What's new

Let’s talk about fours

Right now they have six guards with guaranteed contracts. De Andre Jordan wants out so basically they are going to have to move some players before the season starts. There might be a player in the mix the Jazz could use. It sounds like no player is an untouchable.
I’d like Beverley but I don’t see any incentive for them to move him.

If course, we could always offer the $500k.

Right now they have six guards with guaranteed contracts. De Andre Jordan wants out so basically they are going to have to move some players before the season starts. There might be a player in the mix the Jazz could use. It sounds like no player is an untouchable.
Besides that I don't care for anyone on their entire roster besides Harris (who we could just realistically grab in the offseason) and Beverly, why are they trying to offload money? They're not over the tax and they are nowhere near creating max space.

*runs some numbers*

So...

If Jordan opts out, if they were to jettison Harris without bringing salary back, not pick up Beverley's option (or pick it up and send it without bringing money back), they're at ~$70 million, which will be just enough for a max slot.

If Jordan opts in (I think he should), they're just kinda hosed, and moving money doesn't really do anything for them as a basketball team.

Would they really think of sending Harris (and Beverly) out? We could easily create the space.

Would they really think of sending Harris (and Beverly) out? We could easily create the space.
Upgrading Favors to Harris and Neto to Beverley is executive of the year material.

Maybe we could sell them on Exum and do a S&T.

I think they feel they may have a shot at LBJ, PG or both.
If the whole thing is some superstars want to get together in a warm major market and win rings, are the Lakers actually preferable to the Clippers? That **** with the Balls is some serious non-sense, and while their ownership and FO seem to have settled in to something not-embarrassing, I'm not sure how that trumps the Clippers' situation if they create the space.

The Lakers definitely have an edge having Ingram and Kuzma on cheap deals at the moment, but the Clippers have Lou on an insanely good deal as well (although that is pretty much it).

Upgrading Favors to Harris and Neto to Beverley is executive of the year material.

Maybe we could sell them on Exum and do a S&T.
The whole point for them in that situation would be clearing salary, so they couldn't really take anything back.

I would also chase Aaron Gordon. He could be the ideal fit.

If we strike out I would look at sign and trading Favors for Jabari. Win win for both teams.

I'd rather just keep Favors or lose him for nothing. Jabari is going to be a bust and is going to eat cap space. Too big of a risk.

I have always been a big fan of Randle. Does he fit well next to Gobert? Not really, but he is a very valuable player if we were to go small.

If you were to give me the option of starting Randle at C or Favors at C, I would go with Randle. He is a mismatch nightmare because of his speed, athleticism and ability to handle the ball. If he played with better teammates and a better coach, I think he would resemble Draymond when Draymond plays the 5. Randle is the type of guy who will be a pro for 10-12 years because he does the little things and he plays his butt off.

If you gave me Favors for 2 years and $22-25 million or Randle for 4 years and $40-45, I would pick Randle all day.
Draymond is a great defender, Randle has never shown the desire to even try on that end of the floor. If you play Randle at C you are giving up about 160 PPP. I'd take Favors on this squad over Randle even if Favors costs far more, which he won't. Randle doesn't give the team what they need instead of Favors and doesn't give you what Favors does, Defense.

I'd rather just keep Favors or lose him for nothing. Jabari is going to be a bust and is going to eat cap space. Too big of a risk.
There is a chance he has another major injury but I think that is a risk for any of player, his is just slightly higher possibly. He wont and isnt a bust if healthy. He had some solid games in the playoffs and still wasnt all the way recovered from ACL surgery. But I understand that some people dont like the injury history and dont want to take that risk. His athletic ability looked back to what it was pre injury towards the end of the year and I think he will be just fine there. He showed the ability to play decent defense in game 5 against Boston.

He is what Snyder wants at the 4. A playmaker, shooter and good size/athleticism.

Would anyone renounce Favors and Exum to absorb Harris?

I don't know if we necessarily have to renounce Exum. If we renounce Favors, Thabo, Jerekbo, Udoh and Neto, we are at $20.5 million plus Exum's cap hold. If we re-sign Exum during the moratorium to $5.7 or less, we would have the space to just absorb the $14.8 Tobias Harris is owed next year. If we re-signed Exum to around $8 million, we could trade Bradley for Harris.

There is a chance he has another major injury but I think that is a risk for any of player, his is just slightly higher possibly. He wont and isnt a bust if healthy. He had some solid games in the playoffs and still wasnt all the way recovered from ACL surgery. But I understand that some people dont like the injury history and dont want to take that risk. His athletic ability looked back to what it was pre injury towards the end of the year and I think he will be just fine there. He showed the ability to play decent defense in game 5 against Boston.

He is what Snyder wants at the 4. A playmaker, shooter and good size/athleticism.
But are you giving him a max contract? For that Risk and some serious questions I have about his actual ability, and defense I think it's just too big of a risk. I'd not touch him. If they got him then great I'd be a fan and hope my skepticism is misplaced, But I'm very wary about how much he's worth and if he'll ever be worth a max contract.

But are you giving him a max contract? For that Risk and some serious questions I have about his actual ability, and defense I think it's just too big of a risk. I'd not touch him. If they got him then great I'd be a fan and hope my skepticism is misplaced, But I'm very wary about how much he's worth and if he'll ever be worth a max contract.
No, I would not pay him max nor do I think he will get the max.

But we are going to be operating over the salary cap after 2019 and especially if we pick up a player like this or someone else. So the difference between paying him 15 or 25 million is just the Jazz owners. It wont hurt us cap wise and he will be coming off the books in 4 years. We have Mitchell under the rookie salary. So when Mitchell needs a raise he would be a FA.

Personally I think he is going to get around 15-20 million and I think that is well worth it. But I could be very wrong on the amount.

Why don’t we just use Ingles at the 4. He has the size and he can rebound. Then move O’Neal to the starting line up. That fixes most issues. My first preference however is to keep favors. Much rather him be playing for us rather than against us. He’s a beast.

Why don’t we just use Ingles at the 4. He has the size and he can rebound.

We should definitely do more of this. If Favors leaves, we could use Crowder, Ingles, Jerekbo and O'Neale at the 4. We need more depth, but I'm fine with that mix at 4.

No, I would not pay him max nor do I think he will get the max.

But we are going to be operating over the salary cap after 2019 and especially if we pick up a player like this or someone else. So the difference between paying him 15 or 25 million is just the Jazz owners. It wont hurt us cap wise and he will be coming off the books in 4 years. We have Mitchell under the rookie salary. So when Mitchell needs a raise he would be a FA.

Personally I think he is going to get around 15-20 million and I think that is well worth it. But I could be very wrong on the amount.
I'd rather pay Favors 12-15 Than Parker 15-20, I'm just not sold on his fit, or injury history.

Im gonna be happy if we end up with one of these top tier players in free agency.

In this order..

Obviously, but not realistic.

1. Lebron
2. George
3. Aaron Gordon (probably less realistic than George)

More realistically..
4. Parker
5. Derrick Favors
6. Julius Randle

Not top tier, but happy about it.
7. Mario Hezonja

Not super happy about it, but would take it if all the others fall through.
8. Michael Beasley
9. Nemanja Bjelica

These are with the hope we and assumption we retain Exum too.

Randle isnt my first choice, but Id be really excited if thats who we end up with. We at least have to get him if all the other top tier players fall through. I dont want to pin my hopes on next year's free agency. Its too big of a gamble to pass this year if there is a real opportunity to get one of these guys.

This is what I mean by we have to at least give Randle a look. If our first choices dont come through then he is a pretty good consolation prize.