What's new

Jazz play with no passion or heart because of JSloan

Archie Moses

I'm not big on Sloan being around for too much longer, but to question why he's been around for so long is just silly. How many times has JSloan missed the playoffs? The part that really gets to me in this garbage of an article is the when the author says that the Jazz players play with no passion and heart because of Jerry. Seriously? I mean, seriously?

GranJerry-1.jpg

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/397681-has-time-passed-by-jerry-sloan-and-the-jazz

Bill Clinton was in the middle of the Monica Lewinsky scandal that saw him impeached. Jesse Ventura is elected as Governor of Minnesota. Armageddon was the highest grossing movie of the year, and we were all forced to listen to Aerosmith and Puff Daddy all the time no matter how much we hated it.

Why does any of this matter, it was 12 years ago.

1998; 12 years ago was the last time the Utah Jazz made it to the NBA finals.

In 1997 & 1998 the Jazz had the bad luck of playing the Chicago Bulls who were ripping off their 5th and 6th championships, and third in a row. The Utah Jazz has not been back since.

Jerry Sloan has been the coach of the Jazz since 1988; that is 22 years ago. When he took over in Salt Lake City, Ronald Reagan was still President and the Berlin Wall was still standing. In fact you could still get a Mc DLT from McDonalds. Remember those came it two packages so the hot stayed hot and the cold stayed cold and you had to put it together your self? Don’t remember that? Go to YouTube and check out the Jason Alexander commercial for it.

Why am I bringing up the past so much? Thanks for asking! It is because the Utah Jazz are living in the past.

The Jazz have been clawing at the past for years now and some one needs to call them out on it. Yes we all loved Stockton and Malone, but they are closer to receiving social security now then they are to their playing days.

Name me another coach that has been anywhere for 22 years. There are a few in college football, but the difference is they have at least one championship.

Jerry Sloan must have some deep dark secrets on the Miller family, because that is the only way I can explain why he is still around.

Sure new coaches have not exactly been successful over the last decade or so. Since 2000 Phil Jackson has won 4 titles, Gregg Popovich has won 3, Doc Rivers Larry Brown and some guy named Pat Riley all won one each. Not exactly lightweights, but head and shoulders above Jerry Sloan.

I am not saying they need to take down the Stockton and Malone statues or change the names of the streets named after them. Just stop clinging to the past as your reason for existence.

In 1988, the same year Jerry Sloan took over as coach of the Jazz, George H.W. Bush was elected President. Think of how the country would look if he was still President today. Every few years based on the success they have we elect a new President, but for some reason for 22 years straight the Jazz have tasted neither change nor success and seem content.

The Jazz need a new head coach if they want to rise above anything more then a one and done first round and out appearance in the play offs. In order to win a title you have to be able to beat your biggest rival in the conference. Sloan and the Jazz don’t even seem like they are trying to beat the Lakers.

The Utah Jazz players do not have passion, they play with no heart they play with no sense of purpose. And that lays clearly on the shoulders of the coach. There are reasons guys like Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich can win multiple titles and some coaches can’t win one.

Have you ever been to Salt Lake when the Lakers are in town? It is easy to say the Lakers have two home courts. Sure the stadium sells a lot of tickets, but they are sold to people cheering against the Jazz and wearing Bryant jerseys.

Sloan needs to go and the Jazz need to start looking towards the future and not the past. Because the one thing we know is history repeats itself, and it has been repeating it’s self for the last 22 years in Salt Lake.

Bleacherreport? Yawn. Again, bad timing...and to say the Jazz play without passion/heart is a load of crap. They lost to a better, more talented team. And the Lakers having a homecourt in Utah? The bandwagon Laker fans are everywhere, but when the Jazz win they're silent as a mouse.

Advice my friend, advice.

You might want to ease up on the spelling errors or the Harvard Academy of Jazzfanz (about 95 - 98% of this board) are going to start giving you the rhetorical semantic talk. I'm cool though, I talk like dis, dat, and teh otha. But most of kinfolk around here don't, and they try to make you burn for it.

Keep ya chin up!

Last edited:
I posted a reply on there-a civil one albeit. Calling the Jazz players "heartless", ticks me off. Some guys may fall into that category, but when you call my entire team that you're gonna piss me off enough to warrant a reply, esp. given guys like Dwill, Millsap, and Matthews inparticular and its not fair to label the whole team as heartless simply because the Lakers are just a better team. I couldn't care less about the Sloan part of the article really, but my stance has always been that he is a victim of bad timing (or, was). Popovich often has credited Sloan, actually, for a lot of his philosophies. If you'd switched the two of them around, say, the year 2000, would Sloan have not won a single title there, facing watered down eastern conference champions? Cmon, man...really?

(1) I love how the guy writes this artcle now, about a month we were eliminated. (2) Did this guy see the series we played against Denver, AFTER Game 1 (3) Every national tv commentator praises how the players play tough & physical, just like Coach. (4) I bet you that the only coaches, the Dalia Lama Jackson respects are Pop, Brown, & Sloan. (5) How many 2nd round picks or undrafted FAs do we have on our team? These guys don't make it in this league w/out "Heart" or "Passion" !!

They guy is right, Sloan needs to go. His reason may not be correct, that the jazz play without enough heart, but Sloan should ride off into the sunset.

The big issue is that he is not focused on winning a championship. He is out of date (3 point shooting and 3 point defense) and seems more interested in running a military school than a championship basketball team. To beat the Lakers this year, the Jazz needed to develop Fes, but no, he was "jackpotter" so no way.

And the biggest issue of all: defense. His teams play pretty rotten defense, certainly not anywhere close to that played by the current 4 teams in the playoffs. This has been a constant for some time and cannot be blamed wholly on the players. And that despite it being a big point of emphasis this year and the addition of Matthews.

Not to really piss on Poppovich's parade but compare who the Spurs played in the NBA Finals with who the Jazz played in the Finals. NYK(Who's best player was a 36 year old Pat Ewing), NJ(Jason Kidd & Kenyon Martin RJ), DET(a handful of pretty good players)CLE(LeBron and the Nobodies). Seriously I think Popovich and Duncan had some of the weakest competition in the NBA Finals in a long time.

Sloan played Jordan/Pippen and Jackson right in the middle of their dynasty. I don't think SA would have beat those Bulls teams either.

Not to really piss on Poppovich's parade but compare who the Spurs played in the NBA Finals with who the Jazz played in the Finals. NYK(Who's best player was a 36 year old Pat Ewing), NJ(Jason Kidd & Kenyon Martin RJ), DET(a handful of pretty good players)CLE(LeBron and the Nobodies). Seriously I think Popovich and Duncan had some of the weakest competition in the NBA Finals in a long time.

Sloan played Jordan/Pippen and Jackson right in the middle of their dynasty. I don't think SA would have beat those Bulls teams either.

Hey, you left out Magic, and Bird, and Isaiah, and Hakeem, and and and. Absolute total BS. If the NBA was so very weak in the years Pop got rings, why could not J-Slo do it those years? Huh? Did he only coach the team in 1997-98? Or did he have two of the best for about 20 years and fail totally?

The excuse making for Sloan is just incredible. Look at the current Suns-Lakers series. Did Sloan make any of the adjustments that Gentry has to make his team more competitive? Or did ole Jer do the same ole things he has been doing for 20 years?

Hey, you left out Magic, and Bird, and Isaiah, and Hakeem, and and and. Absolute total BS. If the NBA was so very weak in the years Pop got rings, why could not J-Slo do it those years? Huh? Did he only coach the team in 1997-98? Or did he have two of the best for about 20 years and fail totally?

The excuse making for Sloan is just incredible. Look at the current Suns-Lakers series. Did Sloan make any of the adjustments that Gentry has to make his team more competitive? Or did ole Jer do the same ole things he has been doing for 20 years?
I think the main point of this thread was saying his team didn't play hard or with heart/hustle, there may be times they don't or some players that don't always but that is different.
I have my issues with J-Slo but after 2000 it was pretty clear the Jazz were where the Spurs are currently just a bit too old to win it all, that is not making excuses just a simple face. IMO Houston's first championship was the Jazz's best chance and that I could realistically say you could start to look at Sloan.

Not really. How many teams are able to stay on the very top for more than 2 years? Most don't. Spurs won one Champions with Duncan & Robinson maybe 2 if Duncan didn't get hurt and have to miss that Suns series. After that Robison wasn't good enough anymore. They didn't win again until they had 2 more all star caliber guys Parker/Ginobli.

What years did Sloan clearly have better players and didn't come through?

They guy is right, Sloan needs to go. His reason may not be correct, that the jazz play without enough heart, but Sloan should ride off into the sunset.

The big issue is that he is not focused on winning a championship. He is out of date (3 point shooting and 3 point defense) and seems more interested in running a military school than a championship basketball team. To beat the Lakers this year, the Jazz needed to develop Fes, but no, he was "jackpotter" so no way.

And the biggest issue of all: defense. His teams play pretty rotten defense, certainly not anywhere close to that played by the current 4 teams in the playoffs. This has been a constant for some time and cannot be blamed wholly on the players. And that despite it being a big point of emphasis this year and the addition of Matthews.

Going to disagree, I think he has adapted to today's game. This team has not been a traditional halfcourt offense team & runs much more than in the S&M days. In the past he has been reluctant on 3 pt attempts (preferring efficient shots near the rim) but how many 3s have we seen the team jack up this post-season? Also, you have to give the coaches the benefit of doubt when developing players. Some players grasp the system & show signs of improvement (see Millsap & the emergence of Wesley being out startng 2 to start the year). Fes showed flashes of what he could be but these young kids have to learn how be professionals.

To echo what Chad said, and I've always believed this...timing is everything. Also, if Sloan had been coaching those Spurs teams, would he have won ZERO titles? Doubtful but yes, I know, ifs and buts are candy and nuts bla bla bla, and i'm not knocking Pop, he's a great coach but read up on his thoughts on Sloan, he often credits him for a lot of what he's learned for the better. Anyway, there are arguements that can be made obviously for firing him but accusing the team of being heartless isn't one of them. And hiring a new coach won't make our front line taller than the beheamoths L.A. has that tower over us.