What's new

Joe Johnson doesn't fit

Joe Johnson doesn't quite fit...yet. I suspect he will fit quite well by mid-season. Even if he never fits (which I doubt) he will be worth having around for what he can teach guys like Rodney Hood.

Joe Johnson is not a 2 or even a 3 anymore. He doesn't take shots inside the offense. His shots are ISO which have not been a part of the jazz offense for many years. His best position is a stretch 4 which he played at Miami. The problem is that Lyles is the future and that future is now. Lyles backs up favors for the time being and honestly Lyles is playing better than JJ.

That means JJ is a man without a position. The jazz can keep trying to force a square peg into that round hole (ie playing JJ as a 2 or a 3) but it won't work in the long run.

Over reacting much? JJ is what we lacked in a very long time. For goodness sake it's preseason don't read too much into it! Geez

He may be the best in the box, Iso player on the team. Especially if going up against 3's instead of 4 or 5's. Favors is the only one really even close with their back to the basket. Believe it or not, even in a motion or movement based offense that is a valuable skill to possess.

It's safe to say he's been terrible so far. I don't know how you can refute that. Hopefully it's just a preseason thing, but we're going to lean on him a lot to begin the season. If he doesn't change the way he's playing we're some trouble. I get why you would blow it off if it was a make/miss type of thing, but the problem here is the way he's choosing to play.

It's safe to say he's been terrible so far. I don't know how you can refute that. Hopefully it's just a preseason thing, but we're going to lean on him a lot to begin the season. If he doesn't change the way he's playing we're some trouble. I get why you would blow it off if it was a make/miss type of thing, but the problem here is the way he's choosing to play.
Oh god everybody panic the guy has played terrible in limited minutes while joining a team with an entirely different system than he has ever run. I get he hasn't looked great, but good lord give him a little time. And by that I mean half the season at least. Hell I'd be happy if all he did was play pretty well in the post season.

Oh god everybody panic the guy has played terrible in limited minutes while joining a team with an entirely different system than he has ever run. I get he hasn't looked great, but good lord give him a little time. And by that I mean half the season at least. Hell I'd be happy if all he did was play pretty well in the post season.

Just because you can identify it as terrible play doesn't mean you're in panic. He's been very bad so far. If he continues to play bad it will make the team worse. It's really a simple line of thinking, but if you say one bad thing about one of our players it's like you're a terrorist around here. I guess it's ok to have positive takeaways from the preseason, but if it's negative you're just in panic. Makes a lot of sense.

Joe Johnson is going to start and play big minutes right away, so yeah, I'd say it's pretty important that he adapts quickly. Almost every time he catches the ball he kills the ball movement and stalls the offense. That isn't getting used to the offense, that's just what his instincts tell him to do. He needs to start playing in the same mindset as he did in Miami. Right now he's playing in quick sand and it needs to change quickly. He will be starting real NBA games in two weeks.

So what is our clutch lineup on offense with Jo? Does he play the 4 and push Favors to the 5? I suppose him and Hayward can play an interchangeable 3/4?

I was very concerned opening this thread. But after I saw that it hadn't been taken down after almost 24 hours, I figured it was safe.

Too early.

Joe Johnson is not a 2 or even a 3 anymore. He doesn't take shots inside the offense. His shots are ISO which have not been a part of the jazz offense for many years. His best position is a stretch 4 which he played at Miami. The problem is that Lyles is the future and that future is now. Lyles backs up favors for the time being and honestly Lyles is playing better than JJ.

That means JJ is a man without a position. The jazz can keep trying to force a square peg into that round hole (ie playing JJ as a 2 or a 3) but it won't work in the long run.

It's been preseason which nobody cares about, except you apparently. Way too early to determine if Joe Johnson is a fit or not. Patience, At this rate your going to be throwing out your
Christmas tree by the first week of December.

Let's see if you can find which of these things is not like the other:

Patrick Christopher doesn't fit
Elliot Williams doesn't fit
Tour'e Murray doesn't fit
Kevin Murphy doesn't fit
Seven-time All Star Joe Johnson doesn't fit
Elijah Millsap doesn't fit
Erick Green doesn't fit
Bryce Cotton doesn't fit
Diante Garrett doesn't fit

Well, you have a choice between Joe Johnson or Chris Johnson. Who you got? (Yeah... that Question was meant to be rhetorical.)

Yeah, I had a feeling some fans would single out JJ as an early scapegoat.

You had that feeling because he sucks. Its one thing to pay him the minimum and sit him at thr end of the bench. Quite another to pay him 10 million a year.

The NBA has already conlcuded he is no longer good. But for some reason the Jazz desperately sccopped him up and over paid him.

You had that feeling because he sucks. Its one thing to pay him the minimum and sit him at thr end of the bench. Quite another to pay him 10 million a year.

The NBA has already conlcuded he is no longer good. But for some reason the Jazz desperately sccopped him up and over paid him.

He was very formidable/ efficient in his role with the Heat last season. I don't know how you have concluded that the NBA (world?) has concluded he is no longer good. Had he been bad with the heat, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but since he was good.... So, there's that.

He was very formidable/ efficient in his role with the Heat last season. I don't know how you have concluded that the NBA (world?) has concluded he is no longer good. Had he been bad with the heat, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but since he was good.... So, there's that.

The Heat have no one, and they still didnt want to keep him. What does that tell you? The freaking Brooklyn Nets loved him so much too that they bought him out. What does that tell you?

Joe Johnson was a faulty player when he was young and still serviceable. He doesnt play winning basketball. I dont know why all of a sudden people expect him to be good. Yes, that is what you expect for 10 million a year.