What's new

Just found out Jeff Malone lives in a budget apartment complex near my home

In my experience, these guys who have been out of the game always love it when you mention specific memories of them. Tom Chambers does local broadcasts here in Phoenix (he's sort of a Thurl Bailey equivalent in terms of role) and they broadcast right next to the arena. I told him one time that I was at the game where he scored his 20,000th point and he seemed to really appreciate it.

I have a similar Jeff Malone memory where he stole an inbounds pass and ran it back for a layup to win a game as time expired. I believe it was against the Sonics, but I'm not sure. One of the most memorable game endings I've ever seen even though I was a little kid.

Haha, yeah, a cake might not be a good idea. But we should really do something on behalf of Jazzfanz, even if it's just a note saying thank you. Because he was a big part of some pretty decent Jazz teams, especially when you compare them to the teams of the past 15 years. In both of his first two seasons, the Jazz lost to the Blazers in the playoffs. Once in the conference finals, and once in the semis. That Blazers team made the Finals twice in 3-4 years, so they were pretty good. No shame in losing to a better team, as the Blazers certainly were at that point. And I think it'd mean a lot to him.

I wanted to do something like this a couple of years ago when Jeremy Evans was getting married and someone figured out where the couple were registered. And I thought it'd be nice to get them a little something on behalf of the message board. But then I was backpacking through England and Scotland at the time, and my internet was spotty, and my credit card was blocked because buying tickets to a football match was a suspicious purchase and the whole thing never happened.

Haha, yeah, a cake might not be a good idea. But we should really do something on behalf of Jazzfanz, even if it's just a note saying thank you. Because he was a big part of some pretty decent Jazz teams, especially when you compare them to the teams of the past 15 years. In both of his first two seasons, the Jazz lost to the Blazers in the playoffs. Once in the conference finals, and once in the semis. That Blazers team made the Finals twice in 3-4 years, so they were pretty good. No shame in losing to a better team, as the Blazers certainly were at that point. And I think it'd mean a lot to him.

I wanted to do something like this a couple of years ago when Jeremy Evans was getting married and someone figured out where the couple were registered. And I thought it'd be nice to get them a little something on behalf of the message board. But then I was backpacking through England and Scotland at the time, and my internet was spotty, and my credit card was blocked because buying tickets to a football match was a suspicious purchase and the whole thing never happened.

IAWTP. I'm in for chipping in some ducets.

I hate when people stubbornly use arguments with no factual basis.

In his first season with the Jazz, Jeff Malone took 20+ shots 6 times and shot under .500 one of those times. He went 11-23 that game. He took 15 or more shots 37 times. The worst percentage of those 37 was when he shot 5-15 for .333. He shot .500 or better 18 of those times. .450 or better 26 times.

In his second season, he did have one game where he shot 4-21 and one where he shot 3-14. The Jazz won both of those, by the way. Took 20+ shots 17 times and and shot below .450 for the night twice. He had 19 games where he took more than 10 shots and shot over .600. The Jazz won every single one of them.

In his third season, he had a 4-18, a 4-16, and a 6-18 game. The Jazz won two of those three. He shot over .600 on 15+ shots in 12 different games. He shot under .400 in 17 games, and averaged 13 shots in those. Two fewer than his season shots per game average.

Now, these are just some stats, selected to illustrate how poorly supported your assertions are. You might say they're cherry picked, but then by all means, find ones that support you. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonje01.html

How many games can you find that support your assertion that "he shot the Jazz out of just as many games as he helped win." Remember, we're not dealing with generalities here. If you're making this statement, surely you should be able to find some specific games that match the criteria you laid out. Where Jeff Malone shot a lot, shot poorly, and the Jazz lost. Because I haven't been able to find more than 2-3 games like that.

Fair enough. He was a 2 time all-star, so calling him a chucker is probably a bit unfair. I don't really care enough about this to do a bunch of research, so I'll just amend my statement to this: During the last year or two he played in Utah, Jeff was more chucker than he was all-star. I'm going to stick with that because I believe it to be true, regardless of who does or doesn't agree with me.

this-day-06-25.jpg

It looks like he is being guarded by Rodney Hood.

His assist numbers are irrelevant to the assertion that he shot the Jazz out of just as many games as he helped them win.

I already back tracked on that particular statement, as I was going off memory from over 20 years ago. His assist numbers are completely relevant to my claim that he was a chucker.

You must have an extremely obscure definition of the word "chucker" if it includes players that virtually never shot their teams out of games.