What's new

Its Time to Tank

To get the Lakers first...
Yes... I am aware of that... but what if you believed that was a horrible value and "basically a second round pick". Would you be convinced we do that trade? Cuz that's what Steve was spewing the night of the trade.

Yes... I am aware of that... but what if you believed that was a horrible value and "basically a second round pick". Would you be convinced we do that trade? Cuz that's what Steve was spewing the night of the trade.
The funny thing is, if you're arguing that the trade is only good if it improves our own draft pick this year, then you're essentially agreeing with me that it's otherwise terrible value.

I understand why they made the trade. I just thought it was garbage value.

It’s nothing to do with our own pick or not.. it’s whether the move takes us AWAY from making the playoffs or not this year.

Again I would argue that trading away 3 of your starters just as the playoffs race heats up equates to doing just that.
I think you just have a different definition of tanking than most people, which is fine.

The funny thing is, if you're arguing that the trade is only good if it improves our own draft pick this year, then you're essentially agreeing with me that it's otherwise terrible value.

Not at all. Simply swapping current value for future value. The resulting draft pick improvement is one of the factors. If there was no value in our own pick then I am fairly sure having a young team in the playoffs would have been prioritized over a first.
I understand why they made the trade. I just thought it was garbage value.
Why did they make the trade then... what was their thinking?

Not at all. Simply swapping current value for future value. The resulting draft pick improvement is one of the factors. If there was no value in our own pick then I am fairly sure having a young team in the playoffs would have been prioritized over a first.
So it sounds like you don't like the trade either if we ignore the potential benefit it provides to our own pick this year?

Why did they make the trade then... what was their thinking?
Primarily, to offload contracts of players not part of their future which opens up cap space for them to make any kind of trade they want.

So it sounds like you don't like the trade either if we ignore the potential benefit it provides to our own pick this year?

Not exactly. I also might value a pick and cap space more than a playoff series... but I think NBA teams might differ on that assessment. I think the potential benefit of improving our pick definitely swayed their thinking though. I would have probably been more "meh" on it as there would have been no rush to do the deal.
Primarily, to offload contracts of players not part of their future which opens up cap space for them to make any kind of trade they want.
Beasley we could just waive. Vando could be moved into some teams space pretty easily... Mike who knows. I think the value of the deal is the pick first, cap space second, improved lotto odds (potentially) third... might be tied for second.

I don't know for sure that we do it if we don't have control over our pick. Imagine a GM traded an unprotected pick... in playoff position... unloads three starters for a first... then the pick jumps into the top 4. The odds don't matter... these guys will try to avoid catastrophic fails. The value isn't SO amazing that a GM takes that chance imo.

Not to mention that Dok won't even be here next year.
Locke literally mentioned that fact too... He also then was like "what's going on in OKC" because SGA sat with an abdominal strain and Dort/Giddy only played 21 minutes. It was so hypocritical that I lold.

I highly doubt the org thinks enough of Locke to have him put a message out... But I think Locke thinks highly enough of himself to go cape for the team.

Back