What's new

Is Mark Jackson a good fit for the Jazz?

Don't know. But the mere fact that a head coach is also holding religious services for his players is alarming and should be cause for investigation. Doubt playing time is affected; you're not going to sit a starter just because he's a "heathen' in the eyes of the coach. But it may very well have affected Jackson's relationships with his assistants. And it could be a factor as decisions are made over bench players going into each season (if Mark has a voice). IMO, there's a HUGE difference between being religious and even attending a pre-game prayer with any players who want to participate vs. being the one holding/conducting actual services as the minister and transporting players to those services.

This could be the major reason they let Jackson go. All the other reasons they gave are just excuses for something they're not revealing.

Is the reverend taken serious as a religious leader?

They used to have a game on one of the LA radio stations where they would play a phrase from Jesse Jackson and you'd have to guess what the hell he was talking about. It was freakin' hilarious. I think the same can be said of Mark Jackson. Here are a couple of quotes from his post-firing interview with Dan Patrick.

"Things had to change," Jackson said, and then he elaborated on how he felt undermined by ex-members of his staff.
"What happens is, in this business, you got assistants are people who all of a sudden see, if I say we should've did this and I say we should've did that, all of a sudden I might move up the charts," Jackson said. "So you create an environment where people begin to just give a little bit of gray area, and who knows? And that's not fair to anybody. And it's unfortunate, but there's a reason that what happened with my two guys happened. That's just a fact."

And then there's this one from Mark Jackson, reverend and amateur OB/GYN doctor:
"I had a lot invested," Jackson said. "I talked about it in my meeting. The unfortunate thing is the pregnancy happened, the baby was carried for nine months or for three years, they watched the labor pains and being in the hospital and somebody else is going sit there and be able to grab the head of the baby when it's born."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-o...kson-on-dan-patrick-show-things-had-to-change

Don't know. But the mere fact that a head coach is also holding religious services for his players is alarming and should be cause for investigation. Doubt playing time is affected; you're not going to sit a starter just because he's a "heathen' in the eyes of the coach. But it may very well have affected Jackson's relationships with his assistants. And it could be a factor as decisions are made over bench players going into each season (if Mark has a voice). IMO, there's a HUGE difference between being religious and even attending a pre-game prayer with any players who want to participate vs. being the one holding/conducting actual services as the minister and transporting players to those services.
It's a horrible precident. Imagine being a bench/scrub type player, who has to make the decision to suck up to his boss and go to a church service he doesn't want to go to, or not and have his job taken by another scrub player who does.

Lol at Mark Jackson saying if he lived in the Bay Area he would be at home with his family all the time. Guess he forgot about https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...-stripper-naked-photos-feds-article-1.1104142
His ministry was the cause of his adultery. He can't live in the Bay Area because his ministry is in LA. And the time away from home means he's subject to the weaknesses of the flesh. So he makes the sacrifice of adultery for his God. It's very simple to understand.

The bias on this site against Jackson is unbelievable. They almost beat the Clipppers - now that is a team that is stacked, not the Warriors. Yes, the Warriors have a good roster but without Bogut they are very thin up front. With Bogut, I believe they would've beaten the Clippers. Ty is not in the same league as a coach as Jackson, not even close. But it's not that important for me to continue this argument. People on this site hate Jackson because of the problems he caused when he played for the Jazz, which causes their bias. To be honest, I think some of the points Jackson made about the team when he was playing for the Jazz were actually on the money. But probably it's the way he presented them that caused all the problems. I did see the post that said he wanted to take over the starting role from Stockton -- I don't recall that at the time, and in any case, Stockton was still a better player and Jackson had no business starting over him. When Jackson played, however, he did play well. I think people tend to forget that. Of course, their bias blinds them to any semblance of truth.

setting aside our wounded jazz-hearts, there are sufficient of reasons to stay away from jackson based purely on his stint with the warriors.

https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/68070/mark-jacksons-way-and-the-highway

https://blogs.mercurynews.com/warri...n-hard-right-and-necessary-for-the-next-step/

obviously a prominent portion of the playing group loved him, but there were plenty within the warriors org who wanted him out.

all this makes him an awful fit, which was the original question. he sounds like the coaching equivalent of a locker-room cancer.