What's new

Kanter and Burke have got to go

While Duncan plays at a much higher level than you would expect he's is no longer a superstar. Parker and Ginobili are both a step to several steps slower. IMO Leonard is closer to being a superstar at this stage than Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili.

Dude, Leonard had two really good games in the series, but he isn't better than Parker/Ginobili/Duncan. Please look past the last 4 days.

Like I said, Duncan is no longer a super-star athletically, but he still brings the super-star mindest, IQ, and intangibles that only a player who has been arguably the best player at his position for more than a decade can bring.

Dude, Leonard had two really good games in the series, but he isn't better than Parker/Ginobili/Duncan. Please look past the last 4 days.

Like I said, Duncan is no longer a super-star athletically, but he still brings the super-star mindest, IQ, and intangibles that only a player who has been arguably the best player at his position for more than a decade can bring.

Well I been claiming Leonard as a future #1 for a while now. His two games has no bearing on my opinion. Pops seems to believe in Kawhi as well. Not to say Kawhi is better than Parker or Duncan(I think he has passed Ginobili), just that he's just about to turn 23 and only been in the league 3 years. I think my comment was more about Leonard being on the upswing than him being better than the other core members.

I read a transcript of a Snyder interview and he was asked about how to improve the defense. He touched on challenging guys and if they don't play on that end they don't play.

If this is true, Snyder would be benching the entire team...

In regards to the Spurs, they don't just pass the ball well, the move the ball. Hayward is the only ball mover we have and Ty certainly didn't use him correctly. I've heard Quin talk about ball movement twice in interviews and if he can install ball movement, we will be a better team and funner to watch. I seriously doubt we will move Burke this summer. Kanter, however, is a valuable trade chip and it would take a lot of guts to move him. If we draft Vonleh or get a big man vet, Kanter may be shopped eventually.

You make it sound like it is easy to do it though. Like all players have to do is just pass the ball. You have to your core players play together for years, close to a decade, to achieve that kind of fluidity.

While not easy, initial results should show early if people buy in. I'm not saying they need to have the Spurs level of efficiency from day one. Yes it takes time, but hell, look at how efficient our young team with really nobody played in 04-05. If our current roster could play fundamental team ball like that we'd be in the playoffs for sure.

Didja know the core 5 all averaged over 15 pts a game when they started those last five games or so? Just need some bench depth (from the draft) and some experience with a coach.

Kanter will develop, and be damn good. Makes no sense to just let him go. Unless we are talking about acquiring franchise talent through a package of him and other assets, the suggestion is ridiculous. If we don't offer him, or he doesn't accept before this season, we still have the whole 14-15 season to evaluate him before simply "cutting our losses." If we decide he is 100% wrong for us, he could still develop more trade value before the deadline. Right now, his value in the market doesn't come close to reflecting his talent. You don't buy high to sell low.

I don't like Burke, and think his ceiling is low, and his weaknesses are big detriments to our team, but even I wouldn't say you cut your losses yet. If there is a good trade involving him, you make it. But if there isn't, you keep your asset and see what he becomes. Three more seasons until he has to be paid.

This has to be the most irrational thread ever.

Kanter would have pump faked, paused, dribbled, pump faked, and traveled... then looked back at the ref with that sad/frustrated face.

Well you should have seen Tiago when he first came to the Spurs. Dude was horrible. He traveled and got in foul trouble. Seriously some of you guys should take a vacation for three or four years and then come back and complain about guys like Kanter/Burke etc. You guys do remember that Stockton didn't play that much when he first started in the league and Malone average 14 pts and shot 48 percent from the FT line as a rookie.

Burke is not the answer but if you don't draft a point guard heza keeper .Neto comes over and takes his job.Kanter seems hated by a lot of posters and serves its purpose for this thread.Im telling you that Kanter will be the best player on the team next year,so I totally disagree with all the Kanter hate.

Burke is not the answer but if you don't draft a point guard heza keeper .Neto comes over and takes his job.Kanter seems hated by a lot of posters and serves its purpose for this thread.Im telling you that Kanter will be the best player on the team next year,so I totally disagree with all the Kanter hate.

So Burke hate legit. Kanter hate illlegit?

Kanter will develop, and be damn good. Makes no sense to just let him go. Unless we are talking about acquiring franchise talent through a package of him and other assets, the suggestion is ridiculous. If we don't offer him, or he doesn't accept before this season, we still have the whole 14-15 season to evaluate him before simply "cutting our losses." If we decide he is 100% wrong for us, he could still develop more trade value before the deadline. Right now, his value in the market doesn't come close to reflecting his talent. You don't buy high to sell low.

I don't like Burke, and think his ceiling is low, and his weaknesses are big detriments to our team, but even I wouldn't say you cut your losses yet. If there is a good trade involving him, you make it. But if there isn't, you keep your asset and see what he becomes. Three more seasons until he has to be paid.

This has to be the most irrational thread ever.
I dont believe in the premise of the thread, but the discussion has been great. Cowhide has been "killing it" as is said in these parts...

Spurs would be hopeless this series without Diaw. Dude is absolutely destroying the heat. Having two-passing big-men is a complete matchup-nightmare, and it's totally opened my eyes as to what our team needs offensively.

Spurs would be hopeless this series without Diaw. Dude is absolutely destroying the heat. Having two-passing big-men is a complete matchup-nightmare, and it's totally opened my eyes as to what our team needs offensively.

Millsap gone for nothing.

^if that didn't break hearts when it happened, then it's gotta be breaking hearts now. Especially since we tanked for #5 in a 3 man draft.

I saw Kanter pass once...

Well, it might have been stolen or fumbled out of his hands and landed where a teammate was standing. So... Yeah...

So are you endorsing Gordon at this point?

Or maybe Slow Mo Anderson, if we are able to upgrade our #23 and get into thenteens? Cuz slo mo reminds me a lot of Diaw.

^ I like unique athletes with unique skill-sets. I'd definitely draft the point-forward out of UCLA @ 23, pending he isn't as bad defensively as it seems like he is.

I kinda wish Royce White wasn't insane. It would have been so fun watching him play.

Anderson at #23 is interesting.
He has elite ball handling, passing, and shooting skills for a 6' 9"player.
That may compensate for his lack of quickness.

^ I like unique athletes with unique skill-sets. I'd definitely draft the point-forward out of UCLA @ 23, pending he isn't as bad defensively as it seems like he is.

I kinda wish Royce White wasn't insane. It would have been so fun watching him play.

Slow Mo at 23 would be the steal of the century.

I think we will have to trade up a few spots to get him.

Draft x has him at 25. Nbadraft has him at 15.

Why not see about trading our 23 and 2nd rounder to move up a few spots and ensure that we get him?

Well you should have seen Tiago when he first came to the Spurs. Dude was horrible. He traveled and got in foul trouble. Seriously some of you guys should take a vacation for three or four years and then come back and complain about guys like Kanter/Burke etc. You guys do remember that Stockton didn't play that much when he first started in the league and Malone average 14 pts and shot 48 percent from the FT line as a rookie.

Been following the league for a while now so I did see Tiago's rookie year. It wasn't pretty, but he was always a good defender and quite frankly that is where his value has always been. Now he's a good passer too, but my problem is there are some things that may not get much better with time. Kanter doesn't see the floor well and has bad instincts. I have no doubt he'll get better, I just think his ceiling is much lower than others do.

I like Burke... He'll always be a bit limited, but he is one of the most clutch players in the league (check out the numbers and it's pretty neat) and he runs the team with few mistakes. I could see him as the starting point guard on a championship team.