What's new

Jazz cancelled my family's season tickets after 36 years.

Was there nothing about this in the original contract?

Seems like you don't have a lot to complain about if there was.

Was there nothing about this in the original contract?

Seems like you don't have a lot to complain about if there was.

You mean the original contract signed in 1979? Probably going to be pretty hard to find out. As for the renewals there doesn't appear to be much of any contract. They basically just send a bill. It's probably a term of adhesion at some point. The Millers didn't even own the team when Grandpa first got season tickets. He literally has been with the Jazz longer than the Miller family and predated Stockton and Malone.

But glad to see that you think 36 years of business history means nothing and justifies pissing all over a grieving family within 48 hours of his death.

Dick.

Did you have some crazy low price grandfathered in (no pun intended) the whole time?

I've never had season tickets. How does it work? Are you guaranteed the same price each year?

Did they offer to let you keep them at a higher price?

No. And if that was the case I would understand the rule.

The Jazz have routinely raised the ticket prices for the season ticket package. After the Jazz made the Western Finals, the prices went up 18% in a single season which almost caused the family to cancel. We've paid the market price (with perhaps minor discounts never more than 5%) every season. The primary advantage was that Grandpa got to keep the same seats every season. Occasionally he would get to move up (again for a corresponding price increase) as season tickets became available in closer rows. To my knowledge the last time he moved closer was in 1998. He was in the closest possible row before the season tickets started running around $6k a year.

So are you "Not going to be a Jazz fan anymore" level of butt-hurt?

I could claim that but we'd all know that I'd be lying. Fandom isn't rational or reasonable.

This does make me fervently anti-Miller though. The calling right after he died to cancel the tickets was beyond cold.

How did they find out and was it like they were anxious to cancel them? Like even had he lived would they have been happier to have him cancel than renew our something?

How did they find out and was it like they were anxious to cancel them? Like even had he lived would they have been happier to have him cancel than renew our something?

Not certain. They claimed they were just "checking up" but that feels strange given the timing.

The easiest answer is that his obituary ran the same day they called, but that feels creepy too.

Did they have a habit of checking up? Strange situation and no class from the Jazz

Tell the papers. Do whatever you can to pressure them. I'll do my miniscule part by writing the team if you wish.

You mean the original contract signed in 1979? Probably going to be pretty hard to find out. As for the renewals there doesn't appear to be much of any contract. They basically just send a bill. It's probably a term of adhesion at some point. The Millers didn't even own the team when Grandpa first got season tickets. He literally has been with the Jazz longer than the Miller family and predated Stockton and Malone.

But glad to see that you think 36 years of business history means nothing and justifies pissing all over a grieving family within 48 hours of his death.

Dick.

No. And if that was the case I would understand the rule.

The Jazz have routinely raised the ticket prices for the season ticket package. After the Jazz made the Western Finals, the prices went up 18% in a single season which almost caused the family to cancel. We've paid the market price (with perhaps minor discounts never more than 5%) every season. The primary advantage was that Grandpa got to keep the same seats every season. Occasionally he would get to move up (again for a corresponding price increase) as season tickets became available in closer rows. To my knowledge the last time he moved closer was in 1998. He was in the closest possible row before the season tickets started running around $6k a year.

I could claim that but we'd all know that I'd be lying. Fandom isn't rational or reasonable.

This does make me fervently anti-Miller though. The calling right after he died to cancel the tickets was beyond cold.

How did they know your grandpa died so fast? It was f'd up the way they did it, I agree.

Also, did the tickets ever get cheaper? Like the last few years when we have been awful.

Doesn't The Utah Jazz have PSL's? Before he passed, couldn't your granddad just "sell" the license to your uncles? Or I guess you didn't anticipate this type of scumbaggery from the organization.

Just wondering when payment is made? For our Bulls (partial) season tickets (11 game package, no longer offered except for renewals) we make a deposit on the next season BEFORE the end of the current season, and our tickets are paid in full in mid-August.

I'm usually a huge critic of social outrage, and since JAZZGAZM was aware the rule I imagine they are forthright with it, but is there anything we can do to make them reconsider?

Get in touch with the non-Miller owned newspaper (do they own a newspaper? they seem to control their news pretty well.) and find someone who wouldn't mind writing a shame article.

My condolences on the passing of your grandfather, and truly bad form on the Jazz to put salt in that wound. I agree you think they would build in some delay from learning about the death and notifying you about the change in tickets.

Did they have a habit of checking up? Strange situation and no class from the Jazz

Apparently they got one other call about 5 years ago. The timing feels too close for it to be a coincidence.

Tell the papers. Do whatever you can to pressure them. I'll do my miniscule part by writing the team if you wish.

I appreciate the offer. At this point I believe my uncles are peeved enough that they would balk at giving the team $10k for the tickets even if the team reconsidered.

How do you think these seats opened up?

I understand that you're implying that every seat in front of my grandpa was held in their respective family for decades until someone died. We both know that's not the case. There are many reasons people stop buying season tickets. Every team in the league (Except for Cleveland) has a shrinking season ticket base for a reason. 36-year subscriptions are easily within the 99th percentile.

How did they know your grandpa died so fast? It was f'd up the way they did it, I agree.

Also, did the tickets ever get cheaper? Like the last few years when we have been awful.

Did the tickets get cheaper? Lol. Not even once.

Doesn't The Utah Jazz have PSL's? Before he passed, couldn't your granddad just "sell" the license to your uncles? Or I guess you didn't anticipate this type of scumbaggery from the organization.

I do not know the answer to this question, although the team's reaction suggests that they do not. Also keep in mind that my grandfather may not have been super keen on the fine details the last 10 or so years as he was suffering from Parkinson's and was very slowly going (dude loved Alec Burks as recently as 6 months ago though, he'd sit about 5 inches from the TV screen and laugh every time he barreled his way to the hoop).

Just wondering when payment is made? For our Bulls (partial) season tickets (11 game package, no longer offered except for renewals) we make a deposit on the next season BEFORE the end of the current season, and our tickets are paid in full in mid-August.

The dates are slightly different but the payment schedule is largely the same. My understanding is that the bulk of it had been paid for and the Jazz refunded the amounts previously paid upon cancelling the ticket plan.

I'd be curious how this policy compares to how other NBA teams or sports franchises operate. As pathetic as it seems on the surface, perhaps it is simply how they roll.

On another note, my uncle who lives in the Seattle area had season tickets, tickets he was on a waiting list for several years to obtain, on the first row and they actually took his team away. Now that would suck.

Ring-Ring

SKA "Hello"
Jazz STH Agent "Hi, this is Tiffany, your Jazz season ticket holder personal agent. Just wanted to see how Grandpa was doing."
SKA "Unfortunately, he passed away very very recently. We're all coming together as a family and helping one another in this difficult time."
JSTHA "Oh. I'm very sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences."
SKA "Thank you."
JSTHA "It is my responsibility to inform you that because the official season ticket holder has passed we have cancelled that account."
SKA "That account is 39 years old!?!?"
JSTHA "Well, that is amazing. We truly appreciate the devotion your Grandpa had for the Utah Jazz."
SKA "It has been a family institution. Those weren't just his tickets, they were something he shared with all of us. Something that means a lot to each and every one of us. Those seats will be a way in which we remember and honor our beloved grandfather, brother, uncle, husband. They are part of our family. Uncle Joe has been the one sending in the checks the last several seasons. I don't understand?"
JSTHA "In appreciation of that we would be happy to offer your family a new account...of course the seats wouldn't be anywhere near where your Grandfather's seats were, I mean, it takes decades to work your way up to seats like that."
SKA "???"
JSTHA "Have a wonderful day!"

First of all, sorry for your loss. Death sucks.

Now what is important is the well being of those still living, and you won't be very "well" feeling entitled to basketball tickets that may not be legally yours. It seems the tickets were technically your grandfather's and not your family's, as the title of the thread says. If that is true you can't let yourself be angry over what big business is going to do with thier asset. He'll, PCMR just lost thier ski resort to Vail after sending in thier almost 50 year grandfathered lease in a couple of days late.

Lose the anger and hold on to the fond memories of the deceased.

Last edited:
I really want to feel bad for you, but your family has had the privilege of experiencing something that most never will. These are white people problems.

(dude loved Alec Burks as recently as 6 months ago though, he'd sit about 5 inches from the TV screen and laugh every time he barreled his way to the hoop).

Brings a tear to my eye.

I <3 your gramps

I do not know the answer to this question, although the team's reaction suggests that they do not. Also keep in mind that my grandfather may not have been super keen on the fine details the last 10 or so years as he was suffering from Parkinson's

Maybe another Jazz season ticket holder can chime in here because my understanding is that there is a PSL (personal seat license) associated with purchasing season tickets - Jazz are one of a handful of NBA teams that do this. This essentially means you own the rights to your seat. Or maybe The Jazz handle PSL's differently from other franchises.

PSL's are a big deal here in NJ because the new Met Life Stadium charges exorbitant PSL fees to season ticket holders for Jets and Giants. But the flip side to it is you own your seat and can sell it to someone in the open market like any other private asset.

I have tweeted like three times in my life. I just tweeted this to @greginutah. They need to give your family free season tickets for a year.