What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I almost think doing the Westbrook deal gives you a little more leverage - "Hey Knicks... we aren't going to win either way next year, we are stocked with picks, we can be patient here and wait you out or we can do a deal with Toronto, Miami, etc. because we have what we need already."

Don could also request a trade in that scenario but not sure that changes things at all.

I almost think doing the Westbrook deal gives you a little more leverage - "Hey Knicks... we aren't going to win either way next year, we are stocked with picks, we can be patient here and wait you out or we can do a deal with Toronto, Miami, etc. because we have what we need already."

Don could also request a trade in that scenario but not sure that changes things at all.

I don’t think Donovan requesting a trade really changes much. He really shouldn’t because he will come out of this squeaky clean once a deal is made if he’s patient.

They can only offer the 2027 and 2029 picks. Rumors were the Lakers would put one pick in but Indiana wanted two. The Pacers owner is super old school so the whole "paying a guy 47M not to play for his team" is also a stumbling block supposedly.

I think a package we can put together would be a total game changer for them and they would give up the two picks. I know we can get more volume by piecing out the deals separately... but I'd rather have the quality of unprotected far out future picks. Bogey/JC/Conley/Vando/Bev/Beasley are all amazing fits for them... 3 or 4 of them in a deal makes Lakers a title contender if they get healthy years from AD and Lebron.
If we get the picks, what do we root for? LeBron to sign extension and occupy a large part of their cap to delay them on the upswing at that time?

Owning someone’s entire draft for the rest of the decade is one of the most powerful things you can have.
How about we trade them pick swaps every year for a decade and then take all their protected picks from elsewhere. Then they can sell it as only giving up protected picks.

How about we trade them pick swaps every year for a decade and then take all their protected picks from elsewhere. Then they can sell it as only giving up protected picks.

Lol, that would be awesome. We didn’t give up any of our firsts and we only gave up protected firsts!!!

23/24/25/26/27/28/29 pick swaps that we can swap with ours or Minnesota’s picks would be ****ing insane.

23/24/25/26/27/28/29 pick swaps that we can swap with ours or Minnesota’s picks would be ****ing insane.
Yeah, and I like @NUMBERICA’s super swap idea, but we should leave it open that it would even include the less favorable of any other first rounders we may obtain in the future. Someone get Danny on the phone.

Owning someone’s entire draft for the rest of the decade is one of the most powerful things you can have.
All of this talk of the NUMBER of picks, RJ, Toppin, Grimes, and Quickley should really just be an exercise in extracting exactly that scenario and nothing less.

I will ultimately take back Fournier and Rose for matching with no young players (but sending Gay) to get that outcome.

All of this talk of the NUMBER of picks, RJ, Toppin, Grimes, and Quickley should really just be an exercise in extracting exactly that scenario and nothing less.

I will ultimately take back Fournier and Rose for matching with no young players (but sending Gay) to get that outcome.
Running with @infection ’s suggestion…

Super duper swaps* for the next seven years and the four protected picks owed to the Knicks (no unprotected Knicks picks). The price for not taking any unprotected picks outright is Toppin, Grimes, AND Quickley (ammo in an LA deal and to cut the organic growth out from under them, but we keep Toppin). AND they keep RJ!

* language that allows for inclusion of picks yet to be acquired, if even possible

Running with @infection ’s suggestion…

Super duper swaps* for the next seven years, the four protected picks owed to the Knicks (no unprotected Knicks picks), but the price for that is Toppin, Grimes, AND Quickley (ammo in an LA deal and to cut the organic growth out from under them).

* language that allows for inclusion of picks yet to be acquired, if even possible
“We didn’t give up any of our own picks gave them a bunch of protected picks we acquired this off-season.”

The more I think about the trades the more I think nothing happens until close to Sept 6... once we can aggregate all that salary it can all be executed in one tornado of transactions. They could agree now but there is too much time for some weird **** to happen. Maybe something is announced a day or two before then but I think we still have a full month of rumorzzzzz season.

It will be interesting to see which fanbase gets more antsy in the meantime.