What's new

Is this the years DM finally sheds

Young players take a while to become efficient. Donovan is amazing for his age and experience. Here is some food for thought. Look at the stat line below, it was the 4th year for this guy. Very similar to Donovan's 2nd year. Only real difference is free throws.

Mystery player
View attachment 7723

Donovan
View attachment 7724

Who is the mystery guy? None other than James Harden. Who is now one of the most efficient players... ever. This was his first year in Houston when he first had to carry the load.

That's not true. With ts%, you usually know what a player will be like early on. Harden was always efficient and getting to where he is now was predictable. If anything is noticeable it's a jump from rookie to sophomore season, but again, not always the case. With guys like DM, who have played a ton of minutes and put up a lot of shots, their first two years are generally telling of who they are efficiency wise. Some make that 10% improvement to get up into the 57-58% range, but I doubt you'll find many high volume shooters on the low end of efficiency where DM currently is who went on to get into that elite 60%+ range.

DM at just 57-58% ts% would be phenomenal for the Jazz.

Maybe he did mean players that surround him and tell him how awesome his style is.
Did you all ever think of that?
I did think that, but it references something about “when he got done complementing Conley, he then turned to Bojan,” (paraphrase).

I did think that, but it references something about “when he got done complementing Conley, he then turned to Bojan,” (paraphrase).
812b292310d5582bbc0a7ec0dcda66a01aefed1a6cc9bd0dd9f9b6e63948bd98.jpg

You're getting the article confused with the post.
Perhaps, but the way JS was talking it seemed he was confusing the article with the post. Or perhaps I’m just confusing myself about him being confused.

Not a knock on DM but I do think there’s a chance his raw numbers aren’t as high as we are thinking. I could see him being around 22-23 pts on really nice efficiency... we have more weapons and the ball should be spread around a bit more. I’m curious to see what he looks like in space.

I’m curious to see how things are allocated... I doubt DM’s offense gets lost in the shuffle but there might be a slow start to the season or times when he’s balancing looking for his shot aggressively and deferring to others.

I think he will be improved and life should be easier but there will be new challenges.
Consistently one of the best posters on this site. HH.

The fact that he won’t have to carry the full load leads me to think he’ll score more, the fact that he was over 20 the past two years tells me he is an elite scorer considering all the attention he received with constant double and triple teams. He’s going to have more room. It wouldn’t surprise me if he were anywhere between 25-30 pts. I also think it leads to more ft’s. It will be Conley’s and Bogie that see a decrease in scoring, not Mitchell, I also think Goberts scoring goes up as well

STAHP WITH THE CARMELLO ANTHONY DEFENSE FOR DM's CHUCKING INEFFICIENCY.

Just stop. Anthony wasn't inefficient because he had to create all his own shots and teams focused on him more. He was simply an inefficient player, like DM. Your Carmello Anthony defense reminds me of this article about DM: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-mitchell-was-just-okay-as-an-nba-rookie/amp/

DM going to average 25-5-5 or 27-6-6?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...0-mvp-rankings-whos-coming-for-giannis-throne

Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz

With Mike Conley now in place to share the playmaking load, Bojan Bogdanovic offering more shooting in the first unit and a defense that seems incapable of finishing worse than fifth, the conditions for a Mitchell leap are all in place.

Heading into his age-23 season, Mitchell will need only modest statistical improvement on last year's averages of 23.8 points, 4.2 assists and 4.1 rebounds to post a 25-5-5 stat line. A slightly larger step forward (which is within the realm of possibility) could get him to 27-6-6. If he does that for a 55-win team that finishes among the top three in the Western Conference, he'll be in the MVP conversation.

A little too early to bump but what the hell. 11 games in and he's only been inefficient once against MIL. Sitting around where I said his ceiling is at .571 ts%.

For those using the dumb Carmello defense, credit for his improvement does not go to the team. This is DM shooting much better.

Players often take the leap in their third year. I feel like anyone who expected him to be great in the second year with that roster were being really unreasonable. Plus he was injured.

A little too early to bump but what the hell. 11 games in and he's only been inefficient once against MIL. Sitting around where I said his ceiling is at .571 ts%.

For those using the dumb Carmello defense, credit for his improvement does not go to the team. This is DM shooting much better.
I agree largely with your assessment. However I think the team has something to do with it. Not entirely of course, but having greater faith in the team helps with confidence, and feeling less pressure has something to do with being able to maintain composure. Both of those things have contributed to his better performance imo. Although those cannot be quantified, I think they cannot be completed discounted either.

I agree largely with your assessment. However I think the team has something to do with it. Not entirely of course, but having greater faith in the team helps with confidence, and feeling less pressure has something to do with being able to maintain composure. Both of those things have contributed to his better performance imo. Although those cannot be quantified, I think they cannot be completed discounted either.

A bit speculative. Having confidence in a good team to cover for mistakes can also lead to more risk taking, lower efficiency. "If I mess this up I we have enough to cover for me".

I was referring to having a better built offensive squad around him opening up easier scoring. While I'm sure there is plenty of that, the improvements I'm seeing are Donovan's. He's hitting shots that he was missing last year. His drive looks much better, deadly, not so often caught in no man's land (like we're now seeing too often from Conley).

Just my .02, and while I'm at it tl/dr this Mudiay guy has been really fun to watch at times. Is there a church to Mudiay thread or a dumbass Mud nickname thread yet?

This is a good time to revisit this thread. Mitchell is shooting 48.4% from the field and 40.8% from three - really, really good numbers for a SG.

A chucker misses forced shots and a guy who hits forced shots is considered clutch.

A chucker is a player who tends to chuck and a clutch player tends to hit tough shots to some acceptable, undetermined degree.

The question is how often can a player have a bad shooting night, forcing shots, and not be considered a chucker?

Regarding this question, I think a player like James Harden is ideal to look at as he tends to swing the pendulum the most.

A bit speculative. Having confidence in a good team to cover for mistakes can also lead to more risk taking, lower efficiency. "If I mess this up I we have enough to cover for me".

I was referring to having a better built offensive squad around him opening up easier scoring. While I'm sure there is plenty of that, the improvements I'm seeing are Donovan's. He's hitting shots that he was missing last year. His drive looks much better, deadly, not so often caught in no man's land (like we're now seeing too often from Conley).

Just my .02, and while I'm at it tl/dr this Mudiay guy has been really fun to watch at times. Is there a church to Mudiay thread or a dumbass Mud nickname thread yet?
Agreed. I know the other aspect is completely subjective. I was partly pulling from personal experience as a high school player who had extra pressure as one of the few guys who could score consistently due to injuries. My own efficiency went up after the 2 guys came back because I didn't feel the pressure to always be the only one creating and the need to make every shot. I could relax and it made my shot more consistent and hence I made more of them. I thought some of that must translate over here as well to some degree, especially seeing how poised he has been.

Agreed. I know the other aspect is completely subjective. I was partly pulling from personal experience as a high school player who had extra pressure as one of the few guys who could score consistently due to injuries. My own efficiency went up after the 2 guys came back because I didn't feel the pressure to always be the only one creating and the need to make every shot. I could relax and it made my shot more consistent and hence I made more of them. I thought some of that must translate over here as well to some degree, especially seeing how poised he has been.
More like 5 guys. Or 6. Glad you eventually got your chance, doe :p

More like 5 guys. Or 6. Glad you eventually got your chance, doe :p
Fine, it was a bus accident, all right! I didn't cut the lines, you did! Shut up!