What's new

Its Time to Tank

As much as I’d like to get a pick as high as possible in this draft, ~9-13 is pretty flat so maybe I need to chill now that the Jazz have already taken themselves out of running for 7 and above and probably 8 as well.

As much as I’d like to get a pick as high as possible in this draft, ~9-13 is pretty flat so maybe I need to chill now that the Jazz have already taken themselves out of running for 7 and above and probably 8 as well.
How so?

#9 is 20%
#10 is 14%
#11 is 9%
Below that is 4.8%
for top four odds.

We definitely don't want to go lower than #9. #8 is almost 10% better than nine though. :(

How so?

#9 is 20%
#10 is 14%
#11 is 9%
Below that is 4.8%
for top four odds.

We definitely don't want to go lower than #9. #8 is almost 10% better than nine though. :(
I think #9 is likely and I think its fairly substantial... not just for draft odds... I think there is a small step down around #11 on my board. #9 basically guarantees top 10 pick.

Wemby
Scoot
Miller
Amen
Ausar
Whitmore
Hendo
Walker
Black
Wallace

in some order.

Would hate to get a tie for 10 and lose a coin toss or land 10 and someone jumps up. Dallas really screwed the pooch with their Hornets losses but should still find a way to be a game ahead of us.... maybe. Their schedule is kinda rough.

There is no way we end up 7 or 8.

Huge tank games tonight... if Dallas loses they are done... if we win that sucks... Minny desperately needs to lose... and NO should be able to get a win tonight.

Also the tank is dead and Minny will win every game the rest of the season.

I think we sit Lauri again tonight, then he comes back against SA and BOS since we probably lose/win with or without him, then he's shut down for the rest of the year.

not sure i care too much if the jazz draft at 7 or at 12. i just want to be in the lottery and get lucky - top 3 pick. after the top 3, you can basically just throw a dart and hope your guy becomes a great player. several with star potential, all with legitimate concerns.

Looks like Lauri wants to play every game til the end of the season and we have to appease him.

Can’t help but think couldn’t Ainge have a sit down with him and outline our draft plans?

I think that would go a long way towards having him buy into what we’re doing.

Looks like Lauri wants to play every game til the end of the season and we have to appease him.

Can’t help but think couldn’t Ainge have a sit down with him and outline our draft plans?

I think that would go a long way towards having him buy into what we’re doing.
Too much copium here mate. Dont confuse the fan board plans and FO plans with each other.

While we are passionate about "maybe moving up 1 spot and increasing top 4 odds by 10%" or something the FO is more idgaf about it than us. Thats the benefit of being a fan.. we can only stare at results but the FO has to worry about continuity aspects and relationships and ****.

Too much copium here mate. Dont confuse the fan board plans and FO plans with each other.

While we are passionate about "maybe moving up 1 spot and increasing top 4 odds by 10%" or something the FO is more idgaf about it than us. Thats the benefit of being a fan.. we can only stare at results but the FO has to worry about continuity aspects and relationships and ****.
Posted this in the game thread..

"Lauri has that Harry Potter look on his face that 1 year Dumbledore ignored him at Hogswarts..

Ainge needs to go talk to him about the 'Grand Plan'. "

Posted this in the game thread..

"Lauri has that Harry Potter look on his face that 1 year Dumbledore ignored him at Hogswarts..

Ainge needs to go talk to him about the 'Grand Plan'. "
If you mean we need to worry about that relationship and have a discussion... then sure. But I still think the grand plan is our plan, not our FO's. The team is still kinda lingering with the "play it out and see what happens" mentality.

We only have 1 clear schedule loss (@BOS) remaining and all other games are 50/50 games or something close to that. I personally hope we lose 2 of our next 3 and play-in line holds around 39 losses... since that would make it easier to call it for the season. Our last 5 games are not tankable if we are still in range of the 10th seed.. since we play 3 games against those play-in teams and its not a difficult stretch if DEN rests their starters.

If you mean we need to worry about that relationship and have a discussion... then sure. But I still think the grand plan is our plan, not our FO's. The team is still kinda lingering with the "play it out and see what happens" mentality.

We only have 1 clear schedule loss (@BOS) remaining and all other games are 50/50 games or something close to that. I personally hope we lose 2 of our next 3 and play-in line holds around 39 losses... since that would make it easier to call it for the season. Our last 5 games are not tankable if we are still in range of the 10th seed.. since we play 3 games against those play-in teams and its not a difficult stretch if DEN rests their starters.
Yeah of course I'm worried about the relationship, that's the most important thing. You don't want the guy disheartened. He's the most important guy on our team right now.

That look I saw at the end of the game wasn't good. Ainge needs to pull him aside and say something.

The Dumbledore treatment isn't gonna work IMO.

Yeah of course I'm worried about the relationship, that's the most important thing. You don't want the guy disheartened. He's the most important guy on our team right now.

That look I saw at the end of the game wasn't good. Ainge needs to pull him aside and say something.
What's he gonna say though?

I don't think Lauri is stupid. He knows what's going on. But his career is at a point where he can't just keep postponing his goals. He's never tasted the playoffs.

This is exactly why tanking next season would also mean having to trade Lauri. It's just a choice that has to be made.

It may not even come down to outright tanking. If we don't hit the jackpot in the draft, Ainge needs to make a couple of big moves next summer. Othewise we'll just be bad again and realize early on we're not going for a playoff spot. That will probably have the same end result, as far as Lauri's fate.

Trouble is, we may not have enough to swing those big offseason moves even if we wanted to. FRP's don't buy you as much as they used to, particularly if you're Utah.

Last edited:
What's he gonna say though?

I don't think Lauri is stupid. He knows what's going on. But his career is at a point where he can't just keep postponing his goals. He's never tasted the playoffs.

This is exactly why tanking next season would also mean having to trade Lauri. It's just a choice that has to be made.

It may not even come down to outright tanking. If we don't hit the jackpot in the draft, Ainge needs to make a couple of big moves next summer. Othewise we'll just be bad again and realize early on we're not going for a playoff spot. That will probably have the same end result, as far as Lauri's fate.

Trouble is, we may not have enough to swing those big offseason moves even if we wanted to. FRP's don't buy you as much as they used to, particularly if you're Utah.
We're not tanking next year man, that's the first thing.

Secondly, we'll be good next year I can guarantee it. I mean look at the standings, we were like 4 wins behind Phoenix and many are saying they could win the West this year. And we're trying to tank (lite) this year!!!