What's new

Just found out Jeff Malone lives in a budget apartment complex near my home

IDK. He averaged 15 shots a game and made over 50% of his shots (career 48%). I'm not sure I'd call that chucking. If I have a shooting guard shooting at 50% I'd want him taking at least that many shots. Hayward takes the same number and shoots 44%. He may have had is off nights, but that's pretty solid.

Except Jeff Malone couldn't shoot the 3. Not even a little bit. like a handful made a year. I'll take a 44% if a good percentage of those makes are 3's.

Jeff Malone was not a chucker. Solid mid range shooter who helped the Jazz get to another level by providing a missing piece. Horny was an upgrade but JM was no slouch.

Is that what smurfs are eating these days??

Have you ever seen rabbit pellets in the bottom of the cage? We smurf's make them the same way and sell to human's as food. Suckas.

Jeff Malone was not a chucker. Solid mid range shooter who helped the Jazz get to another level by providing a missing piece. Horny was an upgrade but JM was no slouch.

I think some people are confused as to what a chucker is. To me, it's a guy who has no feel for when he's having an off night, and continues to toss up brick after brick instead of passing the damn ball. Jeff Malone was a chucker. Honestly, I'm glad this subject has come up, because it reminds not judge players too much by stat sheets. If I was just looking at Malone's stat sheets, I'd agree with those who say he wasn't a chucker. Since I'm an actual witness to the crimes, I know differently.

Have you ever seen rabbit pellets in the bottom of the cage? We smurf's make them the same way and sell to human's as food. Suckas.

I think some people are confused as to what a chucker is. To me, it's a guy who has no feel for when he's having an off night, and continues to toss up brick after brick instead of passing the damn ball. Jeff Malone was a chucker. Honestly, I'm glad this subject has come up, because it reminds not judge players too much by stat sheets. If I was just looking at Malone's stat sheets, I'd agree with those who say he wasn't a chucker. Since I'm an actual witness to the crimes, I know differently.

There's a reason he kept shooting, it was his role on the team. He was a scorer. He was a midrange assassin. Few did it better from 15 ft and below the 3 pt line. He wasn't the same player with the Jazz that he was with the bullets. He had a bad back and knees, and a lot less athletic but his jumpshot was unstoppable like the sky hook was for Kareem. It's not like he was CJ Miles. He was extremely clutch for us. Let's also not forget that in 5 years with the Jazz he shot over 50% twice and no worse then 48% at any point in those five years. He was on more then he wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate when people stubbornly use arguments with no factual basis.

In his first season with the Jazz, Jeff Malone took 20+ shots 6 times and shot under .500 one of those times. He went 11-23 that game. He took 15 or more shots 37 times. The worst percentage of those 37 was when he shot 5-15 for .333. He shot .500 or better 18 of those times. .450 or better 26 times.

In his second season, he did have one game where he shot 4-21 and one where he shot 3-14. The Jazz won both of those, by the way. Took 20+ shots 17 times and and shot below .450 for the night twice. He had 19 games where he took more than 10 shots and shot over .600. The Jazz won every single one of them.

In his third season, he had a 4-18, a 4-16, and a 6-18 game. The Jazz won two of those three. He shot over .600 on 15+ shots in 12 different games. He shot under .400 in 17 games, and averaged 13 shots in those. Two fewer than his season shots per game average.

Now, these are just some stats, selected to illustrate how poorly supported your assertions are. You might say they're cherry picked, but then by all means, find ones that support you. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonje01.html

How many games can you find that support your assertion that "he shot the Jazz out of just as many games as he helped win." Remember, we're not dealing with generalities here. If you're making this statement, surely you should be able to find some specific games that match the criteria you laid out. Where Jeff Malone shot a lot, shot poorly, and the Jazz lost. Because I haven't been able to find more than 2-3 games like that.

Ya, when you define an argument in the most meaninglessly subjective way possible, you can never be wrong. Congrats on being permanently right.

^Nice work.

Edit: I meant to point to the post above the post I'm pointing to... though I always love it when Siro steps off the Senate floor and shares an argument with us.

Statisticaly are there hot/cold streaks? I have heard otherwise. That just because a player makes or missed X number of shots they are not more likely to make or miss the next. Each shot is just following averages. So by that standard if a good shooter is missing shots in the game they should keep shooting the normal shots. I think I prefer shooters who stay confident in their shot and don't worry about missing a few in a row. Additionally if they stop shooting then the defense will know and start cheating away from their man making it harder on the team. I think a chucker is someone that shoots a low percentage (not just one game but overall) in high volume. I didn't really watch JM but stats wouldn't ever put him in the chucker category for me, even if he had off nights like all players do. I would guess this is a matter of personal dislike of a player. I dislike Korver a lot and would never want him on our team for being selfish for his record and hurting our playoff seed to get it. I could equally call him a chucker for shooting a bunch in games when he had too many misses and we lost but statistically he is not a chucker. He took the same shots when open and sometimes had bad games.

You are correct about some being confused about what a chucker is. And I was a witness to his playing as well and he was not a chucker - not even close.

I'm having a very hard time believing that he actually lives in a discount apartment near Kicky. It might just be a guy who looks like JM. He never seemed like the sort of knucklehead who would burn through millions and end life destitute, and learning that he has very successful relatives makes me think it's even more unlikely.

Maybe he ate his way to the poor house.

Just kidding, but man did he balloon in size in retirement.

So, this is going to sound like I'm taking the piss, but you should take some sort of a note of appreciation over to him. From the Jazzfanz. Or like a cake. Hell, I'd paypal you 25 bucks for something like that. It'd be nice to do something nice for a former Jazz great, as a community.

So, this is going to sound like I'm taking the piss, but you should take some sort of a note of appreciation over to him. From the Jazzfanz. Or like a cake. Hell, I'd paypal you 25 bucks for something like that. It'd be nice to do something nice for a former Jazz great, as a community.
I like this

You can paypal me the cash. I'd be happy to send him some virtual donuts.

IDK. He averaged 15 shots a game and made over 50% of his shots (career 48%). I'm not sure I'd call that chucking. If I have a shooting guard shooting at 50% I'd want him taking at least that many shots. Hayward takes the same number and shoots 44%. He may have had is off nights, but that's pretty solid.

Jeff Malone's game basically doesn't exist in the NBA anymore. He was a relatively high volume, high FG% midrange shooter. He didn't shoot threes and he barely got to the line given the number of possessions he chewed up. I'm not certain there would even be a place for him in today's league assuming he had the same skill set.

I'm having a very hard time believing that he actually lives in a discount apartment near Kicky. It might just be a guy who looks like JM. He never seemed like the sort of knucklehead who would burn through millions and end life destitute, and learning that he has very successful relatives makes me think it's even more unlikely.

Well, I'm not going to post his address for obvious reasons, but it isn't too difficult to figure out what it is. It's also not particularly difficult to figure out what the apartment complex charges for rent or, if you're local, have a sense just by looking at the cross-roads. If it helps, here's a picture of him coaching the local church kids at a church just down the street from me.

https://bridgeccc.com/2014/06/basketball/

And yeah, that's not just a look-a-like. The church names him and specifies he's a two-time NBA all-star. And yes, he is fat now.

Well, he doesn't really need a cake.

In my experience, these guys who have been out of the game always love it when you mention specific memories of them. Tom Chambers does local broadcasts here in Phoenix (he's sort of a Thurl Bailey equivalent in terms of role) and they broadcast right next to the arena. I told him one time that I was at the game where he scored his 20,000th point and he seemed to really appreciate it.

I have a similar Jeff Malone memory where he stole an inbounds pass and ran it back for a layup to win a game as time expired. I believe it was against the Sonics, but I'm not sure. One of the most memorable game endings I've ever seen even though I was a little kid.

Well, I'm not going to post his address for obvious reasons, but it isn't too difficult to figure out what it is. It's also not particularly difficult to figure out what the apartment complex charges for rent or, if you're local, have a sense just by looking at the cross-roads. If it helps, here's a picture of him coaching the local church kids at a church just down the street from me.

https://bridgeccc.com/2014/06/basketball/

And yeah, that's not just a look-a-like. The church names him and specifies he's a two-time NBA all-star. And yes, he is fat now.
You're damn right that's not a look-a-like. It doesn't look a thing like the Jeff Malone I used to know. He got fat and short, plus his legs and feet have disappeared. Was he photoshopped into that picture or is he a double amputee riding a hoverboard?
IMG_4333.jpg

JK.

He was a relatively high volume, high FG% midrange shooter. He didn't shoot threes and he barely got to the line given the number of possessions he chewed up.
Sounds like Alex English