What's new

Let’s talk about fours

I don't know if we necessarily have to renounce Exum. If we renounce Favors, Thabo, Jerekbo, Udoh and Neto, we are at $20.5 million plus Exum's cap hold. If we re-sign Exum during the moratorium to $5.7 or less, we would have the space to just absorb the $14.8 Tobias Harris is owed next year. If we re-signed Exum to around $8 million, we could trade Bradley for Harris.

This math seems bad... are we assuming we already got rid of ABs salary?

Next year is the year to keep powder dry for the big FA addition... DM gonna be the best recruiter since wade.

He knows everybody... heard Mikal Bridges mention him in his press conference saying they were close... anything we do this offseason needs to be able to be undone if it affects next years space.

Be patient. Look for a bargain... this is the offseason to bake the cake... and I was not an original cake baker.

Im gonna be happy if we end up with one of these top tier players in free agency.

In this order..

Obviously, but not realistic.

1. Lebron
2. George
3. Aaron Gordon (probably less realistic than George)

More realistically..
4. Parker
5. Derrick Favors
6. Julius Randle

Not top tier, but happy about it.
7. Mario Hezonja

Not super happy about it, but would take it if all the others fall through.
8. Michael Beasley
9. Nemanja Bjelica

These are with the hope we and assumption we retain Exum too.

Randle isnt my first choice, but Id be really excited if thats who we end up with. We at least have to get him if all the other top tier players fall through. I dont want to pin my hopes on next year's free agency. Its too big of a gamble to pass this year if there is a real opportunity to get one of these guys.

This is what I mean by we have to at least give Randle a look. If our first choices dont come through then he is a pretty good consolation prize.

I'd be happy about anyone from 4-9. We need to at least maintain our level from last year. We still didn't have Rubio and Thabo in that Rockets series. We might be closer than we think.

This math seems bad... are we assuming we already got rid of ABs salary?

I didn't account for O'Neale, but it's close - ($19.2 million without Favors, Exum and the non-guaranteeds - only keeping O'Neale) http://www.basketballinsiders.com/maximum-salary-cap-space-projections-for-2018-19/

Like I said before:
Renounce Thabo by July 1 (at $5.25, we should do this regardless)
Renounce Favors (actually, it would be better if he just agrees to sign elsewhere during the moratorium so it looks like we are left with a PF need so this all comes together)
Renounce Jerekbo, Neto, Udoh, Stockton
Re-sign Exum to $5 million

At that point, we have $14.2 million of cap space. Tobias Harris makes $14.8 million. If we traded Bradley and our 2019 1st for Harris, we could actually sign Exum for a little more than $6 million. But we have to sign Exum before we make the deal because Exum's hold is $15 million but his contract would only be $5 or $6 under these circumstances.

PG Rubio, Exum
SG Donovan, Grayson, Burks
SF Ingles, O'Neale
PF Harris, Crowder
C Gobert
The rest of the roster would be filled by minimum type contracts, MLE and BAE. We would need to do a good job finding a couple bigs like Jerekbo and Udoh.

But overall, this whole thinking is unrealistic (whoever asked the question earlier about just renouncing everybody and adding Harris). I don't think the Clippers would give up Harris for so little. If they really look to trade Harris, I think they want to attach a bad contract or get something bigger.

Marcus or Markeif Morris - Either might be had for the right trade
Frank Kaminsky or Marvin Williams - Marvins contract is bad
Noah Vonleh - If you believe in our development staff
Jeff Green - Still cant shoot well
wilson Chandler - He might be had but for some reason not a fan
Stanley Johnson - If you want a small ball 4 but still can't shoot well
Kevon Looney - more of a 5 but good defensively
Luc Mbah a moute - One of my favorite choices if Favors goes
TJ Leaf - shot 43% from 3
Sam Dekker - awful shooter but one of my favorite players
Tobias Harris - Might be expensive to trade for but perfect fit
Julius Randle - very left hand dominate
Ivan Rabb - Remember him he is buried on Memphis bench
Jabari Parker - I could see the Jazz at least inquiring
Nemanja Bjelica - Hard to come up with an offer Minny wouldn't match with out over paying
Mario Hezonja - He is the perfect fit and my #1 option this summer
Dragan bender - What is defense
Al Farouq Aminu - Might be had for the right price
Skal Labissiere - I like the idea of bring him in as a developmental piece
Rudy Gay - Might be an option if Favors walks
Serge Ibaka - I like the idea of Ibaka but maybe I just remember the OKC Ibaka
Otto Porter Jr - If they want to cut enough salary would be tricky

This may not be a popular view but depending upon how things shake out I think Thabo can add a lot of value next year. Assuming he comes back from his injury without a hitch, he provides a lot of what we need. He is not the long term solution but if he would have been healthy during the playoffs he would have gotten some solid time. Nice player to have when small ball is in action.

I didn't account for O'Neale, but it's close - ($19.2 million without Favors, Exum and the non-guaranteeds - only keeping O'Neale) http://www.basketballinsiders.com/maximum-salary-cap-space-projections-for-2018-19/

Like I said before:
Renounce Thabo by July 1 (at $5.25, we should do this regardless)
Renounce Favors (actually, it would be better if he just agrees to sign elsewhere during the moratorium so it looks like we are left with a PF need so this all comes together)
Renounce Jerekbo, Neto, Udoh, Stockton
Re-sign Exum to $5 million

At that point, we have $14.2 million of cap space. Tobias Harris makes $14.8 million. If we traded Bradley and our 2019 1st for Harris, we could actually sign Exum for a little more than $6 million. But we have to sign Exum before we make the deal because Exum's hold is $15 million but his contract would only be $5 or $6 under these circumstances.

PG Rubio, Exum
SG Donovan, Grayson, Burks
SF Ingles, O'Neale
PF Harris, Crowder
C Gobert
The rest of the roster would be filled by minimum type contracts, MLE and BAE. We would need to do a good job finding a couple bigs like Jerekbo and Udoh.

But overall, this whole thinking is unrealistic (whoever asked the question earlier about just renouncing everybody and adding Harris). I don't think the Clippers would give up Harris for so little. If they really look to trade Harris, I think they want to attach a bad contract or get something bigger.
I have a hard time seeing the LA Clippers trade Harris before the season even starts. And if they do, I'm not sure we can put together the best offer for him. I say we bring back Thabo & Jerebko, re-sign Exum, and then re-sign Favors to a 1 year deal for about $18-$20 million. Then all of those contracts will be expiring after this season and we can still have a really good team this year.

If the Clips then decide to dump Tobias Harris at the trade deadline, we'll be real players with the expiring contracts and could have a really good team with adding Harris to a team that already has Favors.

Supposedly Thad Young opted out... didn't see it, but Nate Duncan mentioned it. A little old, but if he misses out on the big money I'd be interested.

Supposedly Thad Young opted out... didn't see it, but Nate Duncan mentioned it. A little old, but if he misses out on the big money I'd be interested.

YOu know what... I don't think that was real... i think that was in their mock offseason... my bad... carry on.

I'm going to add Mike Muscala to the list. Liked him for a while. He's a 4/5 good shooter. I think we could do Udoh for Muscala... gives Atlanta another 1.8M in space to take on bad money for picks and they get a good mentor vet and fill in guy. Seeing as we never actually use second rounders I'd send them our second rounder too. I think Muscala gives us more diversity in a true big.

Super boring but I think its the kind of low key move we could make.

Exum is getting more than $5m, it's just silly to put that number in calculations.

Thabo is not going to be the player he was; he's old, he's coming back from a serious injury. There's a bigger chance we'll see a JJ-like decline in his play.

If Utah re-signs Favors, I doubt he'd accept a 1yr deal. So add Favors, Exum and any other decent FA and the Jazz likely are not players in free agency in 2019. But maybe that's an opportunity. Make a great trade at the deadline from a team pinning their hopes on a big name FA in the summer and wanting to clear cap room.

Exum is getting more than $5m, it's just silly to put that number in calculations.

Thabo is not going to be the player he was; he's old, he's coming back from a serious injury. There's a bigger chance we'll see a JJ-like decline in his play.

If Utah re-signs Favors, I doubt he'd accept a 1yr deal. So add Favors, Exum and any other decent FA and the Jazz likely are not players in free agency in 2019. But maybe that's an opportunity. Make a great trade at the deadline from a team pinning their hopes on a big name FA in the summer and wanting to clear cap room.

I agree that Exum gets more than $5.

I agree about Thabo. $5.5 is just not great value. I wish his deadline date was 7/9, but it's not.

I don't subscribe to the sign then trade at deadline logic. We could have traded Favors this year, but didn't due to chemistry. We won't convince him to sign a 1 year or 1+1 deal and then just trade him at the deadline. We only trade bad fits at the deadline. As for Exum, we wouldn't trade him either. If he does really well, why would we sell him? If he's playing poorly or gets hurt again, why would another team trade for him?

Gas hit it on the head -

Go big. Lebon, PG13 or Aaron Gordon.

After that, keep Favors and Exum on team friendly deals.

Add a stretchy 4 like Hezonja or Bjelly.

Maybe trade Burks for a better fit (Junkyard Dog) or for an asset (Faried + pick or young player) and keep your options open for a big in season deal.

Other that landing a star player, the Jazz need to preserve max space next year and see who Mitchell, Gobert and Snyder can recruit.

Its pretty cut and dry. If you can't get Gordon or Parker you stay with Favors on a 1+1 with a team option. No one readily available is an upgrade besides those 2.

Don't make me barf with Thad Young. He's a marginally better fit (and I'm not 100% convinced of that) in the starting lineup who doesn't offer the positional versatility Favors does.

If Favors doesn't want to stay on that style of deal, then you go after Bjelica. Everything should be a 1 year deal at that position.

Im gonna be happy if we end up with one of these top tier players in free agency.

In this order..

Obviously, but not realistic.

1. Lebron
2. George
3. Aaron Gordon (probably less realistic than George)

More realistically..
4. Parker
5. Derrick Favors
6. Julius Randle

Not top tier, but happy about it.
7. Mario Hezonja

Not super happy about it, but would take it if all the others fall through.
8. Michael Beasley
9. Nemanja Bjelica

These are with the hope we and assumption we retain Exum too.

Randle isnt my first choice, but Id be really excited if thats who we end up with. We at least have to get him if all the other top tier players fall through. I dont want to pin my hopes on next year's free agency. Its too big of a gamble to pass this year if there is a real opportunity to get one of these guys.

This is what I mean by we have to at least give Randle a look. If our first choices dont come through then he is a pretty good consolation prize.

Most of Randle's shots he makes are within 3 ft. of the basket...how does that work with Rudy? Thirty-eight players took at least 300 shots from within three feet during the 2017-18 campaign; Randle was at 492, which left him behind only eight men.

Last edited:
They should grab Vonleh... Hes 22 and pretty much what everyone wants here, as far as i see it.

The bulls certainly thought he could shoot 3's... he took 60 in 21 games (at a 30% clip)

supremely high character and extreme work ethic too, i'd bet they say he arrives the earliest and leaves the latest and things like that.

strong tough, high-motor kid 13 rebounds per 36 last year. i think playing next to a big like rudy would be a great match for him, plenty of upside too, it's a high reward move.

I heard he's got 2 little sisters who are possible WNBA players.

most would be surprised with his overall skill level too, he can actually dribble has a nice crossover...

ppl here liked to bash him as a potential draft pick but signing him on the open market like this is a whole different story. He's also a good match with Tony Bradley.

Last edited: