What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

TLDR thread

Is it happening?

I picked a ****** time to get a new job and move to a new city.
My supposition is that these talks continued, as was expected, but because it’s being reported, it’s picked up more perceived steam when it may fundamentally be the same as it always has been.

Where are you moving?

the issue is never about whether or not we could, rather it is about whether or not we would. why else do you think we are in such bad place for trade talks right now? you kept saying we could still get the type of signings I mentioned, but how often has DL actually taken the step of making those signings?

we are so concerned with signing those "big name players" even though it is never supposed to be how us as a small market team should be looking at to build a contending team.

Has milwaukee signed any major "big-names" in order for them to become competitive? what they got are "supporting cast". strong role players around Giannis that made their system work.

we should do the same.

again, if Randle/Lopez/whoever, didn't work out, we can always trade them. and there is no trading Conley, or Neto/Niang/Thabo, etc.

No, it is defitely about if we could with FAs that upgrade our roster. We are not just ignoring players that improve us. Just because its not announced does not mean the FO is doing their due diligence. They are very active.

Yes, Bucks have picked up through FA or trades some really good players. They have big names a solid roster. They then filled in the starting center with a good player that wanted to start. It was a great fit for both parties, unlike the Jazz that was a bad fit for both parties and neither side would consider it.

Conley is tradeable. Hence the trade market for him. That market will exist next year as well and the year after. Maybe it goes slightly down. But we also become a much better team. Which is the whole goal.

The Jazz are not making a trade like the Raptors did. They traded their best player for Kawhi. We were not going to trade Gobert or Mitchell for Kawhi. That is what it took to get a player like that. Other than that we should get the best players we can at the position we need the most. I am not sure what magical trade you are wanting us to hold out for that we cant make later.

Conley is a really good PG. Better than anyone we have had since Dwill.

We can pick up role players later if there is a need. Its much harder to get really good players than role players.

Conley doesnt handcuff the team. He opens up more options and makes us much better. He is a huge upgrade over Rubio.

who else can we realistically put on the table besides Favors? Memphis be doing us a BIG favors if they take any of Allen, Neto, Niang, or Bradley. but that is unlikely to happen, so......
Exum who all the rumors have said they want. Crowder and Korver also creates enough room. They also want more than anything picks, like most teams rebuilding.

Exum who all the rumors have said they want. Crowder and Korver also creates enough room. They also want more than anything picks, like most teams rebuilding.
So weird to me they want Exum (though they have to for the deal to happen money wise).

They going to draft Ja and they have the RFA rights to Delon Wright (who is just a lower ceiling/more realized version of Dante).

If we missed out on Conley and the big free agents, I would be fine bringing back Favors then using our space to do deals like take Ilyasova and a future 1st or trade for Josh Jackson on the cheap or pick up a pick for taking a Miami player.

If we try in free agency by publicly throwing massive money at numerous players and we fail, so be it. That sucks, but we tried. Then we go the asset accumulation route for one off season. We take those assets and trade when the timing is right.

I want to try in free agency. I'm optimistic something good will happen.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

If we missed out on Conley and the big free agents, I would be fine bringing back Favors then using our space to do deals like take Ilyasova and a future 1st or trade for Josh Jackson on the cheap or pick up a pick for taking a Miami player.

If we try in free agency by publicly throwing massive money at numerous players and we fail, so be it. That sucks, but we tried. Then we go the asset accumulation route for one off season. We take those assets and trade when the timing is right.

I want to try in free agency. I'm optimistic something good will happen.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
we should

So weird to me they want Exum (though they have to for the deal to happen money wise).

They going to draft Ja and they have the RFA rights to Delon Wright (who is just a lower ceiling/more realized version of Dante).
I think he has decent value around the league. Most teams look past injuries that aren't chronic or going to cause problems. They see a very young player with a high upside and a decent floor when healthy. Plus he can play 2 or 3 positions with his length.

Dude do you watch or understand basketball ?

Conley breaks down defenses can create his own shot drive the lane run the point has mastery of the pick roll and plays great d. Since DWill he will be our best pg offering in a huge while
He’s not as good as D-will was for us. So, I am still not convinced he’s a superstar. How many times do I have to say he’s a non all-star! He is the jazz status quo. **** Conley!

Conley is basically a 1 Year rental given his opt out. Hopefully they don’t have to give up more than one or two first rounders

Conley is basically a 1 Year rental given his opt out. Hopefully they don’t have to give up more than one or two first rounders

I don't think it's much of an issue. Assuming everyone is right and Conley's body turns to dust due to age after one year, he'd be dumb to turn down $32. It'll be the last big money year of his career. I certainly wouldn't bet on a huge contract at 34. Shoot, no one wanted to pay George Hill after he turned 30. Of course, the Kings finally did and immediately regretted it.

Next offseason, Conley will have to watch Hill carefully. Hill is going to make $18 this year and then UFA next. Conley would be lucky to take that kind of pay at ages 34-37 or 38. Chris Paul signed his current max at age 33. Then again, we do know that is a crippling amount of money and the Rockets are totally regretting that decision and a contract like that won't be repeated in the near future.

Honestly, Payton is a much better (and cheaper) option than Exum. For those heart broken on what’s lost if we trade Exum, just add Payton on the cheap. I actually kinda do like Payton. Pretty pointless if we have Exum, though.

Honestly, Payton is a much better (and cheaper) option than Exum. For those heart broken on what’s lost if we trade Exum, just add Payton on the cheap. I actually kinda do like Payton. Pretty pointless if we have Exum, though.
we could actually trade Payton should we acquire him. I don't see us placing Exum on a trade table and get anything of value in return. not on his current contract at least

lol. hot trash that could potentially be used to trade for something. what we have on this current roster right now are a bunch of players that can't really be used to trade for anything, which is worse.

you know signing free agents is nothing like marriage. you don't have to fall in love before signing. it is all about assets and business. sometimes your team's fans favorites ain't necessarily worth a crap in the eyes of other teams GMs.

just making a point here though, I wouldn't want Payton either. he's basically made of glass lol

Last edited: