What's new

Legal marijuana - good or bad? Any personal experience?

I’m not for legalizing it. Worse, I really oppose the medical push. If people want to push for it being legal, fine, but I hate when it masquerades as a medical issue or when it’s sold as a panacea. Or even worse, the idea that it should be legalized to replace people’s opioids, when in reality they’d use it as a supplement to their opioids.
stfu

Fighting weed is a losing battle. It's absolutely bizarre alcohol is legal and weed isn't. The US incarcerates close to half the world's incarcerated population (if I remember correctly.) Sending people to jail or prison for petty weed crimes will all be over in 20 years.

It has its place medicinally.

It has its place recreationallly.

There are definite pros to it.

There are definite cons to it (I say this from experience.)

I’m not for legalizing it. Worse, I really oppose the medical push. If people want to push for it being legal, fine, but I hate when it masquerades as a medical issue or when it’s sold as a panacea. Or even worse, the idea that it should be legalized to replace people’s opioids, when in reality they’d use it as a supplement to their opioids.
That is not what the data shows.

That quantity of second hand smoking? Smelling a few particles of weed from across the street won't give you lung cancer...

I normally smoke 7 or 8 meters from the building basically standing on the curb, I love when douchebags walk past and suddenly develop a cough, passive aggressive bastards, I always do my best to smile or laugh

So Canada is about to legalise marijuana. I was reading some articles on Colorado and Washington experience... not sure what to believe - some say it was great for economy, some say it is devastating those states. What is your opinion?
I never smoked pot in my life and not planning to do so, but must admit when neighbours were smoking and stinking my backyard and even house it was very irritating.

I live in Las Vegas Nevada, where it was just legalized. Do I smoke pot? = No. Did I vote to legalize pot? = Yes.
There are still laws in place that go with its legalization and I have always felt that if people use it for what it is intended for there is not a problem. I think that there are great benefits to it that I have seen first hand with friends and families that suffer from illnesses and arthritis and have seen that it is a healthier alternative to pain medications.
The problem is, people don't use it correctly. Even in Vegas, you are not allowed to smoke it walking down the street, hanging out outside of a grocery store, etc. But people do, all the time. I see, smell and interact with people that use it improperly everyday. It doesn't bother me when it's just me or me and my wife. It bothers me when I have my 6 year old daughter with me and now I have to explain to her (5 years before I thought I would have to explain it to her) why some people in this world are idiots and scumbags. And not because they smoke weed, but how, when and where they choose to smoke week.
Does it help people? Yes
Will idiots abuse it? Of course. Idiots will turn all positives into a negative not just for themselves but for everybody.

Reactions: MVP

I have my hesitations and get your points but this seems overly cynical and misinformed. There are many people out there who can’t function normally without it. Period. Other prescribed drugs have too many bad side effects and mj is the only thing that helps stabilize them per se and offers them the chance at a normal life.

I live in Las Vegas Nevada, where it was just legalized. Do I smoke pot? = No. Did I vote to legalize pot? = Yes.
There are still laws in place that go with its legalization and I have always felt that if people use it for what it is intended for there is not a problem. I think that there are great benefits to it that I have seen first hand with friends and families that suffer from illnesses and arthritis and have seen that it is a healthier alternative to pain medications.
The problem is, people don't use it correctly. Even in Vegas, you are not allowed to smoke it walking down the street, hanging out outside of a grocery store, etc. But people do, all the time. I see, smell and interact with people that use it improperly everyday. It doesn't bother me when it's just me or me and my wife. It bothers me when I have my 6 year old daughter with me and now I have to explain to her (5 years before I thought I would have to explain it to her) why some people in this world are idiots and scumbags. And not because they smoke weed, but how, when and where they choose to smoke week.
Does it help people? Yes
Will idiots abuse it? Of course. Idiots will turn all positives into a negative not just for themselves but for everybody.
Why can't people smoke outside?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/marijuana-treatment-reduces-severe-epileptic-seizures/

The above is probably the most dramatic example of how one of weed's active ingredients, cannabidiol (CBD), has medicinal value.

A member of my extended family had Huntington's Disease. As the symptoms of that always fatal disease grow worse, angry outbursts become a real problem, something that is hard for other family members/loved ones to live with. Eventually, he made the decision to enter hospice, but, before he did, he obtained a medical marijuana license and he smoked weed daily, because it simply improved his mood. He was easier to be around. He was happier, and if you've ever known anyone with Huntington's, who can really argue with that?

I normally smoke 7 or 8 meters from the building basically standing on the curb, I love when douchebags walk past and suddenly develop a cough, passive aggressive bastards, I always do my best to smile or laugh

Some of us douchebags have lung diseases and actually can't help the cough when we breathe in cigarette smoke. I try to be somewhat discreet about the coughing and not be a jerk about it, especially if people are following the rules. But yeah, I'm sure there are other douchebags as well.

My disabled parking spot at work is right next to the area they have designated for smokers. It would make me laugh if I wasn't coughing. :)
As far as legalizing marijuana goes, I am not sure what to think. I am all for medical marijuana use, and I may be tempted to try it at some point. It would probably help with pain as my illness continues. But I can't decide about recreational marijuana. I have never used it and can only go by others' opinions about it. And those opinions are all over the map, so it is hard to determine what is true.

Last edited:
That is not what the data shows.
Regarding people decreasing opioid use or regarding medicinal value?
I have my hesitations and get your points but this seems overly cynical and misinformed. There are many people out there who can’t function normally without it. Period. Other prescribed drugs have too many bad side effects and mj is the only thing that helps stabilize them per se and offers them the chance at a normal life.
It's not a black-and-white issue. There's decent evidence of some benefit for some things such as neuropathic pain, but there are many drugs that are not approved by the FDA that have benefit, too, but nobody is worked up on those. Imagine if Tylenol were somehow discontinued tomorrow. Despite it's wide use, I doubt you'd see as large of an uproar. I think the argument defaults to the moral argument: many people view it as wrong and so they oppose it, while other people are so turned off by people opposing it for moral reasons that they support it harder as if it now has a greater medicinal value because of its opposition.

I'm really not on either side of that argument, and I think hearing that someone opposes a lot of the specifics on medical application, that it ruffles a lot of feathers by mere fact that any opposition is associated with everyone who's making a moral stand.

In any case, my argument is on the idea that people would consume less opioids with the legalization is wishful thinking. There may be some reduction, but people really overestimate how easy it is for people to give up their opioids, even the vast majority of people who "aren't abusing them."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/marijuana-treatment-reduces-severe-epileptic-seizures/

The above is probably the most dramatic example of how one of weed's active ingredients, cannabidiol (CBD), has medicinal value.

A member of my extended family had Huntington's Disease. As the symptoms of that always fatal disease grow worse, angry outbursts become a real problem, something that is hard for other family members/loved ones to live with. Eventually, he made the decision to enter hospice, but, before he did, he obtained a medical marijuana license and he smoked weed daily, because it simply improved his mood. He was easier to be around. He was happier, and if you've ever known anyone with Huntington's, who can really argue with that?
Right, I'm not saying there isn't value, but I think the value can be overstated (that's not to say that there aren't situations in which there is even a significant amount of benefit), just as the value of medical care in general can be overstated, or the value of many drugs on the market that are very common but don't actually contribute much to improved outcomes, or the value for essential oils -- there's benefit to all of the above (but what that benefit is, how significant it is, and what its application is are totally different discussions).

Huntington's is a perfect example: it's incredibly rare. A lot of the big pushes for medicinal value cite examples of incredibly rare scenarios, with the resulting legislative agenda being a much different application.

Anyway, my beef is that because of marijuana's place and perception in society, it has elevated its debate on its effectiveness to such a level that is significantly out of proportion with its application and benefits, but I don't think that's a very real discussion that's able to be had because it too easily falls back on a moral dichotomy.

The lulz of you thinking that's what he said.
Can you read? Because he definitely said that.

"Anyway, my beef is that because of marijuana's place and perception in society, it has elevated its debate on its effectiveness to such a level that is significantly out of proportion with its application and benefits, but I don't think that's a very real discussion that's able to be had because it too easily falls back on a moral dichotomy."

That paragraph is essentially him calling it overvalued.

Anyone who is against legalizing marijuana is a clown. You may not like it, but people shouldnt be able to regulate people's personal choices to such a far reaching extent. If someone wants to use it for medical purposes and they think it helps them, then who is anyone to call it overvalued? If that person thinks it helps them get through their day, that value is solely up to them.

Can you read? Because he definitely said that.

"Anyway, my beef is that because of marijuana's place and perception in society, it has elevated its debate on its effectiveness to such a level that is significantly out of proportion with its application and benefits, but I don't think that's a very real discussion that's able to be had because it too easily falls back on a moral dichotomy."

That paragraph is essentially him calling it overvalued.
I think he is saying that the debate is out of proportion with the issue and that the medical benefits are being blown out of proportion in order to justify legalization and wide spread use. To listen to the pro-marajuana community this is some sort of wonder drug and the world would be changed for the better if only it was more readily available and more widely used. IMO most people are better off without pot, even though there are some people who it could/does benefit.

I'm not at all surprised that pot smokers don't agree with this thinking. I wouldn't have agreed with it back when I smoked pot. In retrospect, quitting was a very good decision for me.