What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

NUMBERICA

82 games is an abstraction that does not allow for a very many meaningful games. Not for the players, nor the fans.

Players play, but fewer games over the same period of time would make it far more interesting for them. It would also reduce the number of injuries.

At 30 teams, two games with each team still provides for plenty of income potential at 60 games. It also raises the stakes for every game.
It also decreases revenue by 20%-25%. It also makes career records from previous eras impossible to break.

If they can just shave off like 4 or 5 games to eliminate back to backs then that is probably a better equilibrium.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
82 games is fine. It’s the “lol there are 82 games, they’ll be fine” when you’re seeing repetition of fatal problems and mentalities over those 82 games that’s the problem.

View attachment 12855

View attachment 12856
I’m old enough to remember when all the talk was the experimenting we’d do during the regular season in preparation for the playoffs. We got a lab filled with unused Bunsen Burners if anyone is interested.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
It also decreases revenue by 20%-25%. It also makes career records from previous eras impossible to break.

If they can just shave off like 4 or 5 games to eliminate back to backs then that is probably a better equilibrium.
I’d say with the play in about 90-95% of the games have some postseason relevance. There will always be like 5 super ****** teams… some on purpose some on accident and some because of injury.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I’m old enough to remember when all the talk was the experimenting we’d do during the regular season in preparation for the playoffs. We got a lab filled with unused Bunsen Burners if anyone is interested.
It was actually a big miscommunication that was completely avoidable. The last thing DL did was order Bunsen burners that would have us ready for April, but he was in a hurry to get out of the office and the guy on the other end of the line heard “a Brunson burner” to be delivered in April. DL didn’t hang around to get a double check on the order.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I really think we should engage Charlotte on a Don trade. They would need to unprotect a pick or substantially reduce protections on a pick they owe to San Antonio… it doesn’t seem like a big issue as it would benefit SA. Then they could offer 25/27/29 unprotected and picks swaps in 24/26… maybe 28? They own a pick from Denver… it’s lotto protected. Bouknight and Rozier (he’s good and has 4/100M but you could easily move him at the deadline or to a third team… or just keep him).

I’d really try to get Washington in the deal but they may feel with the Bridges situation that they really need to keep him. Those picks and swaps are about as good a bet as you could make… if they had to sub in Mcdaniels and Thor for Washington I’d get it I guess. You could flip Washington for a pick or two or keep him… it would just be sad that we finally get the ranger frontcourt piece we want once Rudy was gone. I think Rozier would net you a pick sometime in the next 12 months if you wanted… if not we would still have a bunch of functional cap space to take on a bad deal or sign someone. Roziers deal is long enough that the rising cap will have it go from fair to pretty great.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I really think we should engage Charlotte on a Don trade. They would need to unprotect a pick or substantially reduce protections on a pick they owe to San Antonio… it doesn’t seem like a big issue as it would benefit SA. Then they could offer 25/27/29 unprotected and picks swaps in 24/26… maybe 28? They own a pick from Denver… it’s lotto protected. Bouknight and Rozier (he’s good and has 4/100M but you could easily move him at the deadline or to a third team… or just keep him).

I’d really try to get Washington in the deal but they may feel with the Bridges situation that they really need to keep him. Those picks and swaps are about as good a bet as you could make… if they had to sub in Mcdaniels and Thor for Washington I’d get it I guess. You could flip Washington for a pick or two or keep him… it would just be sad that we finally get the ranger frontcourt piece we want once Rudy was gone. I think Rozier would net you a pick sometime in the next 12 months if you wanted… if not we would still have a bunch of functional cap space to take on a bad deal or sign someone. Roziers deal is long enough that the rising cap will have it go from fair to pretty great.
If you can get those Charlotte picks I think those are way more valuable than the Knicks picks. Donovan likely bails out of there and I think Ball is already calling the shots there with the organization… so they are bending to make sure he’s happy. He’d obviously have eyes on a bigger market at some point.

Let me be clear… Charlotte should not do the deal… but they might do something desperate.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
If you can get those Charlotte picks I think those are way more valuable than the Knicks picks. Donovan likely bails out of there and I think Ball is already calling the shots there with the organization… so they are bending to make sure he’s happy. He’d obviously have eyes on a bigger market at some point.

Let me be clear… Charlotte should not do the deal… but they might do something desperate.
Don for Hayward and picks, then use Hayward in the Westbrook deal as a legit player they can use, and you can preserve one or two of our other guys for other deals.

YoungJefe

Well, what exactly did Ainge ask for?
The original framework for a deal that he asked for was RJ, Robinson, and 3 picks. Robinson signed his extension which made him ineligible to be traded until December and the Knicks said that they didn't want to include Barrett.

Apparently the Knicks also don't want to include Grimes.

YoungJefe

Orlando could give us a nice return as well depending on which young players they'd be willing to include out of Wagner, Carter, Suggs, Isaac, etc.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Orlando could give us a nice return as well depending on which young players they'd be willing to include out of Wagner, Carter, Suggs, Isaac, etc.
I kinda see them as one year away from making a win now move. They have extra picks as well. I like Wagner but Ball is a better player so Charlotte would at least have a star pairing. Charlotte also is more desperate imo… the unprotected picks are the big pull I want.

YoungJefe

I kinda see them as one year away from making a win now move. They have extra picks as well. I like Wagner but Ball is a better player so Charlotte would at least have a star pairing. Charlotte also is more desperate imo… the unprotected picks are the big pull I want.
The Magic would be making the trade to build around Don/Banchero. If they were able to keep Wagner as well a trio of Donovan/Wagner/Banchero would be a very, very solid foundation of a high level scoring guard, do it all wing, and a young big with superstar potential.