What's new

Jazz cancelled my family's season tickets after 36 years.

Sir, do you have the name of the person who is dealing with all this at the Jazz? I have a good relationship with some people that are involved in ticketing, I went to school with them, so i'd be happy to reach out to them for you.

And don't even think about calling Gepheart. I wish another news group would expose that fraud. He likes to reach out to local business and request an outrageous amount to be "Gepheart approved" and when you say no implies he will be looking into your company anyway. Practically blackmail.

Maybe another Jazz season ticket holder can chime in here because my understanding is that there is a PSL (personal seat license) associated with purchasing season tickets - Jazz are one of a handful of NBA teams that do this. This essentially means you own the rights to your seat. Or maybe The Jazz handle PSL's differently from other franchises.

PSL's are a big deal here in NJ because the new Met Life Stadium charges exorbitant PSL fees to season ticket holders for Jets and Giants. But the flip side to it is you own your seat and can sell it to someone in the open market like any other private asset.

Yeah, the Jazz gave us the right starting in 2010, IIRC, to sell our seats. I would think this would be a right that passes to the owners heirs. We bought our tickets through a business over 20 years ago, and we were advised that by doing it through a family business, it could pass from generation to generation... I haven't read the fine print to see if the PSL rights pass to heirs though.

If his grandfather owns the PSL, then wouldn't his grandfather's estate own the seats and not the Jazz?

Wouldn't the PSL either then be willed to a family member, or sold on the open market and the sale price distributed via the will?

How do the Jazz have any say in the PSL?

And don't even think about calling Gepheart. I wish another news group would expose that fraud. He likes to reach out to local business and request an outrageous amount to be "Gepheart approved" and when you say no implies he will be looking into your company anyway. Practically blackmail.
Interesting and unfortunately not surprising. I know the owner of a prominent "Gephart approved" company (he was my neighbor prior to dumping his wife and running off with his hawt little secretary). I don't know of a single neighbor who has anything good to say about him (and their complaints are not related to his divorce) yet Gephart is obviously willing to sing his praises. It makes perfect sense that he's only doing it for the cash.

If his grandfather owns the PSL, then wouldn't his grandfather's estate own the seats and not the Jazz?

Wouldn't the PSL either then be willed to a family member, or sold on the open market and the sale price distributed via the will?

How do the Jazz have any say in the PSL?

It depends on the terms of the PSL. It could be drafted that the owner can sell during life, but the rights expire upon death.

Interesting and unfortunately not surprising. I know the owner of a prominent "Gephart approved" company (he was my neighbor prior to dumping his wife and running off with his hawt little secretary). I don't know of a single neighbor who has anything good to say about him (and their complaints are not related to his divorce) yet Gephart is obviously willing to sing his praises. It makes perfect sense that he's only doing it for the cash.

They don't do any background checks before they "approve" a company. They just do it once they get paid.

Sorry, wrong century. The Middle Ages are over and laying claim to something based on the position of one's ancestors does not work anymore. It is all personal achievement-based now. Capitalism.

We may not like it sometimes, but there is no aristocracy, no mutual multigenerational loyalty between the lord and his vassals. The Millers owe you nothing.

Sorry, wrong century. The Middle Ages are over and laying claim to something based on the position of one's ancestors does not work anymore. It is all personal achievement-based now. Capitalism.

We may not like it sometimes, but there is no aristocracy, no mutual multigenerational loyalty between the lord and his vassals. The Millers owe you nothing.

Has Greg Miller done anything other than being born to Larry and Gail to deserve his position at the helm of the organization? You'd think a nepotistic company would extend that same attitude to the family of one of their oldest clients.

Capitalism is not synonymous with free markets. Capitalism is a system of property. Free markets are a system of trade. Aristocracy is inherent in the system of capitalism. Merit is inherent to free markets.

Unfortunately free markets have been under attack and its virtues have been undeservingly co-opted by capitalism. The American aristocracy has fooled you into believing that their inherited wealth equals merit.

You are so far off on these comments it is ridiculous. Assets are inherited all the time. I think the Jazz are probably trying to pull a fast one in order to grab elite level tickets to woo some new sponsor or to reward someone in their "in" crowd. Their methods are wrong and they ought to rethink the way they are treating their most loyal customers. I hope some media outlet picks up this story and puts some pressure on them.

You are so far off on these comments it is ridiculous. Assets are inherited all the time. I think the Jazz are probably trying to pull a fast one in order to grab elite level tickets to woo some new sponsor or to reward someone in their "in" crowd.
Assets are inherited based on legaly binding documents: contracts, wills. That is how Greg inherited his dad's money and companies. Sirkick is hoping to retain his tickets based on some vague loyalty thing - there is no legal basis for it. Wait, you yourself referring to it in the same vein.
Their methods are wrong and they ought to rethink the way they are treating their most loyal customers. I hope some media outlet picks up this story and puts some pressure on them.
So, you think that the Jazz have some moral obligations based on the fact that Sirkick's father was loyal to the company. That is not how it works in this business. Or in any succesful business, to be precise.

P.S. Interestingly enough, there were hundreds of topics on this forum where the fans wanted the most loyal Jazz players traded (Millsap at the deadline, anyone? Memo?) for the sake of the organization. But when the same organization downgrades a loyal fan... THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! Ironic, huh?

Assets are inherited based on legaly binding documents: contracts, wills. That is how Greg inherited his dad's money and companies. Sirkick is hoping to retain his tickets based on some vague loyalty thing - there is no legal basis for it. Wait, you yourself referring to it in the same vein.
So, you think that the Jazz have some moral obligations based on the fact that Sirkick's father was loyal to the company. That is not how it works in this business. Or in any succesful business, to be precise.

P.S. Interestingly enough, there were hundreds of topics on this forum where the fans wanted the most loyal Jazz players traded (Millsap at the deadline, anyone? Memo?) for the sake of the organization. But when the same organization downgrades a loyal fan... THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! Ironic, huh?
No irony at all the way I see it. They should probably trade all the fans if they think it is a good business model. I'll be interested in seeing how that works out for them.

I'd be curious how this policy compares to how other NBA teams or sports franchises operate. As pathetic as it seems on the surface, perhaps it is simply how they roll.

On another note, my uncle who lives in the Seattle area had season tickets, tickets he was on a waiting list for several years to obtain, on the first row and they actually took his team away. Now that would suck.

I'm personally shocked anyone in the Seattle area thinks they have any chance of loving again. I'd feel so burned that I couldn't imagine trying to start over. I'd oddly feel the same way if the Jazz left Utah even though I don't live there and have few remaining connections to the area.

Sir, do you have the name of the person who is dealing with all this at the Jazz? I have a good relationship with some people that are involved in ticketing, I went to school with them, so i'd be happy to reach out to them for you.

LJ, you're a boss. I've asked my uncle if he can remember and i'll PM you if he gets me a response. To be honest, there are more pressing issues related to the estate right now (it's complex) so I think trying to mend fences with the Jazz is low priority for him right now. He was upset enough that I don't think he'd be inclined to pay full price at this point even if he was offered the exact same seats.

Although he did correct me on one point. The prices did go down briefly in the early-to-mid 80s when it was widely believed the team would be moving and were playing some home games in Las Vegas. They also went down (for one year) on a per-game basis following the 1999 lockout. I retract my "not even once" statement earlier regarding price decreases.

First of all, sorry for your loss. Death sucks.

Now what is important is the well being of those still living, and you won't be very "well" feeling entitled to basketball tickets that may not be legally yours. It seems the tickets were technically your grandfather's and not your family's, as the title of the thread says. If that is true you can't let yourself be angry over what big business is going to do with thier asset. He'll, PCMR just lost thier ski resort to Vail after sending in thier almost 50 year grandfathered lease in a couple of days late.

Lose the anger and hold on to the fond memories of the deceased.

Sports has a different consumer/business relationship than virtually any other entertainment business. The business literally depends on user investment. If you're not rooting for anybody you have no reason to watch. This is why municipalities feel pressure to use public funding to "keep" privately held sports teams. It is disingenuous at best and evil at worst to encourage concepts like "Jazz Nation" and run "support our team" campaigns while using the language of keeping the Jazz in Utah as a public service to the state and then simultaneously revert to the cruelest private property concepts when convenient. The Jazz, just like any other sports team, are not in the same relationship with their customers as Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

I really want to feel bad for you, but your family has had the privilege of experiencing something that most never will. These are white people problems.

White people problems are complaining that your bruschetta didn't come with enough bree or that kiwis aren't kept at your local Trader Joe's year round. Having a key family intersectionality tell you to **** off in the wake of a prominent death is a different ballgame.

Brings a tear to my eye.

I <3 your gramps

Another Gramps Jazz story: In the early 1990s my grandmother tried to get him to stop swearing. (Spoiler Alert: It didn't work). She essentially created a swear jar where Grandpa had to pay me a dollar every time he cursed. This meant that I listened extra closely. One summer David Benoit bought me a game boy.

Maybe another Jazz season ticket holder can chime in here because my understanding is that there is a PSL (personal seat license) associated with purchasing season tickets - Jazz are one of a handful of NBA teams that do this. This essentially means you own the rights to your seat. Or maybe The Jazz handle PSL's differently from other franchises.

PSL's are a big deal here in NJ because the new Met Life Stadium charges exorbitant PSL fees to season ticket holders for Jets and Giants. But the flip side to it is you own your seat and can sell it to someone in the open market like any other private asset.

I looked into this. Jazz PSL's aren't descendible and the transfer would have required my uncles to pay for the PSL using the Jazz-Approved trading service at a fair-market price and paying the Jazz-approved service a commission during my grandfather's lifetime. In sum: a PSL is another way for someone else to make money.

No irony at all the way I see it. They should probably trade all the fans if they think it is a good business model. I'll be interested in seeing how that works out for them.
Well, since you obviously think you are better qualified than the Jazz folks to run an NBA franchise I understand why you are not seeing any irony.

Another Gramps Jazz story: In the early 1990s my grandmother tried to get him to stop swearing. (Spoiler Alert: It didn't work). She essentially created a swear jar where Grandpa had to pay me a dollar every time he cursed. This meant that I listened extra closely. One summer David Benoit bought me a game boy.

That elicited a legit lol. Well done.

i told you guys greg "i wouldnt sell a car at wholesale price" to my own mother is a real piece of work

somewhere jesus is rolling over in his grave

I looked into this. Jazz PSL's aren't descendible and the transfer would have required my uncles to pay for the PSL using the Jazz-Approved trading service at a fair-market price and paying the Jazz-approved service a commission during my grandfather's lifetime. In sum: a PSL is another way for someone else to make money.

Ah, sounds like your Grandpa never had really a PSL or paid a fee - he just had the opportunity to sell the opportunity for someone to purchase his assigned seat. Therein lies the rub - in my experience PSL fees are pre-paid by the season ticket purchaser which more or less grants them ownership of the seat going forward until they decide not to purchase season tickets or they sell their PSL to someone else.

You mean the original contract signed in 1979? Probably going to be pretty hard to find out. As for the renewals there doesn't appear to be much of any contract. They basically just send a bill. It's probably a term of adhesion at some point. The Millers didn't even own the team when Grandpa first got season tickets. He literally has been with the Jazz longer than the Miller family and predated Stockton and Malone.

But glad to see that you think 36 years of business history means nothing and justifies pissing all over a grieving family within 48 hours of his death.

Dick.

No. And if that was the case I would understand the rule.

The Jazz have routinely raised the ticket prices for the season ticket package. After the Jazz made the Western Finals, the prices went up 18% in a single season which almost caused the family to cancel. We've paid the market price (with perhaps minor discounts never more than 5%) every season. The primary advantage was that Grandpa got to keep the same seats every season. Occasionally he would get to move up (again for a corresponding price increase) as season tickets became available in closer rows. To my knowledge the last time he moved closer was in 1998. He was in the closest possible row before the season tickets started running around $6k a year.

I could claim that but we'd all know that I'd be lying. Fandom isn't rational or reasonable.

This does make me fervently anti-Miller though. The calling right after he died to cancel the tickets was beyond cold.

I am sorry about your grandpa. I've been a Jazz fan just as long. Have you attempted to talk with someone higher up in management? Write a letter? Sometimes people say no the first time and if you keep at it then they make an exception which I think your family deserves since you have been a fan for 36 years. I believe it is a bad way to run your business regardless if the Jazz are not legally obligated to allow you to keep your grandfather's seats. Good luck.