What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

FrenchJazzFa

2022 Award Winner
The issue is that the roster around him is very poorly constructed right now.
I agree and disagree... less than 2 years ago, we were the best offensive team in the league and it all disapear in 6 months. For me 2 options : it disapear because some players start to decline ( Bogey, Mike, JC...) and yes in that case no chance it works. The other option ( the one i believe) is that the slump from last 6 months is due to many internal reasons that conduct all players to play without heart and enough commitment, a coach unable to change anything , Joe departure hurting as well. And in this case, a new coach will set up a new way of play, bring new energy and it may work.
I still think we should make one more try . The worst thing for me is to let Don go and realize in 2 or 3 years that it may have work ( if Don succeed at Knicks as Knicks roster is not better than ours).

YoungJefe

I agree and disagree... less than 2 years ago, we were the best offensive team in the league and it all disapear in 6 months. For me 2 options : it disapear because some players start to decline ( Bogey, Mike, JC...) and yes in that case no chance it works. The other option ( the one i believe) is that the slump from last 6 months is due to many internal reasons that conduct all players to play without heart and enough commitment, a coach unable to change anything , Joe departure hurting as well. And in this case, a new coach will set up a new way of play, bring new energy and it may work.
I still think we should make one more try . The worst thing for me is to let Don go and realize in 2 or 3 years that it may have work ( if Don succeed at Knicks as Knicks roster is not better than ours).
We currently have 5 rotational guards with Donovan, Conley, Clarkson, Beverly, and Beasley that probably shouldn't play a ton of minutes together because of size limitations. Not to mention NAW/Butler in the backcourt as well. On the wing we have Gay, Bojan, Bolmaro, and Simone which is a pretty uninspiring group outside of Bojan tbh. And downlow we have Kessler, Udoka, and Vanderbilt so a rookie, an undersized center, and a bust coming off of a serious ankle injury.

We were the best offensive team in the NBA last season. If you're going to try to make it work with Donovan you still have to make significant roster moves because our team as it's currently constructed just has major issues across the board.

framer

Don't know enough about the Heat's thinking, but how about something like Randle for Duncan Robinson + filler/draft considerations? Both teams get rid of salaries they may not want for possibly better fits moving forward.

Heat forums seem to be almost ready to move on from pursuing Riley's mythical "whale" to just rounding out their roster with a legit PF.

Then Robinson could take something of the Fournier role for the Knicks if Fournier's moving to Utah.

Or maybe the financials override the fits on the court and neither team would benefit enough to consider this deal?
If the Heat traded for Randall, I would rather take the Heat deal for Donovan than the Knicks deal. Getting stuck with Randall's contract is the key to making those draft pieces worth it.

YoungJefe

If the Heat traded for Randall, I would rather take the Heat deal for Donovan than the Knicks deal. Getting stuck with Randall's contract is the key to making those draft pieces worth it.
It'd be pretty difficult for the Heat to trade for both Randle and Don. And I think the only way the Knicks realistically move Randle is if they land Don and want more roster flexibility.

YoungJefe

I'm guessing a deal happens in season and will probably be something like...
Knicks receive: Donovan, Gay
Jazz receive: Robinson, Toppin, Grimes, Rose, 2023 1st (via DAL), 2025 1st (via MIL), 2024/2026 unprotected 1st (via NYK)