post defender? Damn thats rough

No, most here hate him because he caused a huge rift and mutiny in the locker room where he pitted players against each other and advocated that he should start over Stockton on top of giving Jerry enough hell that he spoke to the media about a player causing problems.

Oh, and the tanking doesn't help. Neither does every jab he takes at the franchise at every opportunity.

Let me state I'm not a Utah Jazz fan. So much of the back history I'm not up on. I wasn't aware of Jackson bad blood in Utah otherwise I would have never made the thread.

Let me state I'm not a Utah Jazz fan. So much of the back history I'm not up on. I wasn't aware of Jackson bad blood in Utah otherwise I would have never made the thread.
Have to admit I read it as "black" the first time...blame the Sterling affair, I suppose.

So, da theRone, can I ask what brings you to this forum if you're not a Jazz fan? We welcome you, of course. And you are forgiven for not knowing the back history of Jackson. There are enough of us old goats still alive and kicking to make sure all the young pups aren't led astray.

Have to admit I read it as "black" the first time...blame the Sterling affair, I suppose.

So, da theRone, can I ask what brings you to this forum if you're not a Jazz fan? We welcome you, of course. And you are forgiven for not knowing the back history of Jackson. There are enough of us old goats still alive and kicking to make sure all the young pups aren't led astray.

Trey Burke fan. I started watching so many Jazz games this season I just decide to join. I guess it makes sense considering that I was born and raised in New Orleans that I would end up following the Jazz.

The guy didn't like John Stockton, so what. He is a damn good coach.

here's some detail to pad out that "didn't like john stockton" thing - link

there's wanting to be a starter (doesn't everyone?) and then there's undermining/alienating your teammates in an attempt to move up the depth chart. jackson has a well-established record of cockheadery.

I don't believe he wanted to start over Stockton. I don't know where people get the idea. He simply believed the Jazz should change some of the offensive system. For example, at the time, Sloan was opposed to alley oops, which Jackson was the master of -- just about the best oop passer ever in the NBA, and he wanted to incorporate it on a more regular basis. That was one thing I recall. Not sure what the other suggestions he had were. I don't believe there was bad blood between him and Stockton though. If people can show me evidence of that, I'd like to see it. I guess some people point to some comments he made when he was a broadcaster, but I don't believe he ever slighted Stockton's greatness.

You are forgiven
I don't believe he wanted to start over Stockton. I don't know where people get the idea. He simply believed the Jazz should change some of the offensive system. For example, at the time, Sloan was opposed to alley oops, which Jackson was the master of -- just about the best oop passer ever in the NBA, and he wanted to incorporate it on a more regular basis. That was one thing I recall. Not sure what the other suggestions he had were. I don't believe there was bad blood between him and Stockton though. If people can show me evidence of that, I'd like to see it. I guess some people point to some comments he made when he was a broadcaster, but I don't believe he ever slighted Stockton's greatness.
this is from a fan blog so take it with a grain of salt, but this is what was said with in the org

The NBA’s alltime assist leader [John Stockton] may be getting a push out the door by his new backup this season and the No. 2 man on the career assist list, 38-year-old Mark Jackson. Three members of the Jazz organization now understand why Jackson has been traded seven times in his 16-year career: They say that over a period of weeks, he succeeded in turning several teammates against Stockton by repeatedly remarking that those players would be better off if Jackson were the Jazz’s floor leader. Other players rallied around Stockton, who, because of his quiet nature, was vulnerable to the locker room politicking. The rift on the Jazz was mended, though not before Stockton’s pride had been wounded. “There was no question it hurt John, because you could see him withdraw,” says a high-ranking team official. “But he’ll never talk about it, just as he won’t talk about injuries, because then he feels like he’s making excuses for himself.”

Sloan reached a breaking point in mid-January, when he lost his temper over the divisiveness on his team and stormed out of the gym during practice. He was threatening to retire then and there, only to be dissuaded at an emergency meeting called by team owner Larry Miller, president Dennis Haslam, general manager Kevin O’Connor and Sloan’s wife, Bobbye. “That had the real potential of Jerry saying, ‘To heck with it,’ and walking away,” says Miller, who believes that Sloan’s seven-game suspension for shoving referee Courtney Kirkland on Jan. 28 was the result of his built-up frustrations.
I have a better chance of becoming the Jazz coach.

If you and Jackson were the only two available to coach this team, I'd pick ya. Let's just be very thankful this isn't the case:)

lolercoaster.gif

I read that he has almost zero chance of becoming the head coach of Utah because during his one-year tenure as Stockton's back-up, he openly had issues with Stockton and Sloan. I think the Miller family would always side with Sloan and Stockton over Mark Jackson, which would cut out the coach's legs before he even started.

I have the perfect solution.

Hire Stockton as HC, and Jackson as 1st assistant.

That would be the best of both worlds.
I'm sure they are best of friends so this would work out great.

I have the perfect solution.

Hire Stockton as HC, and Jackson as 1st assistant.

That would be the best of both worlds.
I'm sure they are best of friends so this would work out great.
And add Isiah Thomas to the staff as the team trainer/stitch man.

Hell naw to Mr. Jackson. He divided our locker room as a player, and he's divided his locker room among his staff as an HC.