What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
But is their floor really a play-in team?

I know the West is deeper, but if it was currently the Jazz trying to make a playoff run with a core of Donovan/Brunson/Barrett, I would be nervous as hell about even making it to the play-in.

And if that really is NY’s floor after adding Mitchell, then they’ll need to worry about keeping all 3 healthy and in the lineup for 70+ games if they plan on avoiding the lottery (IMO). A deal with the Jazz is gonna put a serious dent in NY’s depth, and while I think Donovan will prove to be an apt recruiter for the Knicks going forward, they’re not gonna be able to fill those holes between whenever a deal gets done and the start of the season.

If Donovan to NY ever actually happens, I think getting NY’s ‘23 pick unprotected could prove to be the most valuable of the bunch.
I should have said with relatively decent health their floor is play in... and it could be last team out of the play in... but I think they are better than the Magic, Pacers, Pistons, Hornets (no Bridges... Hayward can't be real happy there... Borrego is actually a good coach). So the Wiz or Knicks hit the play in... or if some team has an inordinate amount of injuries they drop.

i agree.... been saying get the 2023 pick... at very least get a swap with the Minny or Philly picks for it.

Coach Ellis

I don't think that's how swaps work, but I could be wrong. Maybe you can write a trade like that.
I think you have to own the picks that you’re including in the swap. I don’t believe you can make the trade so ambiguous that you can include picks that either team doesn’t already own. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a swap with picks not yet already owned by either team.

If that’s the case, then timing becomes very important. If you want to include a Knicks or Lakers future pick, I think the Jazz have to already own then in order to do that.

But, once they make some of the trades that they’re expected to here before training camp, they could definitely leverage some of those additional assets into pick swaps elsewhere instead of getting more 1sts.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I think you have to own the picks that you’re including in the swap. I don’t believe you can make the trade so ambiguous that you can include picks that either team doesn’t already own. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a swap with picks not yet already owned by either team.

If that’s the case, then timing becomes very important. If you want to include a Knicks or Lakers future pick, I think the Jazz have to already own then in order to do that.

But, once they make some of the trades that they’re expected to here before training camp, they could definitely leverage some of those additional assets into pick swaps elsewhere instead of getting more 1sts.
You can definitely do it with picks you own. I don't know on the unknown... we haven't seen it before but that doesn't mean it isn't legal. I would think as long as the Stepien rule is satisfied that you can do it but not sure if it is specifically outlawed.

Coach Ellis

You can definitely do it with picks you own. I don't know on the unknown... we haven't seen it before but that doesn't mean it isn't legal. I would think as long as the Stepien rule is satisfied that you can do it but not sure if it is specifically outlawed.
That was the part I was commenting on.

Ideally, the Jazz will have their own pick, plus the T-Wolves, Knicks, 76ers and Mavericks picks in 23’,

their own pick, plus the T-Wolves, Knicks and (maybe) Bucks picks in 25,

their own pick plus the T-Wolves, Knicks and Lakers picks in 27

and their own pick, plus the T-Wolves, and Knicks picks in 29.

Assuming you have to send out 2 or 3 of Bogdanovic, Conley, Clarkson, Beasley, Beverley to get the Lakers pick in a Westbrook buyout, that leaves you the other guys plus maybe Vando and potential salary dumps to add some other swaps.

Especially if you can include multiple picks in a “super swap” type scenario (like the Pelicans in 27’) you could potentially upgrade those picks significantly, while also allowing yourself the freedoms to rebuild as quickly as possible. You’d be banking on at least one of the swap teams to do worse than you or one of the teams that you own picks for. That seems like a pretty good bet to take.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
When your team was 100% guaranteed to get LeBron, Durant, Zion, Lillard, and others, you learn not to run out and buy a Knicks jersey of that guy.
Come on, man. If you almost get LeBron, Durant, Zion, and Lillard, then that's the next best thing to getting them, and if you got all those guys, you'd definitely have won the championship, so hang another banner in the rafters because teams like us never almost had those guys, so definitely the champs.

Udidthizz

That Nets pick could turn out to be something too. Sure, they could win it all next year. But they’re a Durant trade or injury (again) and Kyrie going walkabout (again) away from being led into the lottery by Ben Simmons (if he plays at all).