What's new

Jazz Decades NBA Fantasy Draft

Not sure why you would pick Duncan for the 90's, but you can go ahead and make your 00's pick

With the 1st pick of the 2011 2000's NBA draft, NUMBERICA selects...

LEBRON JAMES

2866975_f260.jpg

lebron-james-mvp-shirt-20090506000513.jpg

Right now, it's really easy to forget just how amazing Lebron James is.

Or at least, was.

This Lebron is the actual King James. The one that delivered us from the Kobe Bryants, Allen Iversons, and Vince Carters of the era. The one whose statistical contributions can only be matched by the GOAT. The one who took a bunch of garbage and turned it into a respectable team, even without any good coaching. The one who put that team on his back and beat clearly the best team of the east at the time and for that decade to get to an NBA finals. Anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgfSpdNi9aU

This was the guy that got bigger as the moments did. Two-time MVP, ROY, 6-time All-Star, 2-time All-Star MVP, 6-time All NBA (5 1st teams), and 2-time All Defensive 1st team selections. Also one of the most versatile players you could name and in the conversation for best SF of all-time (behind Larry Bird unless he can start winning rings). I will use him as such, might even have him as my starting PG.

Good thing for me, he blew it in '10 and on (so to speak).

Last edited:
Not sure why you would pick Duncan for the 90's, but you can go ahead and make your 00's pick

I won't reveal every level of why, but I think I spelled it out enough. Duncan came into the league as finished a product as anyone ever has.

I was thinking the same thing...although I can see it from Numberica's perspective as well...you could take 90's Alonzo Mourning and 2000's Tim Duncan, or take 90's Tim Duncan (still a 22-12-3 all-star PF playing next to Robinson) and take a wing (Kobe or LeBron) #1 overall next. 90's Duncan was still a champion who came through in the Finals, so I can see it both ways, but picking 7th or 8th requires a fair amount of strategy.

With the 2nd pick of the 2011 2000's NBA draft, Chad selects...

kobe-bryant.jpg

21,550 points during the 00s.
2x Scoring Champ 00s
8x All NBA 1st team during the 00s
7x All Defensive 1st team 00s
07-08 NBA MVP
2x Finals MVP
5 Rings

I was thinking the same thing...although I can see it from Numberica's perspective as well...you could take 90's Alonzo Mourning and 2000's Tim Duncan, or take 90's Tim Duncan (still a 22-12-3 all-star PF playing next to Robinson) and take a wing (Kobe or LeBron) #1 overall next. 90's Duncan was still a champion who came through in the Finals, so I can see it both ways, but picking 7th or 8th requires a fair amount of strategy.

But isn't the point (which is why I changed my pick) total stats in fantasy? Not just building a great team?

'Zo makes SOME sense, but Duncan is just better IMO. Duncan gets into the HOF as soon as he's eligible, I'm not sure that 'Zo ever does, even though he was awesome. Besides that, I can't pass up Lebron in the 2000's, so it's down to 'Zo and Duncan (an actual thought I'd had). So why not choose the player that just impacts the game more, wins more, and can play two positions equally well? If the worst-case scenario for me at C is Duncan, then I'm good. And if I can get him at the end of a round, that's great value as Bilas would say.

As far as the Barkley pick, great pick. It wouldn't make sense for me already having Malone.

But isn't the point (which is why I changed my pick) total stats in fantasy? Not just building a great team?
Hmm I don't know. I was approaching it by trying to build the best team because if it was just stats, we wouldn't have to vote, we could just add up the pts, rebs, ast, ect. Probably a little bit of both.

Hmm I don't know. I was approaching it by trying to build the best team because if it was just stats, we wouldn't have to vote, we could just add up the pts, rebs, ast, ect. Probably a little bit of both.

Going with what prodigy said, it is the stats. Right?

Going with what prodigy said, it is the stats. Right?

No the Voting will most likely be based on a couple factors - (team chemistry/overall make-up/build-up/talent level-championships)

It is about building the best team you possibly can, not just going by stats

No the Voting will most likely be based on a couple factors - (team chemistry/overall make-up/build-up/talent level-championships)

It is about building the best team you possibly can, not just going by stats

Well isn't a decade too large of time span then? I mean the difference between 02-03 Shaq and 07-08, for example is pretty drastic. So you take his entire career or just an average of that decade? If that is the case Duncan is the better pick than Barkley.

No matter the criteria, it always ends up being more of a 'wow' factor/popularity contest.

Well isn't a decade too large of time span then? I mean the difference between 02-03 Shaq and 07-08, for example is pretty drastic. So you take his entire career or just an average of that decade? If that is the case Duncan is the better pick than Barkley.

Besides, Shaq got picked in the 90's where there's no drop-off at all.

So I could pick Mutombo in the 2000s because he was good back in 1994? But since he hung on until 2008 he is eligible?

I'm pretty sure you just have to take into consideration the general body of work. The average(s). So, going back to the Shaq in the 2000's thing, he was dominant for the first few years but started tailing off pretty hard in 2007. So maybe his last years of the decade dip what you might consider his contribution, but you're still getting a great player. 90's Shaq is better though because there is no tail-off and it didn't take him any time to get going when he got to the league either.

But yes, since it's a popularity contest, there's something to be said for the namesake. Mutombo isn't exactly an all-time great though, even considering his 90's stint (his best). And he was awesome too. This isn't an exact science, obviously (and especially since this is vote-based), but just put together the best team you can given the general parameters.