What's new

Its Time to Tank

Tanking isn't mandatory to give young players minutes.

Who said it was mandatory? When tanking there will be ample dev time. Ochai getting DNPs ain’t helping… so you clear the rotation a bit. It’s seriously not hard to understand if you read the actual words people write and not force additional ******** in there.
And most of the tankers seem quite happy to have Sexton NOT play any minutes for as long as possible. Tanking and playing with what the current Jazz bench mostly is also doesn't develop young players. Every coach wants to put young players in situations where they're likely to succeed, get positive experiences and build their confidence. Losing most nights and playing with borderline NBA players is a situation for any young player to fail, not succeed and lose their confidence. Not all minutes are equal.

Well, other tankers don't seem to think so. In every game thread they're hoping for "injuries" (or even injuries).

Yes we are all holding hands praying for torn Achilles… lol maybe one person suggested it and most posters shamed them into silence… but sure we are praying the team plane crashes into a mountain and we have to forfeit every game.
Some want Lauri benched if doesn't agree to sit out the rest of the season.

I was super clear… like 100% clear on my feeling there.
If, as you say, you're all about giving young players minutes and letting the chips fall where they may, then why does it seem you want to be the main brigadier general of the tankers? The tankers out there only care about the lotto balls and are happy for Sexton play 0 minutes.
I’m super consistent… front offices tank… not coaches not players… that is how it always has been. If a player is hurt then sit em… if they are healthy play em. I’ve literally did maybe a dozen times… rely on the youth and if the youth is too good then oh well.

The tankers only care about lotto balls… lol… even though they have all basically said no that’s isn’t the only thing they care about.

You’re either trolling (likely) or incapable of comprehensive reading… either way you are a waste of my time and can join Eddie on the ignore list.

I’m no longer addressing this stuff… the posters that are pro losing games to improve draft position are not all the same… they don’t have the same exact views and almost none of us are seriously considering the nefarious actions some suggest. No one wants an injury. If you don’t understand the benefit of having a higher pick I can’t say any other words to help you understand… fan how you want… I will do so also.

Can we just stop this discussion...

Its useless and its gonna lead to more cuss words than constructive ideas or revelations.

The chips will fall where they may. Some of us hope we get a high pick (myself included).. while others hope we get to the playoffs.

Whatever happens, we are still in a good place with the roster already and getting 3 FRPs this year (unless we trade them, move up etc).. and we should be happy either way.

Can we just stop this discussion...

Its useless and its gonna lead to more cuss words than constructive ideas or revelations.

The chips will fall where they may. Some of us hope we get a high pick (myself included).. while others hope we get to the playoffs.

Whatever happens, we are still in a good place with the roster already and getting 3 FRPs this year (unless we trade them, move up etc).. and we should be happy either way.
This debate will never end lol
This org made some tank worthy moves by who they gave up, but countered any full tank mode options by the employment of players they got back from said tank worthy moves last summer. Even the tank like moves at the deadline turned out to just open the door for players to step up and they are.
This roster is not bad enough to lose enough without forced resting of the best players down the stretch.
Still a chance that goes down late in the season if and only if the teams record is already out of the play in no matter what. Then they rest everyone good and lose lose lose to finish the season with a better lottery odds.
I expect other teams to do the same and we will not be picking in the top 10 without starting to rest the Finnisher a lot really soon but instead will be in the play in for sure.

Who is just having his real breakout season. Shutting him down or harming his development is Bulls' level stuff. Tank with the bench guys or something if needed.
Ehh, shutting him down would be smart IMO. It would suck for Lauri though, but it wouldnt really hurt his development. He played all summer and he's played a ton of minutes this season. He's had enough development.

I know it's not possible so I'm not going to bang a drum about it, but if he gets any kind of tweak you rest him extra games than you would if you were really trying to win.

This debate will never end lol
This org made some tank worthy moves by who they gave up, but countered any full tank mode options by the employment of players they got back from said tank worthy moves last summer. Even the tank like moves at the deadline turned out to just open the door for players to step up and they are.
This roster is not bad enough to lose enough without forced resting of the best players down the stretch.
Still a chance that goes down late in the season if and only if the teams record is already out of the play in no matter what. Then they rest everyone good and lose lose lose to finish the season with a better lottery odds.
I expect other teams to do the same and we will not be picking in the top 10 without starting to rest the Finnisher a lot really soon but instead will be in the play in for sure.
I think Lakers are gonna come up. One of us, Pels and Minny will go down. Theoretically, OKC could come up as well and they seem motivated to do so... but after seeing us beat them on one of our worst 3P shooting nights.. I think we match up against them really well.

(They shot bad from 3 as well but thats what they always do)

I just hope the Pels wake up. Just like us, they have a shot at 2 lottery picks and they shouldnt get any to add to that core.

Ehh, shutting him down would be smart IMO. It would suck for Lauri though, but it wouldnt really hurt his development. He played all summer and he's played a ton of minutes this season. He's had enough development.

I know it's not possible so I'm not going to bang a drum about it, but if he gets any kind of tweak you rest him extra games than you would if you were really trying to win.
I think Lauri is turning more alpha by the day. I dont think shutting that down is smart. He seems to be still progressing.

I’m no longer addressing this stuff… the posters that are pro losing games to improve draft position are not all the same… they don’t have the same exact views and almost none of us are seriously considering the nefarious actions some suggest. No one wants an injury. If you don’t understand the benefit of having a higher pick I can’t say any other words to help you understand… fan how you want… I will do so also.
Yep. Im a tanker. All that means is I would rather lose most of our games this season than win them. This doesn't mean I want to trade our best players for trash. I dont want Lauri to be traded for scrubs. I dont want to trade kessler for picks. I dont want to trade sexton for dante exum.
I just would prefer if we lose most of the time rather than win. Like I would be happy if we get unlucky in a game. Say we play awesome and miss a buzzer beater. Maybe the refs screw us over and we lose that way. Maybe we just catch a team when they are on fire from three. I would like Kessler to take a few 3's per game. Play Ochai 35 minutes per game from day 1. (same with Kessler). Play conley 20 minutes and Sexton and THT much more than they were. Things like that. Nothing crazy. I think that is how most "tankers" are.

There is a difference between thinking losses this season might be better for the jazz in the coming seasons versus wanting the jazz to trade all their best players for all the worst players and have the worst team in history and lose by 30 every night.

I think Lauri is turning more alpha by the day. I dont think shutting that down is smart. He seems to be still progressing.
SO you think if he misses like 10 of the last however many games are left, his development is going to be stunted and he wont be as good next year?

Cmon now

Yep. Im a tanker. All that means is I would rather lose most of our games this season than win them. This doesn't mean I want to trade our best players for trash. I dont want Lauri to be traded for scrubs. I dont want to trade kessler for picks. I dont want to trade sexton for dante exum.
I just would prefer if we lose most of the time rather than win. Like I would be happy if we get unlucky in a game. Say we play awesome and miss a buzzer beater. Maybe the refs screw us over and we lose that way. Maybe we just catch a team when they are on fire from three. I would like Kessler to take a few 3's per game. Play Ochai 35 minutes per game from day 1. (same with Kessler). Play conley 20 minutes and Sexton and THT much more than they were. Things like that. Nothing crazy. I think that is how most "tankers" are.

There is a difference between thinking losses this season might be better for the jazz in the coming seasons versus wanting the jazz to trade all their best players for all the worst players and have the worst team in history and lose by 30 every night.
All of this. And it’s been a fun year. I am excited to go back to strictly cheering for wins next year though.

SO you think if he misses like 10 of the last however many games are left, his development is going to be stunted and he wont be as good next year?

Cmon now
Why do you insist you can read my mind? I said none of that. Ask "why do you think so" instead and you will end up sounding smarter.

Extra touches, extra shots and playing against the type of defensive focus he gets carrying the team right now is going to benefit him a lot. We just traded a bunch of guys which really enabled him to start doing more.

Playing without Conley he has to create more himself.
Playing without Beasley means more shots and usage.

Also the more he gains confidence now, the better. I would also make a wild guess he has never loved playing as much as right now...

Next year the team will be a lot different, so who knows how good that situation is for such accelerated development.

I mean we have no chance of beating Denver or Memphis in a 7 game series, so unless we win enough and other lose enough that we can get into a position to face the 3rd or 4th seed where we might play spoiler. I think we should just throw in the towel by telling the starters they are not good enough to win, without a high lottery pick to join them, and taking one for the team is a realty they will have to get used to doing. now go sit down and limp on your way. But that will never happen because no one player from this draft is making that much difference outside of 3 or 4 and even if we tank now, we aint getting any of them without long odds luck.
Just play to win and if you aint good enough you will be in the lottery with a long odds shot at one. But ultimately will draft somebody similar to who you would have gotten had you lost in the first round anyway.
The difference between 12th and 16th is minimal and nothing like the larger difference between 3rd and 7th

We may be tanking but we are still better than the Spurs even with our depleted roster. I expect the next two games against the Spurs the Jazz will win. Plus all this winning strengthens confidence in our young players. The Jazz may steal a win against a good team. I think Jazz may be a playin team and it may win that game (thus knocking themselves out of the lottery)

Back