What's new

Jazz Big Men, Too Many?

How many big men do you think an ideal NBA roster should have?

• Total voters
I agree that that can be helpful...but then if you use the last season averages to predict this season's minutes, like ECTYA did, you're comparing apples to oranges. You've got to be consistent.

I was aware of that actually, when I was posting it. But since my main point in that post was to show the difficulty of having 6 big men who all can play and contribute to a degree, I just chose to ignore it.

Just read a slightly outdated article from slcdunk.

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-free-ag...anter-trevor-booker-utah-jazz-paint-is-packed (Ignore Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy in the article, they are not with the Jazz anymore)

The writer thinks an ideal NBA roster should have a front court with 5 big men and 6 is just too many. Now we have already six big men and looking for another one in Motum, what do you think we should do with our front court and how do we should manage our big guys?

WzjKZLv.png

And don't forget to vote, how many big men do you think an ideal NBA roster should have?

Edit: Consider the poll question for the active NBA roster of 13 players.

SLCDunk sucks golfballs. I cannot believe anyone reads this trash sight or the bleacher report.

Favors, Kanter and Gobert: those are the only three bigs who matter.

Novak is a role player. He's not a long-term answer and probably will get some interest at the deadline. Jazz should look to trade him for the best deal they can get (perhaps a late 1st from a contender?).

Evans: Sign him as a deep backup if the budget allows. However, he's becoming pricey ($1.8M in '14/'15). He doesn't really offer any special skillset (other than dunking). He's not a 3-pt threat, nor a defensive stopper. Jeremy is a great person with a fantastic attitude and work ethic. He's been great for Jr. Jazz. But as the Jazz start to pay their core 8-9 rotation players, they may have to start cutting expenses further on down to stay under the tax limit. Draft picks can be used to replace Evans at a much cheaper price.

Booker: low-level starter or capable backup. Nice to have in case of injury, but not essential. PF's with his size and skill level can be had every offseason. Perhaps tradeable at the deadline for a late 1st. Jazz can restock PF in the draft or with another FA.

In sum, only Gobert, Kanter and Favors have the potential to be top-10 or 15 at their positions. Give these three sufficient minutes (about 30 each for Kanter and Favors and 20-25 for Rudy). The rest play as needed.

Ideally, you should have at least 3 people that can play each position. Some can play multiple positions though.

So we have signed another PF already, Jack Cooley. No details are given about his contract so it's uncertain why the Jazz signed him. Could he make the roster, yeah, I think so. He could definitely compete with Jeremy Evans.