What's new

Its Time to Tank

Actually tanking would guarantee us a top 8 pick which is a great worst case scenario. Best case scenario we get lucky and jump into the top 2 but no one is expecting that. Also the best part of tanking is that we finally give heavy minutes to the youngsters which is what we need so we can figure who could be a keeper and what positions of need we need to focus on.
Not garantee but it can happen. Ja land to Memphis when Memphis was not tanking a lot. Anyway, it's only 27 games and they is zero reason to try to win. GSW, Lakers, Minny will make a run and are better than us. We will have to fight with Portland and OKC to be at the best position possible in the lottery .

Why?
If next 2 seasons ( 2023-2024 and 2024-2025 ) are more tanking than winning Lauri walks out for free summer 2025.

24 months ( 2 years ) is not plenty of time and that will run out fast.
Of course Ainge can trade Lauri at some point if it looks that he's going to test 2025 UFA free-agency that way Lauri will not walk out for free.
Yo Einstein so we tank hard now for the only time for two months yeah and then game of after this draft which is amazing ???

The FO is on the clock and we will soon find out what the roster trims will be. Lets try not to set the world on fire before that. I think we will steer towards youth minutes (coach + FO codeword agreement for "tank"), and I think if we trade or bench Conley it will help us lose more. I'm not sure if selling Clarkson is a tank move.. I sometimes feel like he is the best tank commander keeping the ball away from Lauri.

Keep this in mind however:
The "youth" lineup of Lauri, Kessler, Ochai, Sexton + whoever is not gonna finish the season with 5-25 or something. Remember that "tanking" in the traditional meaning is a firesale including your best players. We dont intend to trade our 2 best players, and Ochai/Sexton getting 25+ minutes might end up working better than expected. There is a world where we actually become better, since suddenly our perimeter defense becomes much improved and we can still score enough points to win even without the flamethrowers and Conleys assists...

I'm just hoping those who are for hardcore tanking wont be flaming the boards rest of the season if we end up not sucking well enough.

If i was the GM i will trade Beasley and KO. Find some injuries for Lauri and Mike to make sure they miss at least 10-12 games each and we are in the lottery.

If i was the GM i will trade Beasley and KO. Find some injuries for Lauri and Mike to make sure they miss at least 10-12 games each and we are in the lottery.
Yeah and if you were the GM and told our medical staff to fake injury reports to tank the competition committee would never catch wind, step in and take those picks completely away from us... right?

I'm pretty sure "precautionary measures" will be used for small knicks and bruises. But other than that, as long as we keep Lauri and Kessler there is nothing Danny can really do except sell some of the other chips and hope the young guys dont play too well in their place.

Look at all the star ( including Don) how many games they miss for small injuries or maintenance. A lot and there nothing the NBA can do.

Look at all the star ( including Don) how many games they miss for small injuries or maintenance. A lot and there nothing the NBA can do.
Dude its different for competing teams. But if someone looks like they are losing intentionally by faking injuries the twitter armies will call it out and NBA is forced to investigate. Especially this year, with high stakes at the top of the lottery.

But we are bad enough ( with a bit of management ) to go for 5-22 on the last 27 games.
For a 50 % team to go 5-22 is extremely, extremely unlikely.

Of course, if it's Dok and Gay out there, it's not a 50 % team.

But why would Lauri sit voluntarily for a single game? He's just now making his breakthrough and looking to develop his game every night. "We might get the 8th pick instead of 14" - yeah, no.

Dude its different for competing teams. But if someone looks like they are losing intentionally by faking injuries the twitter armies will call it out and NBA is forced to investigate. Especially this year, with high stakes at the top of the lottery.
Not faking. This time of year anyone can have knee soreness or ankle soreness or plantar fasciitis you need to manage. Sit the vets on b2bs. Stiffness, soreness, tendinitis is not hard to find.

Don’t be nefarious… but a couple trades and benching a guy to see what a rookie has and you go on a 2-8 game stint.

As far as competition committees go… OKC shut down SGA multiple times for plantar fasciitis … no consequence. They shut down Al Horford for 50 games just because and no consequence… the tanking raps shut down Lowry for no reason… zero consequence. Resting Lauri, Mike, JC for 5 games out of 30 for various reasons… is really easy.

Not faking. This time of year anyone can have knee soreness or ankle soreness or plantar fasciitis you need to manage. Sit the vets on b2bs. Stiffness, soreness, tendinitis is not hard to find.

Don’t be nefarious… but a couple trades and benching a guy to see what a rookie has and you go on a 2-8 game stint.

As far as competition committees go… OKC shut down SGA multiple times for plantar fasciitis … no consequence. They shut down Al Horford for 50 games just because and no consequence… the tanking raps shut down Lowry for no reason… zero consequence. Resting Lauri, Mike, JC for 5 games out of 30 for various reasons… is really easy.
Yes but in order to have knee soreness there has to be knee soreness. If the player says "I'm fine" there is nothing the med staff can do.

If I was too sinister about it that was not my intention. However this year Silver gave a warning that they are monitoring this kind of stuff extra careful (because of Wemby). I trust the FO knows where the limit is, and as I said the "precautionary outs" will likely come to play. But not to the tune of Lauri missing half our remaining games (unless there is at least some legit minor injury).

Tell to me 10 potential franchise talent who will be available for Jazz in TOP10 / TOP15 lottery pick.
But don't count Wemby and Scoot those guys are TOP2 lottery pick franchise talents and both aren't available in TOP10 / TOP15.
Just stop it. We aren't expecting some franchise level player. What we want is the best chance to get a guy that could be really good though. There are plenty of other guys in this draft with high ceilings and fill needs for this team.

Yeah and if you were the GM and told our medical staff to fake injury reports to tank the competition committee would never catch wind, step in and take those picks completely away from us... right?

I'm pretty sure "precautionary measures" will be used for small knicks and bruises. But other than that, as long as we keep Lauri and Kessler there is nothing Danny can really do except sell some of the other chips and hope the young guys dont play too well in their place.

You are so over complicating this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with just giving guys rest days and the nba can't do **** about it because every other team does it. The nugs rested 4 starters the other night.

Lauri is in a 2-game mini-slump. Maybe he takes a few games to get past it or he is strategically "rested" ala Kawhi "I'd Rather be in Cancun" Leonard. And we go into a double-digit losing streak. Solidify that draft positions a bit before all-star break.

Lauri is in a 2-game mini-slump. Maybe he takes a few games to get past it or he is strategically "rested" ala Kawhi "I'd Rather be in Cancun" Leonard. And we go into a double-digit losing streak. Solidify that draft positions a bit before all-star break.
Not next game though. Its Minny with rest advantage (they play Nuggets on the road today and us tomorrow)

Not next game though. Its Minny with rest advantage (they play Nuggets on the road today and us tomorrow)
At this point odds are our pick will be better than Minny's pick anyway, so we might as well help our own tank, because winning that game doesn't do much to drop them further in the standings and it hurts our own tank.

At this point odds are our pick will be better than Minny's pick anyway, so we might as well help our own tank, because winning that game doesn't do much to drop them further in the standings and it hurts our own tank.
Well we will likely lose because of the distractions and likely trades happening that day.. but in the long run Minny demise serves us so much better.

Its improving 1 pick this year vs helping a team implode whose future we control.

Well we will likely lose because of the distractions and likely trades happening that day.. but in the long run Minny demise serves us so much better.

Its improving 1 pick this year vs helping a team implode whose future we control.
Its a no lose situation but also I prefer to beat them. We only control their destiny directly a few times and this is one we could easily win. Wonder if they punt the Denver game the night before.

Its a no lose situation but also I prefer to beat them. We only control their destiny directly a few times and this is one we could easily win. Wonder if they punt the Denver game the night before.
And it's not just about record, we want to make sure they miss the playoffs. That would probably mean 3-4 spots better pick, plus a chance to win big.

And it's not just about record, we want to make sure they miss the playoffs. That would probably mean 3-4 spots better pick, plus a chance to win big.
Most importantly, if they miss the playoffs their offseason is gonna be absolute media turmoil.

My pipe dream is that Rudy becomes the fall guy and they trade him away for a bag of chips and he lands in a good situation, after which Minny realizes the problem was never Rudy and they fall into the abyss donating us top 10 picks for years.