What's new

Jazz to release Shaq Harrison

I think this is correct. Forrest looks to be what I was hoping to get on the roster. Was hesitant to rely on a rookie but we seen a little from him and it looks good.

I'm actually okay with this. I think all the guys on the roster are about what I would have reasonable expected and Niang leveled up his defense. I'm good with the move and honestly its the right thing to do so he can get some playing time somewhere else.
This coming from Shaq's biggest cheerleader. I expected tears.

Regarding the news, I can't decide if this is about pinching pennies to get under the cap so we can save trillions by the time we resign Conley? Or if this is a win move now move freeing up a roster spot for a guy we think will put us over the top... screw future costs! We want a ring!!!

He never got an opportunity... he’s a really good defender. Hopefully we stay healthy and don’t regret this. I would be willing to bet large sums of money he ends up on another roster.

It's better for UTA if someone picks him off waivers, this way we're clear of the whole contract. I wonder if UTA and his agent worked something out where he knew he wasn't getting time here, but maybe his agent already found a team willing to take him off of waivers.

It's hard to know what goes on in practice, but he was way behind Niang/Oni/Morgan in the pecking order to get time and he might have been overtaken by Forrest as well.

Regarding the news, I can't decide if this is about pinching pennies to get under the cap so we can save trillions by the time we resign Conley? Or if this is a win move now move freeing up a roster spot for a guy we think will put us over the top... screw future costs! We want a ring!!!
I'm good. I think you have to re-evaluate things constantly. The path for Shaq getting minutes is tough and as @Saint Cy of JFC mentioned... we've seen what Forrest can do and I think he'd at least provide 80-85% of what Shaq does.

Its pinching pennies but if we can get below the tax this year it may save us on the repeater tax long term. I think we only sign someone if an amazing buyout guy pops up.

The Utah Jazz will release Shaquille Harrison.
Harrison signed a non-guaranteed deal with the Jazz in December shortly after training camp started for the team but was never able to establish himself in Quin Snyder's rotation.

The deal would have become fully guaranteed on Wednesday.

Harrison began his NBA career during the 2017-18 season with the Phoenix Suns and spent two seasons with the Chicago Bulls before signing with the Jazz.
KYLE IRELAND, BEN ANDERSON/KSL SPORTS

It's better for UTA if someone picks him off waivers, this way we're clear of the whole contract. I wonder if UTA and his agent worked something out where he knew he wasn't getting time here, but maybe his agent already found a team willing to take him off of waivers.

It's hard to know what goes on in practice, but he was way behind Niang/Oni/Morgan in the pecking order to get time and he might have been overtaken by Forrest as well.
Agree with all of this. (Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" playing in the background... one single solitary tear rolls down my cheek in appreciation/sadness/understanding)

We were at 14 so we already had a roster spot free.

Chances are, someone who can help the team will get waived prior to the deadline.

I'm wondering what the front office deems the greatest need at the moment.
Then wait for them to be available.

This isn’t a basketball decision. But yeah, the Jazz are gonna go $45 milli in the hole next year.

Last edited:

Okay so we are 1.2M above the tax... If someone picks up Shaq we are $430k away... only way to drop below would be to trade a player making more than the min. I think we could nab a guy that was drafted in second round through a trade and sneak under.

Doesn't make sense to be barely in the tax... either fill out the roster or get under the tax. Anything in between in the worst kind of penny pinching.

I guess if no one claims Shaq then we will be in the tax no matter what... basically. So that is something to watch.

Okay so we are 1.2M above the tax... If someone picks up Shaq we are $430k away... only way to drop below would be to trade a player making more than the min. I think we could nab a guy that was drafted in second round through a trade and sneak under.

Doesn't make sense to be barely in the tax... either fill out the roster or get under the tax. Anything in between in the worst kind of penny pinching.

I doubt that we trade any of our top 9 rotational players through Miye.

And our lowest cost 2 way players can't make any less (Jarrell Brantley and Trent Forrest).

So that means, if we are going to get under the cap we are talking about dumping:

Elijah Hughes ($898,000)
Juwan Morgan ($1,517,000)
Udoka Azibuike ($1,977,000)

So called "capoligists" out there... If Udoka qualifies as an injured player exception does that mean that part of his salary doesn't count against the cap? Or are we still on the books?

My prediction is that Trent Forrest is converted to an NBA contract.
If so, I think it will be for basketball reasons. I don't see how it helps in any way financially.

(Edit: I should have said that it wouldn't help with the luxury tax, I think. If we picked up Forrest and nobody else and then didn't replace him as a two-way, then I suppose it would save a couple hundred thousand of 2-way salary, perhaps.)

I doubt that we trade any of our top 9 rotational players through Miye.

And our lowest cost 2 way players can't make any less (Jarrell Brantley and Trent Forrest).

So that means, if we are going to get under the cap we are talking about dumping:

Elijah Hughes ($898,000)
Juwan Morgan ($1,517,000)
Udoka Azibuike ($1,977,000)

So called "capoligists" out there... If Udoka qualifies as an injured player exception does that mean that part of his salary doesn't count against the cap? Or are we still on the books?
But we can't just dump them. We need to get to 13 players so you'd need to flip Morgan for a guy who was drafted in the second round this year that has a salary similar to Hughes. It has to be a guy taken in the second round because a rookie that wasn't drafted has the same cap hit as a minimum deal (there is a reason this is the case).

Only way to do this is if Udoka took less than 120% of his rookie salary scale. No idea how to confirm this.

But we can't just dump them. We need to get to 13 players so you'd need to flip Morgan for a guy who was drafted in the second round this year that has a salary similar to Hughes. It has to be a guy taken in the second round because a rookie that wasn't drafted has the same cap hit as a minimum deal (there is a reason this is the case).
Of course. Morgan for a 2nd round pick for example. Then sign a minimum salary player (a la Trent). That saves close to $1 million right?