What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

If we want to really needle them we can ask for swaps that give them the worst of the 3 picks - worst of 2025 UTA, NYK, MIN picks... worst of 2027 UTA, NYK, MIN picks.
Only scenario to take back only two unprotected picks is if they basically get everything else: RJ, multiple blind super swaps, Grimes.

Kyrie staying also benefits the Jazz with the Lakers.

Two big dominoes just fell. Or didn’t. Maybe the metaphor is getting a bit stretched.
Nah, the dominoes fell, it just means the situation resolved. They needed to get out of the way so everyone can look to the next most important piece, Donovan.

Don's professionalism on this helps a ton as well. I hope we can get him somewhere where'll he'll be happy.
He's been so disciplined that I think he could run a team as a GM. It's been impressive. Maybe he could thrive under the relentless craziness of Dolan and the Knicks.

Tarnished his legacy?

C'mon now.

He's KD. He remained on brand.
Okay... he put a fresh coat of tarnish on that legacy. I was one of the few dudes around here that really didn't hold him leaving OKC against him a lot. Picking Kyrie as a partner is terrible judgement... but then to be like nah I'm out this **** you let me decide to do ain't working.

I'm out on him now. I loved KD. Back at my first office a bunch of the guys we'd play pickup with always gave me a bunch of cred for saying I'd take KD over Oden and it wasn't close. Anytime I'd say something wild at lunch they'd be like "well you did say you'd take KD over Oden". So it was a bit sentimental.

Only scenario to take back only two unprotected picks is if they basically get everything else: RJ, multiple blind super swaps, Grimes.
I actually think RJ is becoming a real possibility with the latest round of news. RJ and 2 unprotected, plus a swap, plus some protected picks is kinda neat... I ain't a big RJ fan but man if he hits that is a big time piece. I think they may have looked at the cap situation... what they have left to trade... and the fact that they have to feed Brunson, Don, Randle so maybe they change their tune on RJ and want Grimes.

I actually think RJ is becoming a real possibility with the latest round of news. RJ and 2 unprotected, plus a swap, plus some protected picks is kinda neat... I ain't a big RJ fan but man if he hits that is a big time piece. I think they may have looked at the cap situation... what they have left to trade... and the fact that they have to feed Brunson, Don, Randle so maybe they change their tune on RJ and want Grimes.
Grimes will be cheaper, has very useful skills, can mesh and is hungry to prove himself.

Long-term RJ is a good not great shooting/playmaker guard. He is worthwhile and keepable but not great for a bang for buck approach. The perfect Knick. He would be fine to acquire and to flip.

Grimes will be cheaper, has very useful skills, can mesh and is hungry to prove himself.
RJ is a 6'6 playmaker who has.never had a good offensive coach in his career. I'd take him.

Sure, no elite skills but size w/ ability to guard up a position and ball handling combo w/ ability to draw fouls is fairly high.

I doubt the KD news is a huge impact on Donovan stuff. The bigger thing is still training camp happening and just general NYK/Sports media talking about it.

Knicks B offer is still better than most teams all in packages, and the Knicks are still using that line to inform their offer.

RJ is a 6'6 playmaker who has.never had a good offensive coach in his career. I'd take him.

Sure, no elite skills but size w/ ability to guard up a position and ball handling combo w/ ability to draw fouls is fairly high.
Has shown the ability to defend and willingness to do so as well. Prioritize him and add some shooting around him and you may have something pretty great. Even if he is a sub AS player but is a two way wing and is good as a secondary creator... that is a max player.

I also have been adamant that you kind of want to lock in a RJ or Herro under this CBA and cap. They will be bargains in 2-3 years even at some version of the max (give them a max but make it flat instead of big increases). You can lock those guys up for 5 years on top of the year they have left. The cap increases 50% over that deal and you got yourself a bargain.

Has shown the ability to defend and willingness to do so as well. Prioritize him and add some shooting around him and you may have something pretty great. Even if he is a sub AS player but is a two way wing and is good as a secondary creator... that is a max player.

I also have been adamant that you kind of want to lock in a RJ or Herro under this CBA and cap. They will be bargains in 2-3 years even at some version of the max (give them a max but make it flat instead of big increases). You can lock those guys up for 5 years on top of the year they have left. The cap increases 50% over that deal and you got yourself a bargain.
I just hate Herro because we had the suped up version of him, Donovan, and it was very disappointing.

I just want something different for the next iteration of the team.

I'm sad that Bev likely never plays here. I've always been a fan... he crosses lines for sure but he hilarious.

I wish we could've got him a couple of years ago when we were competitive...the kind of toughness he brings was sorely lacking from our team, plus him on Ingles on the same team would've been entertaining as hell.

I just hate Herro because we had the suped up version of him, Donovan, and it was very disappointing.

I just want something different for the next iteration of the team.
I get that... I just think if you get that with picks and then add your own picks around it then maybe you make it work better.

I think Herro went from over-rated to under-rated real quick. I think it would be fun... maybe a little cringy at times.

Long-term RJ is a good not great shooting/playmaker guard. He is worthwhile and keepable but not great for a bang for buck approach. The perfect Knick. He would be fine to acquire and to flip.
We have infinity cap space the next few years. Grimes gets more expensive once we are trying to be competitive. I just don't see that as a huge benefit to us... it is a benefit and he would be under team control longer. I like both guys. I think Barrett has good potential to improve and seems like a hard worker.