What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Tampering has hurt the eagerness for this trade. New York could be punished and lose a pick. So I don't think they want to go pick heavy

I think a third or fourth team will eventually be needed. For Instance if Sexton and Cavs protected 1st rounder can be had with RJ that's worth one of the picks for the Jazz. Also, if can get the Lakers pick by then joining and not loose JC (send IQ or Grimes) that could be worth it.
Tampering has nothing to do with it imo. They get hit with a second rounder then big deal. If they trade all their own picks before the league can take one that might even help our case.

Tampering has nothing to do with it imo. They get hit with a second rounder then big deal. If they trade all their own picks before the league can take one that might even help our case.
You might be right since 2 teams lost 2nd round picks in the last draft for tampering, however I know there have been quite a bit of talk that the Knicks case was more extreme so they might lose a 1st rounder.

You might be right since 2 teams lost 2nd round picks in the last draft for tampering, however I know there have been quite a bit of talk that the Knicks case was more extreme so they might lose a 1st rounder.

Maybe they lose multiple seconds instead? Make the trade before they can take a 1st away from you.

The lack of certainty hurts everything. Sorry. I think a third team is needed to either turn the young Knick players into picks or to help the Jazz do something valuable like multiple things like offload Rudy Gay.

It would be awfully tough to come down on them too hard for Brunson talking with his dad... who is a legitimate NBA coach... I just have a hard time seeing more than a slap on a wrist without them giving a warning that penalties would be more stiff going forward.

Spence out here saying its embarrassing how the Jazz are overreacting to the Knicks package they offered. Saying its not that far off and keeps using the work embarrassing and its really weird.

"You aren't getting 6/7 picks for him sorry" Says it like we are crazy... but 5 picks is totally cool and totally reasonable.

Like the offer isnt insulting but its also not something they seriously thought we'd accept... so chill out a bit on the embarrassing talk k.

Spence out here saying its embarrassing how the Jazz are overreacting to the Knicks package they offered. Saying its not that far off and keeps using the work embarrassing and its really weird.

"You aren't getting 6/7 picks for him sorry" Says it like we are crazy... but 5 picks is totally cool and totally reasonable.

Like the offer isnt insulting but its also not something they seriously thought we'd accept... so chill out a bit on the embarrassing talk k.

What the hell was that? Definitely very weird.

What the hell was that? Definitely very weird.
If you gonna be embarrassed by fake trades and trade rumors on the internet then you in the wrong biz Spence.

The trade offer isn't far off, but then he goes on to say make one pick unprotected add in Grimes and some swaps and you are right there... That's like 33% more stuff.

He also said the market for KD was the Memphis offer of 5 firsts (4 protected). Sir that was not even the best rumored offer.. the Jaylen Brown offer was better. Neither deal got it done so how is that KD's market?

He's either trying to do the anti-homer or his NY connections are showing.

Spence sucks based on the couple times I’ve listened to him.

A couple of us on here could put together the best Jazz podcast on the internet by far. We discuss so many things in detail and in depth on here normally weeks before they’re brought up by local media guys or media in general.

Last edited:
A few questions for anyone who wants to take a shot:

• Just as players going forward (not taking in salaries at this point), how do you rank Barrett, Sexton, Herro?
  • What do you think a doable sign-and-trade involving Mitchell Sexton would end up paying Sexton? (remember Rich Paul is his agent)
  • I remember there were weird rules regarding how much money counts going in and out with regard to the speculations about a Ayton sign-and-trade. Do these apply to Sexton? If so, how would they affect the possibility of a trade involving DM?

The sentiment that the Knicks gain leverage by going into the season is kinda wild. Why? The trade will hang over half the team's roster... it won't be plug and play... they want to win... we want to lose (something we can do with or without Donovan)... other than a player blowing up and being awesome I'm not sure how their leverage increases.

NYK's leverage is that Donovan would crumble under the microscope and toxicity playing for a team that he won't sign another contract for. Well for 99.9% of the players in NBA that may be true but Donovan is built differently. I think he would be able to be friendly and to play and not cause explosions with the team chemistry. He really works on the image thing and he is kind of the best in the NBA at it. New York will find out that Donovan can work through a lot of garbage and still play.

I’ve gone back and forth over this, but I think if the Jazz believe Barrett could evolve into a third option on a championship caliber team, I’d have no problem trading Mitchell for him and 3 unprotected 1st round picks.
Agreed but I think that is a pretty big IF. If they do think that, they should absolutely pull the trigger on that deal. Barrett looks really good in some ways and not so good in other ways.

I’ve gone back and forth over this, but I think if the Jazz believe Barrett could evolve into a third option on a championship caliber team, I’d have no problem trading Mitchell for him and 3 unprotected 1st round picks.
I'd also consider 2 unprotected 2 protected and a swap if RJ was in the deal.

A few questions for anyone who wants to take a shot:

• Just as players going forward (not taking in salaries at this point), how do you rank Barrett, Sexton, Herro?
  • What do you think a doable sign-and-trade involving Mitchell Sexton would end up paying Sexton? (remember Rich Paul is his agent)
  • I remember there were weird rules regarding how much money counts going in and out with regard to the speculations about a Ayton sign-and-trade. Do these apply to Sexton? If so, how would they affect the possibility of a trade involving DM?
RJ, Herro, Sexton is the order for me.

Sexton at 4/80M ish is where I'd put the price tag.

The sign and trade rules aren't as impossible as some make them seem. They would apply here, but it is basically that the salary counts as 100% for the outgoing team and 50% for the incoming team (might have it backwards). Basically JC, a first, and some salary filler could work.

The lack of certainty hurts everything. Sorry. I think a third team is needed to either turn the young Knick players into picks or to help the Jazz do something valuable like multiple things like offload Rudy Gay.
at this rebuilding stage you don't offload players for the sake for it. if anything, you'd actually take on as many garbage deals as possible to stash draft capitals

RJ, Herro, Sexton is the order for me.

Sexton at 4/80M ish is where I'd put the price tag.

The sign and trade rules aren't as impossible as some make them seem. They would apply here, but it is basically that the salary counts as 100% for the outgoing team and 50% for the incoming team (might have it backwards). Basically JC, a first, and some salary filler could work.

It’s the opposite it is 50% outgoing and 100% incoming.

A sign-and-trade is a little difficult with them if they want to stay under the luxury tax. They are a little shy of 13M under.

With that being said Clarkson + Bolmaro + 1st for Sexton (making 19.8M salary first year) + Windler works under the rules and keeps them under the luxury tax. Then again can they add a player with the sign-and-trade player going out?