What's new

Jazz select Grayson Allen at 21

Was hoping there'd be links to interviews in this thread.

For the record I did not want Allen but I am bias cause I can't stand Duke so most negative things I have to say or have opinions on are skewed due to this fact. I think one thing that doesn't have me going all Numberica is once the season was over and went into draft mode and the Chicago workouts it became evidently clear there was a very good chance he'd be slated around where the Jazz pick. As another poster said it was a stereotypical pick to outsiders and there is no denying that but I would NEVER base not picking a guy because he reinforces a negative stereotype, that is just not a smart way to base a decision in any way shape or form.

I thought the Jazz might pick the kid from OH ST Diop and he fell into the middle of the 2nd round so that shows what I know, I was hoping the Jazz would move up to get him.

Again not a fan of the pick but while not all, a lot of the hate doesn't have a lot of intelligent argument and/or a counter/alternative pick behind it, they had their mind made up similar to I did that for the last 2-4yrs that I don't like him and there's nothing anybody could do to change the opinion of him.

I’m not even going to lie. I love all of your guys tears. It’s seriously so funny how happy I am with the pick compared to some of you.

I'm okay with it. The draft played out pretty much as expected, with the exception of MPJ dropping and Robert Williams dropping. All the guys I was keyed in on -- Robinson, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, etc. went in the 15 - 20 range as expected. Those guys have more upside than Grayson Allen, but Allen will play hard, he's been well coached, and he'll fit into what Quin wants him to do.

I'm cool with the pick because he fits the Jazz DNA. While I'm not super high on the pick right now, I think we're going to all love him.

Utah miss out on Robert Williams, Elie Okobo,Isaac Bonga, and Kostas Antetokounmpo I would been happy if we took Dzanan Musa
I also wanted Musa but was a reach at 21 so I didn't think the Jazz would draft him but was hoping they'd trade up in the 2nd round to grab him.

Oh also I missed saying in my other post that I believe and agree with those that said Holiday was BPA but again knew the Jazz wouldn't draft him unless one of Exum or Rubio was being shipped out.

It's going to be interesting to hear DL talk about the Allen workout. The guy must have had one heck of a workout.

The best part of this pick was the continued display of top notch leadership by Donovan Mitchell:

This guy is special...

This draft was like 2015 all over again. Loved Myles Turner and was pretty meh on Trey Lyles. So, of course, that’s who the Jazz picked. I’d have much rather had a 3&D wing like Jacob Evans or Melvin Frazier. Would’ve been happy with a Okobo or Simons for upside.

Don’t like drafting a guy that feels like he is what he is. It feels like a safe pick. Boring. Hope I’m wrong and he does great and gets better. Don’t hate the pick, but it doesn’t excite me either. Just not sure he’s a guy that contributes in the playoffs - which should be priority #1 now.

Anybody watch this yet? From Barstool Sports, had me LOL'ing
*Warning it bleeps out swears but it Bleeps it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys this was a bad pick. A further negative added to this is the fact we now have Donovan, who has been in a full out attempt to change the perception of this market, and then you pick Allen. Sorry guys, but a pick like this makes a lot of people who cover the league, or are in the league...sort of laugh and think “classic Utah”.
If they think that they are idiots.

Let's look at the Jazz draft first round history for the past 15 years:

2005: Deron Williams, not a white guy
2006: Ronnie Brewer, not a white guy
2007: Morris Almond, not a white guy
2008: Kosta Kofus. Yes a white guy. Who is still in the league. Not a great pick, but hardly an awful one.
2009: Eric Maynor, not a white guy
2010: Gordon Hayward. Yes a white guy. Also an all-star, even though I hate his guts
2011: Enes Kanter. I don't want to wage into the waters on what race Turks are considered, but hardly some all American white guy where the FO was thinking "boy, his whiteness will really drive fans into the seats."
2011: Alec Burks, not a white guy
2012: No pick
2013: Trey Burke, not a white guy
2013: Rudy Gobert, not a white guy
2014: Dante Exum, not a white guy
2014: Rodney Hood, not a white guy
2015: Trey Lyles, not a white guy
2016: No pick
2017: Donovan Mitchell, not a white guy

Not a lot of token white guy picks on the list. The two that are turned out to be an all-star and a journeyman player who has been in the league for 10 years.