What's new

Kanter and Burke have got to go

Watching the spurs bigs the past few games has made our passing deficiencies glaring to say the least.

my jaw dropped seeing tiago splitter slapping that assist to boris diaw inside automatically. up to what level can a good coach and a good team with good chemistry and system can get a player that does not promise much. kanter will never get to that level of passing if he lacks the IQ to learn to play as a team.

my jaw dropped seeing tiago splitter slapping that assist to boris diaw inside automatically. up to what level can a good coach and a good team with good chemistry and system can get a player that does not promise much. kanter will never get to that level of passing if he lacks the IQ to learn to play as a team.

Kanter would have pump faked, paused, dribbled, pump faked, and traveled... then looked back at the ref with that sad/frustrated face.

If Splitter is your starter, the Spurs will win about as many games as the Jazz did last season.

If Splitter is your starter, the Spurs will win about as many games as the Jazz did last season.

that's what I'm saying. you know the man. and yet you can get him in the flow. you don't need above average subs. you just make'em fill in pretty darn well enough to tire the opposition.

Besides a few clutch shots, I haven't seen many flashes of greatness in Burke. I don't seem him as the future. Kanter is a mixed bag, but I have seen flashes of greatness in him. He has grown a lot. I think he is a bigger gamble to let go.

Favors has improved, but I am unimpressed with him on both ends of the floor. He has the capability to be so much better on defense. I haven't seen the effort. I don't see a huge difference in his play from when he was in NJ (except a decline in defensive effort). His offense has improved, but not by much.

Hopefully a new coach can put a fire under everyone. I feel like Kanter has the most change to have a large improvement under Snyder. Hopefully he takes the opportunity and runs with it.

splitter is a starter and they are going to win the championship though right?

Watching the spurs bigs the past few games has made our passing deficiencies glaring to say the least.

YOu could say that about a lot of teams. The Spurs have bought into what Pop preaches and when they play like this they are unbeatable. They haven't just won the last two games they have crushed Miami.

I don't want to necessarily trade any of our core5 just to trade them. I certainly don't want to trade Kanter, Burke and #5 for the #2 pick. I think both Kanter and Burke will get better because the Jazz are FINALLY going to change the culture in Jazzland and teach their players how to play. They are going to have a real system and coaches who just don't run the same "crap" we have been running the last few years.

Hopefully, the Hayward experiment will be over soon. He needs to go back to being a spot up shooter and slasher instead of facilitating the offense. Jazz need to get the shooting coach Englleland (sp) and teach our guys how to shoot and Quin needs to have our players move the ball. Show them tape of how the Spurs play. Jazz need to draft Gordon at #5 and get another shooter via FA or move up in the draft.

Then get all these guys into camp and say this is the beginning of history in the making, do you want to be a part of history. Do you want to play defense? If you don't your butt will be on the bench..We were 30th in defense.. that means as a team we sucked. Everyone of you guys need to look in the mirror and realize you have to get better. So if you want to get better then get on board the Jazz train and lets work to put a championship banner up in the rafters. A banner that was stolen from this organization by Dick Bavetta, M%$&#^^%@$#F%#^$*%(%k.. Now lets kick some butt. We are Marshall. We are the Titans..we are Hoosiers..WE are the UTAH JAZZ.....:mad::)

Man I am so tired of waiting for the draft. NBA needs to move up the date of the draft. I am ready for summer league.. let the season get started.

For the record:
I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong. Perhaps a coaching/system change will unlock something in Kanter. Perhaps Snyder will figure out how to more fully realize Trey's gifts.

I can understand the decision to gamble on Kanter. I can understand waiting on Trey (given the value of his being on a rookie contract and fairly talented).

You do realize that these guys have been playing together for a while and that the Spurs have played this way forever. The Spurs get it. They understand that you win championship by playing as a team. Their stars get it. Duncan had 10 pts last night and he doesn't care because they won. They were cheering on the second unit.

When you have a young team, you first have to play them together, then you have to make adjustments and mold your players into their roles. Young guys are too worried about getting their own and getting the next contract so the coach needs to remind guys what the mission is. I know Corbin didn't really have his own vision and Jerry was living off years and mailing it in the last few years. So guys were kind of running around doing their thing with not the right mind set. It has been a long time even before Corbin that the Jazz seemed resigned to just making the playoffs without and real vision. For me this was the most frustrating thing.

What I am most excited about is having a coach who is known for developing players, meaning actually coaching and developing players. Yes Quin has a lot to prove but I think he and DL are on the same page and have a vision of what they want to accomplish. However, miracles don't just happen overnight when you get a new coach, the Spurs are great because everyone in the organization buys into what they are trying to accomplish.

People just have to be patient because the Spurs just didn't happen over night. Yes it greatly helped getting Duncan but they have made a ton of great moves and have been able to sustain a championship level team for over a decade. That's is what the Jazz are trying to do but it may take several years before we see the final result. If it doesn't happen at least the Jazz are trying to do something beside just making the playoffs.

Last edited:
YOu could say that about a lot of teams. The Spurs have bought into what Pop preaches and when they play like this they are unbeatable. They haven't just won the last two games they have crushed Miami.

I don't want to necessarily trade any of our core5 just to trade them. I certainly don't want to trade Kanter, Burke and #5 for the #2 pick. I think both Kanter and Burke will get better because the Jazz are FINALLY going to change the culture in Jazzland and teach their players how to play. They are going to have a real system and coaches who just don't run the same "crap" we have been running the last few years.

Hopefully, the Hayward experiment will be over soon. He needs to go back to being a spot up shooter and slasher instead of facilitating the offense. Jazz need to get the shooting coach Englleland (sp) and teach our guys how to shoot and Quin needs to have our players move the ball. Show them tape of how the Spurs play. Jazz need to draft Gordon at #5 and get another shooter via FA or move up in the draft.

Then get all these guys into camp and say this is the beginning of history in the making, do you want to be a part of history. Do you want to play defense? If you don't your butt will be on the bench..We were 30th in defense.. that means as a team we sucked. Everyone of you guys need to look in the mirror and realize you have to get better. So if you want to get better then get on board the Jazz train and lets work to put a championship banner up in the rafters. A banner that was stolen from this organization by Dick Bavetta, M%$&#^^%@$#F%#^$*%(%k.. Now lets kick some butt. We are Marshall. We are the Titans..we are Hoosiers..WE are the UTAH JAZZ.....:mad::)

Man I am so tired of waiting for the draft. NBA needs to move up the date of the draft. I am ready for summer league.. let the season get started.

I read a transcript of a Snyder interview and he was asked about how to improve the defense. He touched on challenging guys and if they don't play on that end they don't play.

The spurs have shown that you can win with average to above average players at all positions and depth. They play a team game with everyone spreading the wealth.

No true "superstar"

I for one am glad for that since it is very unlikely we will ever have the lebron amd kobes of the nba here in utah.

Also the mavericks gave the spurs the toughest test and they play much the same way. (Alot of players getting involved and no one true superstar since dirk is too old to be considered a superstar anymore imo)

The spurs have shown that you can win with average to above average players at all positions and depth. They play a team game with everyone spreading the wealth.

No true "superstar"

I for one am glad for that since it is very unlikely we will ever have the lebron amd kobes of the nba here in utah.

Also the mavericks gave the spurs the toughest test and they play much the same way. (Alot of players getting involved and no one true superstar since dirk is too old to be considered a superstar anymore imo)

Yeah all the talk of a go to, #1 option being a must, but in all honesty I just don't see the Jazz ever being successful that way. The key is to have a group of guys that mesh well in a system that allows them to play to their strengths.

The one good thing about passing is that I think it's the most "trickle down" skill of all. If your best players are good passers, and the system is good, everyone else will become a better passer if they buy in. It is a very teachable skill to at least to be an above average passer at your position.

The **** that worries me about Kanter is that it's his contract year. He might come into camp in incredible shape and have a great year, then next year come back and we learn he ate 100 lbs of Turkish food a day again. He has shown up out of shape 2 of his 3 years here so far. We also know that he doesn't think defense is that important, thanks to Richard Jefferson (shout-out for his biggest contribution of the year on that one).

No true "superstar"

Yeah, but they do have a former superstar, so they aren't completely devoid of super-star talent. The talent and mind is still there for Duncan, just not the movement capabilities.

And like people have said, we will probably never see a team like the Spurs again, just like we will never see a Stockton/Malone/Sloan system again. Those kind of things are just as unique as a Lebron-type player.

We still have to chase that model, just like Popovich has stated he used Sloan's system as inspiration as his, but it will never be the same. Jazz got to build the New Jazz Model as inspired by Spurs/Old Jazz.

The Spurs are fun to watch. An oasis in a league of otherwise selfish, star-focused basketball. The Jazz used to be that way. Jazz basketball used to be unique. It was fundamentals on both ends of the court. And they won with a few great players and a mediocre supporting cast that bought into a system.

It doesn't matter who we put on the court if we can't get them to buy into playing good basketball. Hopefully Snyder can turn it around. I feel like they have good pieces on this team that need to jell. Hopefully they don't blow things up before we can find out.

The Spurs are fun to watch. An oasis in a league of otherwise selfish, star-focused basketball. The Jazz used to be that way. Jazz basketball used to be unique. It was fundamentals on both ends of the court. And they won with a few great players and a mediocre supporting cast that bought into a system.

It doesn't matter who we put on the court if we can't get them to buy into playing good basketball. Hopefully Snyder can turn it around. I feel like they have good pieces on this team that need to jell. Hopefully they don't blow things up before we can find out.

You make it sound like it is easy to do it though. Like all players have to do is just pass the ball. You have to your core players play together for years, close to a decade, to achieve that kind of fluidity.

Yeah, but they do have a former superstar, so they aren't completely devoid of super-star talent. The talent and mind is still there for Duncan, just not the movement capabilities.

And like people have said, we will probably never see a team like the Spurs again, just like we will never see a Stockton/Malone/Sloan system again. Those kind of things are just as unique as a Lebron-type player.

We still have to chase that model, just like Popovich has stated he used Sloan's system as inspiration as his, but it will never be the same. Jazz got to build the New Jazz Model as inspired by Spurs/Old Jazz.

While Duncan plays at a much higher level than you would expect he's is no longer a superstar. Parker and Ginobili are both a step to several steps slower. IMO Leonard is closer to being a superstar at this stage than Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili.

The Mavericks and Spurs are held together by elite talent light years ahead of anything the Jazz currently have.