What's new

Joe Johnson doesn't fit

smh we didn't even wait until the season to start before we started scapegoating

I think JJ is going to fit in well as the season goes on and he will also help the development of guys like Hood in some aspects of their game or game preparation. But even if he doesn't contribute a lot I won't be upset about it. The Jazz made three seemingly good acquisitions over the offseason -- Hill, Johnson, and Diaw. If only two of those pan out those are pretty good results and a pretty good improvement to the team.

The Heat have no one, and they still didnt want to keep him. What does that tell you? The freaking Brooklyn Nets loved him so much too that they bought him out. What does that tell you?

Joe Johnson was a faulty player when he was young and still serviceable. He doesnt play winning basketball. I dont know why all of a sudden people expect him to be good. Yes, that is what you expect for 10 million a year.

Unless you're Tyrone Corbin there is no reason to stack your team with a layer of veterans if you're rebuilding like The Nets and Heat are.

I agree that as a feature player making 25mil Joe Johnson came with a lot of negatives. But as a supporting player who has accepted his role on the team I see a lot of potential. I don't think it will be that difficult to make this guy a net positive.

The transition and familiarity of our 3 new players is critical and will be a big deal. And I imagine we will keep seeing evidence of the adjustment for the first 20 plus games. Being worried about JJ in preseason and during a time of experimenting with who fits well with each other is premature at best.

The year hasn't even started and it's not likely JJ will be top 5 in minutes when the year is over.
He was brought on to be a good role player, and bring depth and experience.
He's not "the guy".
That would be one of these 4, or all of them.
Hayward, Gobert, Favors, Hood

2nd level-role players
Hill, Exum, Burks, Lyles, JJ

He fits just fine.

Johnson is good in his bench role. His post ups will be valuable and I've been impressed with what I've heard from him as a leader. Also his spot up shooting will be a weapon even on nights he goes 1 for 3 because teams will still respect it and stay close.

He's also going to be able to play spot minutes at PF when we need it.

Maybe we just need to chill a bit.

At this point I'll take Joe Ingles play over Joe Johnsons........I think Joe Johnson looks exactly what he is ..a player going on 36 years old who can't change his style at this point of his career. Age happens and it's biting JJ in the a$$ at this point and you can see it.

At this point I'll take Joe Ingles play over Joe Johnsons........I think Joe Johnson looks exactly what he is ..a player going on 36 years old who can't change his style at this point of his career. Age happens and it's biting JJ in the a$$ at this point and you can see it.
Then why was he so good with the Heat last year?

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think JJ is going to fit in well as the season goes on and he will also help the development of guys like Hood in some aspects of their game or game preparation. But even if he doesn't contribute a lot I won't be upset about it. The Jazz made three seemingly good acquisitions over the offseason -- Hill, Johnson, and Diaw. If only two of those pan out those are pretty good results and a pretty good improvement to the team.
Good post. IMO, JJ was a luxury acquisition because of the wings we already had, plus Favors and Lyles at the 4. The real need was a PG. Last year the Jazz went through stretches when everyone seemed scared to shoot, or other teams just dared Burke, CJ, etc to fire away from deep. JJ can spark the offense. He can make opposing defenses honest. And if he doesn't? Jazz had cash to burn. He's here for two years, then gives way to younger players.

better question is why didn't didn't the heat move in and resign him themselves,aren't they in the playoff hunt as well

Not really. They let Wade go, they let Deng go, they have no interest in working to clear Bosh. I think they want to compete, but they are more interested in developing guys like Richardson and Winslow. They want to make the playoffs, but they didnt want to pay $$$ in a year they had no real chance to contend.

Also, just looked at his preseason shooting numbers from the last two seasons... both were bad. I'm fairly certain the pre-season JJ is not the same JJ we get during the regular season.

Before the season, I was confident that Hood would start over JJ.

I'm just gonna backtrack on that right now. This is only one game, but JJ showed an ability to score at will that this team only gets from time to time from our best scorers(Gordo and Hood). If there was any doubt about his age creeping up, JJ put that **** to bed in the first game of the season. Dude still got it in a big way. IMO, as much as I love Hood, JJ gotta start next to Hayward when he comes back.

Nothing this board likes more than digging up old posts and rubbing it in peoples faces. Joe played great, I think he was a great pickup. This was one game, he still could suck for us this season. I doubt it and hope not but...

Nothing this board likes more than digging up old posts and rubbing it in peoples faces. Joe played great, I think he was a great pickup. This was one game, he still could suck for us this season. I doubt it and hope not but...

So, Joe does what he's been doing for 16 years but you accuse people of using a "one game" sample? smh

I haven't followed Joe much since he left Atlanta years ago. Always knew he had game. But at his age I didn't expect what he did last night. The expressions on his face were determination and stop passing it to other people. "Give me the ****ing ball"

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Wow! Talk about board overreaction over a first game loss.