What's new

Let’s talk about fours

Randle gets a lot of baskets close to the basket because he is incredible in fast breaks. He also attacks the basket in sets. He isn't the perfect fit next to Gobert, but wow, if he could improve on his 22% 3p%....

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Somebody explain something to me. Much of the reasoning last night about why Gobert deserved the DPOY were the stats about how awful we were without him and how amazing we were with him. The defensive statistics with and without are staggering.

So with that being said, why are we so intent on keeping Favors? We know he can't spread the floor and its obvious our team isn't as good with him as the anchor. Are we really going to bring him back because he is a great guy and pretty good all around?

Somebody explain something to me. Much of the reasoning last night about why Gobert deserved the DPOY were the stats about how awful we were without him and how amazing we were with him. The defensive statistics with and without are staggering.

So with that being said, why are we so intent on keeping Favors? We know he can't spread the floor and its obvious our team isn't as good with him as the anchor. Are we really going to bring him back because he is a great guy and pretty good all around?

Sentiment. People like Favors and he is a good dude. Also, there isn't really great stretch 4 option out there without a trade. PLus he is useful as a backup 5.

There doesn't seem to be enough talk about Jerami Grant and Hezonja. I think we will have a real chance to add one or both of these guys.

It's a long story imo... but the TLDR version is sufficient. Our defense is built around what Rudy does... Favs isn't as good at doing what he does and would do better in switching schemes. He's a good defender individually and much like the offensive side of the ball... we don't necessarily use him to his strengths all the time.

If it is Randle versus Favs... I choose Favs all day. If we got Favs on a LT deal at low money it could be a valuable trade asset. I think he comes back on a one year deal and I'm fine with it.

You can almost rest assured that the Jazz will be back next year with primarily the same team that they had this year.

Thabo's date will be the tell... if he pushes his date back or if the Jazz decline his option then they may poke around the market a bit... if they pick up the option we basically can't clear space or do anything fancy... so it will be essentially running things back.

Neto is the first (6/29) and Thabo (7/1) is the 2nd and main sign of ambition. If we pick up their options, we send a clear sign that we aren't actually pursuing Paul George or any substantial free agent. If we decline their options, we can do a whole bunch of research on what we actually have available.

I think we will know the future of both Favors and Exum before we have to decide on Udoh and Jerekbo on July 9.

Neto is the first (6/29) and Thabo (7/1) is the 2nd and main sign of ambition. If we pick up their options, we send a clear sign that we aren't actually pursuing Paul George or any substantial free agent. If we decline their options, we can do a whole bunch of research on what we actually have available.

I think we will know the future of both Favors and Exum before we have to decide on Udoh and Jerekbo on July 9.

Neto is just a QO and it is small... not a sign of anything and not much more than a FA caphold would be.

Neto is just a QO and it is small... not a sign of anything and not much more than a FA caphold would be.

It's a $1.84 million cap hold. It's not massive, but it is something. You add that to Thabo ($5.25), Jerekbo ($4.2) and Udoh ($3.6), and you've got $15 million for guys who probably don't see the floor in the playoffs if we are completely healthy.

It's a sign they want to keep him. If they don't, they would just make him a UFA to help him out.

They will 100% keep the caphold (i misspoke earlier) and waive it when they need to.

DL wants Neto back and has been clear about it... he was at the awards thing too.

The nuclear FA winter is here... big guys will get paid. Others gonna get left out in the cold.

The Duncan mock offseason was telling (although they are overly conservative). For Favors it all really comes down to Dallas. If they go a different direction it’s ugly.

Gonna be some bargains out there.

The nuclear FA winter is here... big guys will get paid. Others gonna get left out in the cold.

The Duncan mock offseason was telling (although they are overly conservative). For Favors it all really comes down to Dallas. If they go a different direction it’s ugly.

Yeah, bargains for teams who want to sign dudes to multi-year deals. A lot of teams will just want to do 1 year deals.

You can almost rest assured that the Jazz will be back next year with primarily the same team that they had this year.

They finished the year 30-8. That's a 64-win pace. When Rudy returned, when Ricky figured out how to work in Quin's system, when Mitchell gained confidence, when Royce O'Neale started making some shots, and when Exum came back, the Jazz were actually a good team -- #1 in defensive efficiency and #14 or 15 offensively. Now the Jazz think they can get more internal improvement from Ricky, Donovan, Exum, Royce and Jae Crowder. I can see why they feel good about where they're sitting. They just need to make one or two surgically precise moves from here.

I agree with this. One other thing to note is Dallas is going to get after Boogie, which will likely limit Favors some as well.

If this is true I don't see why they would pick up Thabos option. I like the guy, but if you have a shot at getting a younger talented player that can develop at a bargain, seems like it is bad business to keep the guy that was hurt most of the year and got himself a suspension. I like Thabo, but I'm not seeing the incentive to keep him. I guess it depends on what is available.