What's new

Let's play remember when

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
We've been through a lot together. There have been downs and some pretty cool ups. Along the way there was always hope that our latest acquisition or draft pick would bring us back to what we became accustomed to in the Stockton/Malone years. We've had winning streaks and losing streaks, and a lot of injuries along the way. But even when we were terrible it seemed like most of us enjoyed the process. It's not really about the end game for most of us, we just want to see great effort and good players and coaches doing their thing and good decisions by the front office. Regardless of where we end up this season we have witnessed some of the best basketball ever played by any team in history so I guess you could call this a culmination of years of fandom. And it's ok to revel in the moment, smell the roses along the way as they say.

In that spirit let's look back on moments good and bad where you thought we were finally getting over the hump or doomed to eternal mediocrity.

One of those times for me was the 2011-12 Jazz, our first year without Deron. The first full season of Tyrone Corbin. Faves and Hayward were coming off nice rookie seasons and we drafted Enes and AB to go along with Millsap, DMC, Earl "the bulldog" Watson, Jefferson and recent all-star Devin Harris. I was pumped. I thought this was it. We had a little bit of Air Jordan in AB and Enes had blown up the Nike Hoop Summit. Hayward scored over 30 points twice his rookie year. Faves had moments where he looked like a top talent. We had an All-star PG. Jefferson was an automatic 20-25 pts. And Millsap was our anchor. We started out 9-4(5 game win streak) in the lockout shortened season then devolved into team who gave an effort every other game. Ty seemed unable to get the most from our team. He also seemed unable to call a timeout. I remember Favors loafing down the court. We had three 5-game win streaks where you thought we might be damn good but that was fools gold. Made the playoffs and got blown out by the Spurs.

Last edited:
The 2013 draft was one of the moments I’ll never forget. I thought for sure drafting Burke was going to turn us around. We had picks 14/21 to start the night and traded both of those up to 9 to get Burke. He was projected to go as high as 2 to Orlando. I don’t think there has even been as much uniformity on here as far as a draft pick has gone. Everyone loved him and was excited. How could you not be after what he did in college and March Madness?

Funniest thing about it all is the 2013 draft is what turned us around but not because of Burke. It was because of trading pick 46 and cash to Denver for pick 27 which is where we drafted Gobert. The rest is history from there.

Funniest thing about it all is the 2013 draft is what turned us around but not because of Burke. It was because of trading pick 46 and cash to Denver for pick 27 which is where we drafted Gobert. The rest is history from there
Watching Donovan ascend to near superstardom is a close second, but the most gratifying part of watching the Jazz over the last half decade or so has been Rudy going from a late first round G league project into a truly dominant defender and the anchor of the best team in the NBA.

Watching Donovan ascend to near superstardom is a close second, but the most gratifying part of watching the Jazz over the last half decade or so has been Rudy going from a late first round G league project into a truly dominant defender and the anchor of the best team in the NBA.

I remember seeing this photo in 2014 and thinking Rudy would be a lifetime Jazz guy.

1613323824693.png

Hall of famer.

I really loved that team with D-Will, Boozer, Okur, Millsap, AK47, etc. We did get to the conference finals, but the Spurs, as usual, dominated us. He may get a bad rap for his injury-milking history and lack of D, but Booz was very good offensive player and one of the most consistent PFs in the league for most of his career. Outside of CP3, D-Will has about as good of a PG in the league. Also, Memo may be the most likeable Jazz player ever. Lastly, Kirilenko was probably the most disappointing Jazz player that I can remember. He would have those 5X5 games and look to be a true HOF-type player. But he lacked any true motivation and drive; his lack of consistent shooting really got him. If he had the work ethic of a Gobert or Mitchell, he would have been one of the greats.

Whats amazing was how good AK was even without the motivation. I'd have loved to see him with a pro like Stockton on the team keeping him accountable, he'd have been a multi-year MVP.

I remember in the abomination that was the 13-14 season, we had all hands on deck firing up the tank memes, hoping the Jazz would be able to draft a superstar.

Little did any of us know that the superstar we all were waiting for was already on the roster.

I remember seeing this photo in 2014 and thinking Rudy would be a lifetime Jazz guy.

View attachment 10303
I remember this. I don’t know who the guy in the back is, though.
I remember in the abomination that was the 13-14 season, we had all hands on deck firing up the tank memes, hoping the Jazz would be able to draft a superstar.

Little did any of us know that the superstar we all were waiting for was already on the roster.
It’s okay. We spent the year tanking but in the end we got arguably our best scorer.

For me it's the 2004 draft. I was 100% convinced that Snyder and Humphries were both going to be incredible players for the Jazz.
2004 draft was the first draft I was on my mission. The whole year preceding, I had wanted us to get Emeka Okafor. We were supposed to be really bad, but obviously we moved out of that range and had the three picks (left on mission in early February). Then had to call a ward member a couple times that night to get update. Wasn’t really familiar with Humphries or Snyder, but was happy when we drafted Pavel (but then traded him). Pavel was supposed to come out the year before and was projected in the top 5, and there were all these rumors that we were really high on him.

Ah, the days when I cared about the draft. This past year was the first year I’ve written it off mostly. It doesn’t help that I’ve been in “trade all teh picks” mode since early in Donovan’s rookie season.

Remember when there was jackpotting around and we drafted a few high school players?

D-Steve and Miles come to mind. And both ended up having solid careers. We traded Stevenson to the Magic for moody Gordan Giricek, whom we traded for Kyle Korver, so that was cool.

I'll always remember Stevenson and his credit card /grill photo along with the fact he had an ATM machine inside his house. Jackpotting around, indeed.

Miles got an unwarranted amount of hate on the old JF - he definitely upped his game after leaving Utah and I think it's cool he played 15 years in the league. He always seemed like a nice person.

Some blasts from the past from the D-will to Booze days
dwill-and-pual.jpg

d-will.jpg

Jazz-beats-Denver.gif

jazz-playoff-picture.jpg

dwill-pass.jpg

Oh and this might be useful nowadays...
Millsap-block-shaq.jpg

Remember when a player whose name I forget signed with the Celtics because they were obviously better set up to win a championship than the Jazz?

The Jazz are currently 22-5 while the Celtics are 13-13. Said player is on a team that's 13-14. The Celtics also owe Kemba Walker 107 million over the next 2.5 years(as if he turns down that player option) so that'll be fun based on the way he's played this year.