What's new

Jazz still not watching film together

BabyPeterzz

Contributor
I harped on this last season, and the season before. The coaching staff and the team do not watch film together. This blows my ****ing mind! If there is any reason to watch film, this season is one of them.

Deron:

Problem is not personal relationships but on the court:

It's just on the court. We [need to] spend some more time together. Maybe we need to watch the film. That would be nice.

Usually never get together as a team and watch game film:

No. Not really.

Something you'd like to change:

It'd be nice. That's one thing I've talked about in years past.

Who you've talked to:

It doesn't matter.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/jazznotes/50568084-62/team-chemistry-saying-guys.html.csp

Well Imperial Sloan is a big believer of "it's either his way or the highway."

Edited to add:

On any other team, if the star player "suggested" that he'd like to watch film with the team, it would be done. I mean, to not watch game film when the players are used to that from a scholastic perspective is incredibly dumbfounding.

Cue: Sloan Brow the apologist.

I'm not sure if anyone here watched that Spike Lee documentary about Kobe, but I found it very interesting how the team watched film of the first half of the game and made the proper adjustments the second half. It was also interesting to see how Kobe approached his teammates and taught them on the floor during the game.

I'm actually somewhat shocked that they don't watch film together.

Unbelievably retarded.

AS far as I know, the Jazz started using some new techniques determining, evaluating the players' effort on the court and using game films last season. Maybe they stopped using them.

AS far as I know, the Jazz started using some new techniques determining, evaluating the players' effort on the court and using game films last season. Maybe they stopped using them.
Providing players with a score for the players effort (or evaluating it among coaches) is a positive thing but by no means a replacement for actually breaking things down for players as a team or one-on-one with a coach.

Ya know, it was clear from the games that Sloan was deficient in his adjustments during games, but this news is even beyond what my perception of Sloan was. Breaking down game film as a team, just like analyzing matchups on a given night, are Coaching 101. And evidently the Jazz don't do them--at least not much.

I'm not sure if anyone here watched that Spike Lee documentary about Kobe, but I found it very interesting how the team watched film of the first half of the game and made the proper adjustments the second half. It was also interesting to see how Kobe approached his teammates and taught them on the floor during the game.

I'm actually somewhat shocked that they don't watch film together.
Adjustments. Quite a concept. Think about it, Jerry. Oh, and think about not playing two PFs or two centers together as much. You did both in the first two disastrous games of the season.

Earlier, Jefferson was talking about Williams and he going over the film. So, the film seems to be available to the players.

Does anyone think that the coaches said, "You can have two players in this room, but not the whole team"?

With the bargaining agreement, the practice time is limited. Would this film time be coming during practice time? Is that the best use of practice time? Can players be mandated to watch film out of practice time? Are coaches even allowed to lead such a film session?

Sloan may very well be throwing away an oppotunity. But until someone can answer those questions, we don't really know. I know Williams is a passionate, dedicated player who I suspect doesn't care about the restrictions of the labor agreement, but team management is required to care about these issues.

I could care less what they watch together. The way this season has started they could be spending hours a day together watching film and something else would be wrong. Only thing that will make Deron happy is W's.

This film puzzle baffles me. I would think it crucial to spend a little time watching game film, to anticipate pacing, gaps, floor spacing, habits, flow of offense, all sorts of things.

This film puzzle baffles me. I would think it crucial to spend a little time watching game film, to anticipate pacing, gaps, floor spacing, habits, flow of offense, all sorts of things.

I agree. Every player should be doing it.

Earlier, Jefferson was talking about Williams and he going over the film. So, the film seems to be available to the players.

Does anyone think that the coaches said, "You can have two players in this room, but not the whole team"?

With the bargaining agreement, the practice time is limited. Would this film time be coming during practice time? Is that the best use of practice time? Can players be mandated to watch film out of practice time? Are coaches even allowed to lead such a film session?

Sloan may very well be throwing away an oppotunity. But until someone can answer those questions, we don't really know. I know Williams is a passionate, dedicated player who I suspect doesn't care about the restrictions of the labor agreement, but team management is required to care about these issues.

Right on cue. As expected.

To clear up, every player receives a DVD after EVERY GAME. On road games, these are handed out on the planes so they can watch them immediately after on their DVD players/laptops in-flight. So if the players aren't watching the tape at all, or don't feel like joining other players who try to organize their own thing, blame those players; not Sloan, who is limited in the amount of time he is allowed on stuff like this due to the CBA. It's like a player's homework. Do your ****ing homework, players. I'm sure Sloan expects each player to have gone over before the next practice, but it is obvious that many of them are not.

I wouldn't consider myself a Sloan apologist at all, but if you don't think that Sloan knows what he is doing at almost all times, you are out of your ****ing mind.

To clear up, every player receives a DVD after EVERY GAME. On road games, these are handed out on the planes so they can watch them immediately after on their DVD players/laptops in-flight. So if the players aren't watching the tape at all, or don't feel like joining other players who try to organize their own thing, blame those players; not Sloan, who is limited in the amount of time he is allowed on stuff like this due to the CBA. It's like a player's homework. Do your ****ing homework, players. I'm sure Sloan expects each player to have gone over before the next practice, but it is obvious that many of them are not.

I wouldn't consider myself a Sloan apologist at all, but if you don't think that Sloan knows what he is doing at almost all times, you are out of your ****ing mind.
We are doing our homework. Did anyone say that the players aren't getting game film? I think not. The criticism is that they aren't going over game film as a team. And your mention of CBA limitations isn't particularly relevant; somehow Phil Jackson and the world champions find time to go over game film as a team. AFAIK, they aren't breaking any rules in doing so. Again, this is coaching fundamentals: review game film as a team, make adjustments in games (perhaps from the game film).

The team is probably watching film as we type.

Minutes later, while the Olympic guard sat by himself on a trainer’s table and self applied athletic tape, Utah coach Jerry Sloan responded to his star player’s comments.

Sloan said Jazz coaches had already watched film of the team’s second consecutive blowout loss, a 110-94 nationally-televised defeat to Phoenix on Thursday. A group session was then planned before practice Friday.

“We’ll see what happens,” Sloan said.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50569066-76/williams-jazz-sloan-team.html.csp

So Deron should take matters into his own hands. He's the sole team captain, does he think the coaches are going to intervene if he gets the team together to watch film?

As the lone team Captain now, Deron should organize film sessions with his teammates if he likes the idea. What/who is stopping him from doing this?? Maybe Boozer was against doing this before?
As Captain Picard would say, "MAKE IT SO"...

The question is not whether Deron can gets his guys together to watch film. The question is whether Darth Sloan can look deep inside of himself and just for once, bend a little and JOIN the players during the session. I mean, he is the coach and has years of experience that would be very helpful for the young guys as well as the veterans.

I mean, let's say they come upon a point in the viewing session where they watch a specific breakdown in a play. What are they supposed to do? Come up on a fix on their own and implement it? That would be ludicrous. Darth Sloan needs to be there to add his opinion and to help the players understand.

Why are we arguing about this? It's ****ing common ****ing sense.