What's new

Jazz cancelled my family's season tickets after 36 years.

sirkickyass

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
Long time forum posters may remember that my grandfather had season tickets in the lower bowl dating back to the Salt Palace. Over the years Grandpa's health declined as he suffered from Parkinson's disease and he eventually was unable to go the games any longer. During this time my family continued to pay for the tickets and my uncles attended the vast majority of the games while occasionally giving some tickets away as business promotions. The seats were very good and my family frequently sat in close proximity with the player's wives. My grandpa, in particular, had many conversations with Yeliz Okur. Last weekend Grandpa died, and our relationship with the Jazz changed immediately.

The team has informed us that, by team rule, Grandpa's season ticket rights have been terminated and my uncles will no longer be allowed to purchase the seats they have sat in since the Delta Center opened. They instead offered to have us, at the same cost, move back many rows as if we were new season ticket holders and that we could instead work our way up to better seats just like everybody else who's a new season ticket holder. As you might imagine, we declined the extreme downgrade.

In sum, **** the Jazz. This is a stupid rule. There's virtually no reason to reset an account that's 36 years old. I assume that my family had to have been one of the longest standing season ticket holders on the team's books. Certainly the team's timing was awful as they cancelled the account before the man was even in the ground. If Larry was still around I don't think it would have gone down this way.

wow man that's cold. i'm really sorry. hopefully word gets around and they at least take some flak for it.

Yeah, we knew about that rule so we bought ours through a business to avoid the stupid rule.

That sucks man.

So was it not possible for your grandpa to add someone else to the account?

Seems pretty crazy that they would do people like that.

First off i'm really sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Thats bizarre about the tickets, I think your family is just dealing with the wrong people at the Jazz. I remember your grandpa, I sat one section over and one row behind where their tickets were/are. I think your family just needs to talk with someone different thats in charge of tickets. I took over tickets that my family used to have a few years ago and still kept the benefits of having them for 15+ years even though i've technically only had them for 3.

Sorry about your Grandpa - and the shabby treatment over the tickets.

I remember a cute story posted some years ago when you brought your Grandpa to a Night Out event to "chaperone" your "date" with Ize of Light (I think that was her "name"). That is an iconic Jazzfanz memory for me.

Hope you can get the ticket issue resolved to your benefit. Good luck.

My first negative reputation on this forum when I joined 4 years ago was after I said LHM was a complete ******* of a person who will burn in hell. I don't know why anyone would be surprised this is how a used car salesfamily treats their "customers".

Sorry to hear that, SirKick ... no way to appeal to higher authority on this? Perhaps you or he should've done something about switching the account before he passed. Still, this is a horrible way to treat a loyal, not just fan, family of fans. Write an Op-Ed to DesNews or SLT, or maybe Gordy would write a column about this?

Sucks about gramps. Death is lame.

As for the tickets, maybe next time hire a lawyer to interpret the fine print for you

My condolences sirkickyass. Death has us all in it's sights and as LazyD pointed out, that's lame. My own theory is not to attend my own funeral, ergo, it won't be official. Not making light of your grandfather's passing my friend just my way of dealing with the situation.

Sad to hear about your grandpa. Hope he lived a good life.

So was it not possible for your grandpa to add someone else to the account?

Seems pretty crazy that they would do people like that.

The team knew that my uncles were paying for the tickets the last few years, they never indicated there would be a problem until my grandfather died.

First off i'm really sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Thats bizarre about the tickets, I think your family is just dealing with the wrong people at the Jazz. I remember your grandpa, I sat one section over and one row behind where their tickets were/are. I think your family just needs to talk with someone different thats in charge of tickets. I took over tickets that my family used to have a few years ago and still kept the benefits of having them for 15+ years even though i've technically only had them for 3.

I appreciate it LJ. I remember that you had identified him several years ago.

Get Gephardt.

Who's this? Keep in mind that I don't live in SLC.

Sorry about your Grandpa - and the shabby treatment over the tickets.

I remember a cute story posted some years ago when you brought your Grandpa to a Night Out event to "chaperone" your "date" with Ize of Light (I think that was her "name"). That is an iconic Jazzfanz memory for me.

Hope you can get the ticket issue resolved to your benefit. Good luck.

Kicky and Ize forever!

Did you have some crazy low price grandfathered in (no pun intended) the whole time?

I've never had season tickets. How does it work? Are you guaranteed the same price each year?

Did they offer to let you keep them at a higher price?