What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

We will have a **** ton of picks. Our own plus Minnesota’s plus another teams when we trade Donovan. What are you talking about?
The **** ton of picks would come from the heat in the late 20’s. I expect the wolves picks to be at best mostly in the low to mid 20’s. So that’s basically one decent shot at a star. We need multiple shots at a star, those are the unprotected Knicks picks the jazz covet

Coach Ellis

The **** ton of picks would come from the heat in the late 20’s. I expect the wolves picks to be at best mostly in the low to mid 20’s. So that’s basically one decent shot at a star. We need multiple shots at a star, those are the unprotected Knicks picks the jazz covet
Agreed. I also think the Jazz can start selling off cap space for additional picks and/or swaps to potentially upgrade their chances in those years as well.

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor

Agreed. I also think the Jazz can start selling off cap space for additional picks and/or swaps to potentially upgrade their chances in those years as well.

Again, everyone knows the Knicks can offer the best package. Doesn’t look like they are so far. I’d take the Heat’s A package over the Knicks B package.

Engorged On Unborn Gore

Meh. I would wait. The Heat's offer isn't going anywhere.

The Knicks don't have the minerals to stand up to their own media/fans. They don't have the organizational strength at the top to hold out. They are going to bennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd to Ainge. They are going to lose this trade, and all Danny has to do is wait them out and not lose his nerve.

Nate505

Modstapo Lite
Staff member
Eventually these picks need to turn into something and 22 year old players who average 20 PPG do not grow on trees. We can accumulate all the picks we want but we eventually need actual players.
I'm not sure. I think the eventual plan is just to have 100 draft picks and a G-League roster. Makes for an exciting 82 game season.

stitches

The idea that the Jazz wouldnt want Barrett or Herro because of paying them doesnt really float to me. Who else they going to pay? Not like a 2nd year max is going to kill your books with how much the cap is going to up in 2025.
Yes, this is one of the narratives that make no sense. If anything paying 1 or 2 young and really promising but still not having exploded stars is a good risk to take. While rebuilding, you will always have enough capspace simply because you won't be competing, you won't be signing expensive FAs in a push to eek out a few more wins. To me our willingness to get Barrett or Herro should be predominantly tied to our evaluation of them as players and not on the money we will have to give them. If we think they deserve the money and have the chance to be this good to justify that type of money - then do it! Buy low'ish on those types of players and see if you can strike gold with them. Worst case scenarios - they don't pan out and you more easily get to the salary floor over the length of the rebuild. And if the worry is that they will leave - you have tons of time until then... get them in the building, get a feel about them and about how much they like your franchise and city and if you get similar vibes to Mitchell over the last 2 years - sell them off for profit in a year or two time and add more picks.