What's new

Kanter traded to OKC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told everyone before we drafted Kanter that he would not be a good center for us. Power forward maybe, but center no way.

Favors had to play center when he wanted to play power forward...problem solved with Rudy instead of Kanter.

Sure I wanted more back in the trading of Kanter, but if Kanter started being a bad attitude player for us it would have decreased his trade value even more. It is the pits that we got so little trade value back for one of the greatest players of his generation. Wink.

Glad he is gone!

Down goes Enes, up goes Rudy

https://instagram.com/p/zV3Q5xBrsZ/

B-Uk1p3CMAATfkl.jpg

B-U0-4gCEAAlztV.jpg

Last edited:
This is all just a ploy to get a few assets from OKC and help our tank. The Jazz will offer Kanter a max deal in free agency.

To add to Stoked's post:

Would it have been a bad decision if Kanter was traded sooner, but actually had potential to blow up?

The added analytics in the front office is to find players from the D league, draft and other places that can fill any sort of role on this team in the future. Ingles was a good find, Millsap was as well. They are solid rotation players that underscore the value of having a solid analytics department.

Also, when were the Jazz supposed to trade him?

After he hurt his shoulder and started off slow and weak last year (and his confidence tanked under Corbin), or this offseason when he was recovering from knee surgery, or earlier in the year when he played okay (good - not great) but the team was struggling with a new coach and system?

His injuries concerned me about investing long term way more than his defensive, passing and IQ failings. You can find a place and a role for a big who can score and rebound (and they're often overpaid), but if they can't play due to injuries - there's a huge hole in your roster, lineup and salary cap.

I'd have liked more, but it wasn't there. Oh well. Hopefully the pick turns out better than it looks right now. 3 years can change a lot.

Anyone arguing that Utah should have traded Kanter a month sooner is nutty. His trade value was hindered by his contract status. Kanter's potential value always depended on getting him signed to a reasonable contract. That possibility was all but eliminated by the trade request. Bad situation, but keeping a disgruntled player and continuing to start him over the REAL starter would not have been good, and probably would have ended with Enes taking the QO, which means his value would not have increased from where it is now.
-
Also, for those people who are mad Utah didn't make a move to improve the team immediately, I've been warning you to expect any deadline trade to be future-minded. The good news is that DL has hinted that the tank ends this year.

Last edited:
Anyone arguing that Utah should have traded Kanter a month sooner is nutty. His trade value was hindered by his contract status. Kanter's potential value always depended on getting him signed to a reasonable contract. That possibility was all but eliminated by the trade request. Bad situation, but keeping a disgruntled player and continuing to start him over the REAL starter would not have been good, and probably would have ended with Enes taking the QO, which means his value would not have increased from where it is now.
-
Also, for those people who are mad Utah didn't make a move to improve the team immediately, I've been warning you to expect any deadline trade to be future-minded. The good news is that DL has hinted that the tank ends this year.

We have our core: Exum, Hayward, Favors, Gobert, draft pick, and cap space.
We have a solid bench: Burke, Burks, Booker.

Now we build. We need another 3&D guy: Matthews/Carroll/Middleton. We need another big: our draft pick. We could use a vet PG. Maybe someone like Andre Miller to teach our kids how to practice/win/etc.

We will contend for the playoffs next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.