What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
NOTHING of what Tony Jones has been reporting this off-season makes any sense. But it does sound like something the Jazz would want out there so they would get the best market for their players.
I wonder if he is in on it or if he feels like he gets used a bit. I think it would be ridiculous to keep Don and the vets at this point.

KqWIN

IDK... I think its in a pretty good spot. The other stuff is getting more shine but I don't think the games are an afterthought. I think the games are the biggest part of it... that is where the revenue is coming from (tv rights).

Ringz culture is a bit tiresome for sure... but that has always been a thing. I think more teams are trying to be competitive and that the league is actually pretty wide open. I think a lot of teams are pushing in because they think if things break the right way they could win a title.

I think our team would have stayed the course and figured it out if Don and Rudy had a great relationship and they felt like they had some additional runway. Part of it might be because of ringzzzz culture but I think the team had gone stale, had some toxic vibes, and had no great means of changing things around Rudy and Don.

IDK just some thoughts.

I think the NBA is fine financially. I've always said that the TV viewership doesn't matter as much as people make it out to be when it comes to the league's overall health. The NBA will learn how to better monetize the internet traffic that they dominate, and entering the streaming wars will be a win for them no matter what. But what the TV viewership does tell you is how much people enjoy the games, and I to me the day to day product of the NBA has really fallen off a cliff. The problem with championship or bust is exactly what it says. If it's not the championship, it doesn't matter. The 82 game regular season hardly matters at all when it comes to the championship conversation, and it's an open thing now. Franchises don't seem to care, the players don't care, and I don't think hardcore fans care much either. It's all about the end goal, the championship. The regular season games don't have much consequence to the championship conversation. In fact, it's become the accepted opinion that emphasizing the regular season comes at a detriment to title hopes. Regular season play has continued to diverge from playoff basketball and it won't stop.

It's all relative of course. People do care about a random regular season game and everyone wants to win, but compared to other sports, the importance of each game is so diminished and it doesn't necessarily make the actual championship more exciting. The large discrepancy between the RS and Playoffs makes for a more boring conclusion IMO.

BENTLEY

If the Jazz don't get any potential talented players, next season is going to be awful. It will be the first season where I won't bother watching games for the most part.

Last season was the season that about finished me off - which is why I’m pro blow-it-up (as DA appears to be doing). I’m much more likely to watch scrappy players almost win games, instead of aging vets almost win games.

NUMBERICA

PS -- I think the only way the Hornets would be motivated to trade for Westbrook and give some valuable things back in return (in addition to Hayward) is if they have a super-large-salary free agent in mind that they think they have a good chance at.
Hayward might make us too good if we get Sexton, Grimes, and Toppin. I’m not kidding. And I’m not sure how much they would really send, though I would sure like our 2023 second back.

Maybe you just practice extreme load management with him, but Hayward is really good when he’s healthy.

Nate505

Modstapo Lite
Staff member
Last season was the season that about finished me off - which is why I’m pro blow-it-up (as DA appears to be doing). I’m much more likely to watch scrappy players almost win games, instead of aging vets almost win games.
Depends on the scrappy players. If it's players with some upside sure. If it's a bunch of glorified g-league talent, I'm not watching.

The Jazz Wonderbra

From my understanding, releasing a player from a contract is a negotiation between two willing parties.

Both have to have a value add.

Westbrook may say, I dont care where I play or if I play. Just pay me every penny.

But if he wants to play outside of Utah, compete for a title, or something else then he can opt to negotiate down his contract for less if we are willing.

Pros for Utah... total payment goes down and more flexibility this season.

Pros for Westbrook... he can resign elsewhere to recoup some of what he gave up. He plays with a contender.

Being a mutual contract, I always pictured the negotiation to be very open to distinct options. I dont think there are tight rules about it so long as both parties agree. The league may have some rules that restrict teams / players.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I think the NBA is fine financially. I've always said that the TV viewership doesn't matter as much as people make it out to be when it comes to the league's overall health. The NBA will learn how to better monetize the internet traffic that they dominate, and entering the streaming wars will be a win for them no matter what. But what the TV viewership does tell you is how much people enjoy the games, and I to me the day to day product of the NBA has really fallen off a cliff. The problem with championship or bust is exactly what it says. If it's not the championship, it doesn't matter. The 82 game regular season hardly matters at all when it comes to the championship conversation, and it's an open thing now. Franchises don't seem to care, the players don't care, and I don't think hardcore fans care much either. It's all about the end goal, the championship. The regular season games don't have much consequence to the championship conversation. In fact, it's become the accepted opinion that emphasizing the regular season comes at a detriment to title hopes. Regular season play has continued to diverge from playoff basketball and it won't stop.

It's all relative of course. People do care about a random regular season game and everyone wants to win, but compared to other sports, the importance of each game is so diminished and it doesn't necessarily make the actual championship more exciting. The large discrepancy between the RS and Playoffs makes for a more boring conclusion IMO.
Outside of football I don’t think there is a sport that has a super meaningful regular season. Unless they reduce games not sure how you change things much. I don’t think the offseason or transaction stuff has hurt the game’s popularity… I think for some it’s annoying with all the trade chatter and draft projections etc. I just think it’s an off shoot and the games are as important as they have ever been. Some load management aside… even that has a great place because if teams are healthy when it matters most it makes the final stage of the product better.

I also think there are a ton of teams that don’t subscribe to championship or bust and they are some of the more boring franchises in the league. Like who’s excited for the Blazers and Wiz this year??? My personal belief is you build towards a title but if it doesn’t look promising you don’t have to scrap it… if you only get a second round team or conference finals team that’s fine… but if it peaks and starts to decline and you don’t have ways to improve it… then scrap it and rebuild… again hoping to have a title team. If you aren’t making progress there will be dissatisfaction among players, fans, etc.