What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Yeah, I finally went and looked up those figures... pretty eye-popping.

The starting stuff would rely on some big changes, though. Still feel like the Jazz mostly aim to stand-pat, especially since Conley will make the choice for them as to who goes to make the money work. Though, I guess in that case there would be an opening in the starting lineup anyway.
Even if Mike left I'd consider a move that sends out Bojan for a guard... if we can get Gay or someone like him to come in and take his starting spot. Terry Rozier, Josh Richardson, Bledsoe and lots of draft stuff (okay I'm reaching for something now)... IDK I just think we can find something to replace Bojan and get something for him that helps in other ways. Maybe a consolidation deal with Memphis for Melton and Jones?

I kinda love the fit with Melton and Donovan... I don't think they would do it but they do have a glut of guards to figure out what to do with.

Man, I am so damn frustrated and resigned that I would throw a parade just to have Favors gone without sending assets and not face planting with the 1st round pick.

Random Favs trade to save some cash... Favs to sacramento with the #30th pick - Delon Wright to Utah with #39th pick. Saves like 2.5M to help with tax. Gives us a good perimeter defender and some PG depth. He has one year less on his deal. Sacramento has no centers under contract.. could use the vet presence.

If Mike leaves its helpful, but even if not Wright can help out and we could load manage Ingles and Conley more during the season.

Man, I am so damn frustrated and resigned that I would throw a parade just to have Favors gone without sending assets and not face planting with the 1st round pick.
AND to think about the fact that DL finished top 3 in voting for Executive of the Year this season for his signing of Favs, Doke, Hughes and Ersan.

AND to think about the fact that DL finished top 3 in voting for Executive of the Year this season for his signing of Favs, Doke, Hughes and Ersan.
The other executives voted him as one of their favorites... like the kid who brings candy for everyone in elementary school. He’s quite popular.

I just keep looking at Kuzma as an opportunity to buy low. I know he doesn't check all the boxes, but I think he could be an asset for us. If we got him, it would allow us to use Bojan as a trade chip. Bojan is better, but he's older, more expensive, and has trade value now.

If Conley wants out and he wants the Lakers, let's get some assets out of LA.

Conley
for
Kuzma, Marc Gasol, #22, and we have the choice to swap first round picks in 2025

We might not want Gasol, but LA doesn't want him and they might pay more in this deal to shed his contract. If we move on from Favors or Rudy, Gasol could be a nice bench big to have. He's only making $2.6 million next year and might be a nice tradeable contract near the deadline.

Another option could be if they are wanting to shed Harrell. Maybe they like Favors over Harrell since Favors is a better defender and is more unselfish:

Conley, Favors and #30
for
Kuzma, Harrell and #22

I just keep looking at Kuzma as an opportunity to buy low. I know he doesn't check all the boxes, but I think he could be an asset for us. If we got him, it would allow us to use Bojan as a trade chip. Bojan is better, but he's older, more expensive, and has trade value now.

Conley
for
Kuzma, Marc Gasol, #22, and we have the choice to swap first round picks in 2025

We might not want Gasol, but LA doesn't want him and they might pay more in this deal to shed his contract. If we move on from Favors or Rudy, Gasol could be a nice bench big to have. He's only making $2.6 million next year and might be a nice tradeable contract near the deadline.

Another option could be if they are wanting to shed Harrell. Maybe they like Favors over Harrell since Favors is a better defender and is more unselfish:

Conley, Favors and #30
for
Kuzma, Harrell and #22
I am in the minority with you, but I really like getting back picks and Kuz for Conley. We are so so asset poor and have no young players on the roster whose best basketball is in front of them. Essentially getting one of our first round picks back (in fact, a better pick than the first pick we gave Memphis) would take the sting out of giving up so much to get Conley. We could then try to package the picks to trade up, or draft Duarte at #22 and Tre Mann at #30. That nets us two young guys with length and athleticism on the wings (Kuz and Duarte) and our backup point guard (Mann). Then we have Bogey to dangle as a trade chip, or could possibly even keep Bogey.

Even if Kuz ends up not fitting, he is someone we could move. I am sick of running out Donovan, Rudy, and a bunch of dinosaurs.

Last edited:
On Locke’s recent podcast about the Conley situation, he mentioned the possibility of using Conley as a trade piece.

Also mentioned that he thought Dallas had interest in Ingles. Dorian Finney Smith, please.

I am in the minority with you, but I really like getting back picks and Kuz for Conley. We are so so asset poor and have no young players on the roster whose best basketball is in front of them. Essentially getting one of our first round picks back (in fact, a better pick than the first pick we gave Memphis) would take the sting out of giving up so much to get Conley. We could then try to package the picks to trade up, or draft Duarte at #22 and Tre Mann at #30. That nets us two young guys with length and athleticism on the wings (Kuz and Duarte) and our backup point guard (Mann). Then we have Bogey to dangle as a trade chip, or could possibly even keep Bogey.

Even if Kuz ends up not fitting, he is someone we could move. I am sick of running out Donovan, Rudy, and a bunch of dinosaurs.
Good post. I obviously agree.

I'm a LeBron guy, but he's just not the type guy patient enough for any sort of project. I think Kuzma and Don have a good enough relationship to where they could push each other to get better. Look at how the relationship between Don and Royce gave Royce a chance, and Royce has developed into a very nice player.

I like Bojan a lot, but I think Kuzma can replace much of what Bojan provides. He's definitely a better rebounder. Bojan has never, even in more mpg, averaged more than 4.1 rebounds per game. Kuzma has averaged more than that in all 4 seasons so far. Sure other things will be rough around the edges, but he can get better. He's not happy in LA. Maybe getting him back to Utah could bring back that happiness.

I'm not sure what we do with the picks. I like drafting a player, but I also like looking for what we could trade for. We would definitely have options.

So a Conley for Kuzma trade could give us the opportunity to trade Bojan for something of value. Rozier? Lonzo? Brogdon?

If the front office is being honest, our aging core aint it. I don’t see us replicating our number 1 seed finish next season:

(1) Suns will be better.
(2) Clippers should be the same
(3) Nuggets will get Murray back and be better.
(4) Dallas will aggressively move to get better around Doncic.
(5) Portland will either blow it up or aggressively move to get better around Lillard.
(6) Lakers will not be snakebitten with injuries and will be better.
(7) Warriors will get Klay back and will be better.
(8) Memphis is young and will only get better.

Odds of us blowing it up next year seem pretty high. In which case, start the process now of retooling to hopefully get back much sooner and have a chance of bringing Don back.

On Locke’s recent podcast about the Conley situation, he mentioned the possibility of using Conley as a trade piece.

Also mentioned that he thought Dallas had interest in Ingles. Dorian Finney Smith, please.
I think Ingles is and should be a Jazz lifer. I think he is the glue that holds them together, particularly Gobert and Donovan. I honestly think the tension between Rudy and Donovan boils over pretty quick without him. That alone is worth keeping him here.

I am not high on Kuzma, but at least he is young-ish and has shown some real skill at a position the Jazz haven't figured out. Beyond that, I still think he has value around the league. If his biggest thing is needing a change of scene and he pops here, that is the kind of good luck the franchise is going to need to keep the bottom from falling out. Considering that the Lakers roster is log-jammed in the front court, it actually would make a ton of sense that Kuzma is kind of just getting lost in that.

Or you send him to another team. Either way, it is a better use of the asset of Conley than simply losing it. I don't know if you can do a S/T straight across, though. And the question of what to do with Favors looms over this as well.

Conley
for

Conley, Favors and #30
for
Kuzma, Harrell and #22
If Conley goes there they will want to keep his besty. I think if Conley wants out this is the best we can kind of hope for... There is a case that Kyle could be better... you have to squint a little but we've been able to make guys 10-15% better before. I think Kuzma is ready for a non-Lakers basketball situation.

I am not high on Kuzma, but at least he is young-ish and has shown some real skill at a position the Jazz haven't figured out. Beyond that, I still think he has value around the league. If his biggest thing is needing a change of scene and he pops here, that is the kind of good luck the franchise is going to need to keep the bottom from falling out. Considering that the Lakers roster is log-jammed in the front court, it actually would make a ton of sense that Kuzma is kind of just getting lost in that.

Or you send him to another team. Either way, it is a better use of the asset of Conley than simply losing it. I don't know if you can do a S/T straight across, though. And the question of what to do with Favors looms over this as well.
I do think him and Don are homies so it might help our case to keep him long term. If we get him I will absolutely talk myself into him becoming like the modern Tom Chambers.

@NUMBERICA and @Handlogten's Heros

I just found this article discussing this exact thing from a Lakers' perspective.

I mean, that is just way, way too much money being discussed and I am not interested in Schroder (unless he comes on a steal of a deal). That aspect would also basically end the Jazz's offseason, and that's without getting rid of Favors. I don't think the Jazz would even be allowed to make that trade because the returning salary would be so high.

I mean, that is just way, way too much money being discussed and I am not interested in Schroder (unless he comes on a steal of a deal). That aspect would also basically end the Jazz's offseason, and that's without getting rid of Favors. I don't think the Jazz would even be allowed to make that trade because the returning salary would be so high.
I'm with you. I don't like the idea of taking back Schroder at all unless he's part of a 3 team deal.

I like the idea of Kuzma, Harrell and #22 for Conley and Favors.
We then trade Harrell for perimeter defense. I don't mind him, but we need perimeter defense more than an expiring score first big man.

That deal violates multiple CBA rules I believe... if we do it the deal would be much simpler.

There's really not much to do unless you can sell Donovan on a rebuild. That would mean getting rid of Rudy and taking a step back for a couple seasons. As painful as it would be, it's probably the right thing to do. But I don't think you could sell Donovan on it. And you better ace the quick rebuild because if you don't he's gone for sure.