What's new

Liberal Religion is Getting a "Trump Bump"

sirkickyass

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
This will be a bit of a ramble, but for some reason this feels like the forum for this sort of thing:

This election was hard on everyone. Really really hard. But, in all honesty, the hardest part of it for me personally was seeing many people that I know consider themselves to be Godly and ethical essentially choose to say that the current conditions are livable because they were very unlikely to be personally affected. Further, I was advised that my wife and I, as white relatively wealthy professionals, should essentially just hunker down as a "nation of two" and wait out the storm because we were very well situated for the next four years.

A couple points:

1. That description is objectively correct. The Madame and I are among those best situated to have nothing bad happen to us.

2. The description of "nation of two" was chosen purposely. The person who said this knows I am a particular admirer of Kurt Vonnegut. The phrase "nation of two" appears in his book "Mother Night" which is largely about someone who does work for the Nazis as a propagandist in an effort to preserve the only relationship that matters: the relationship with his wife. In his moral calculus all his actions are justified because only one nation matters: the nation of two.

This is an accurate description of the plot, but my friend totally misremembers the point of the book. Ultimately, by being complacent with the Nazis and serving their ends, the protagonist was one. "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." The Nation of Two was a justification of a moral failing; not a proscription for how to live in times that call for real action and community engagement.

Seeking some way to connect with other people in town, my wife and I started attending the local unitarian church. Unitarians are gentle, angry liberal people. We were surprised to find the parking lot overflowing to the point that we had to walk down the street. Apparently we were not alone in seeking out some form of social action. The local unitarians have swollen in their ranks by 40% since the election. The church leaders have indicated that when they communicate with other liberal congregations, that similar growth is being experienced elsewhere. Notably, this reverses a multi decade trend of slow dwindling and die off. Unitarians have so little set doctrine and so little emphasis on recruitment that they really weren't doing much but dying off in the long run. Apparently the liberal congregations are referring to this cultural moment as the "Trump Bump."

This has been honestly very helpful because it's been the opposite experience of speaking with those who advised me to ride it out. Instead, the local congregation appears to be focused nearly entirely on bridging gaps in the community to make us better understand those who are different. They do some silly liberal things like hold workshops on white privilege (although when I look around it seems to me like they already have plenty of experience with it) but they do honestly productive things as well. We are attending prayers at the local Arizona mosque and sharing a meal with them this weekend by invitation of the local Islamic community. Getting to know these people is the best way to generating empathy with them.

They also appear to be fighting a small war with the local community. Banners in support of Black Lives Matter and Refugees have been repeatedly vandalized by people in the neighborhood. They just keep posting new banners next to signs offering to talk to the vandals about it with no hard feelings. For a place that has never mentioned Jesus once to me, they sure act Christ-like.

This is a board full of liberal disaffected ex-mormons. I am one of you as well. And there are many of us at my branch. If you ever miss the social aspect of it, but can't stand all the God stuff anymore, this is your solution. I certainly never would have expected that Trump, of all people, would be the person who would get me to go to church again. And if Trump is what reinvigorates liberal religion that has got to be the most unintended consequence of all time.

This will be a bit of a ramble, but for some reason this feels like the forum for this sort of thing:

This election was hard on everyone. Really really hard. But, in all honesty, the hardest part of it for me personally was seeing many people that I know consider themselves to be Godly and ethical essentially choose to say that the current conditions are livable because they were very unlikely to be personally affected. Further, I was advised that my wife and I, as white relatively wealthy professionals, should essentially just hunker down as a "nation of two" and wait out the storm because we were very well situated for the next four years.

Seeking some way to connect with other people in town, my wife and I started attending the local unitarian church. Unitarians are gentle, angry liberal people. We were surprised to find the parking lot overflowing to the point that we had to walk down the street. Apparently we were not alone in seeking out some form of social action. The local unitarians have swollen in their ranks by 40% since the election. The church leaders have indicated that when they communicate with other liberal congregations, that similar growth is being experienced elsewhere. Notably, this reverses a multi decade trend of slow dwindling and die off. Unitarians have so little set doctrine and so little emphasis on recruitment that they really weren't doing much but dying off in the long run. Apparently the liberal congregations are referring to this cultural moment as the "Trump Bump."

This has been honestly very helpful because it's been the opposite experience of speaking with those who advised me to ride it out. Instead, the local congregation appears to be focused nearly entirely on bridging gaps in the community to make us better understand those who are different. They do some silly liberal things like hold workshops on white privilege (although when I look around it seems to me like they already have plenty of experience with it) but they do honestly productive things as well. We are attending prayers at the local Arizona mosque and sharing a meal with them this weekend by invitation of the local Islamic community. Getting to know these people is the best way to generating empathy with them.

They also appear to be fighting a small war with the local community. Banners in support of Black Lives Matter and Refugees have been repeatedly vandalized by people in the neighborhood. They just keep posting new banners next to signs offering to talk to the vandals about it with no hard feelings. For a place that has never mentioned Jesus once to me, they sure act Christ-like.

This is a board full of liberal disaffected ex-mormons. I am one of you as well. And there are many of us at my branch. If you ever miss the social aspect of it, but can't stand all the God stuff anymore, this is your solution. I certainly never would have expected that Trump, of all people, would be the person who would get me to go to church again. And if Trump is what reinvigorates liberal religion that has got to be the most unintended consequence of all time.
I attended the UU church for a year or so when I first left the LDS church. It was my soft place to land, and I loved the acceptance there. I had spent so long feeling bad at church, and it was amazing to feel uplifted and inspired and enough. It gave me a little sense of ritual and I love the music. It was a very positive experience. I stopped attending when my health declined, but I should consider returning.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

This is very interesting. Thank you. We've just been attending the local ward, but it appears we are moving back to Oregon, so this might be a good thing to look for when we depart.

This is very interesting. Thank you. We've just been attending the local ward, but it appears we are moving back to Oregon, so this might be a good thing to look for when we depart.

You're moving back permanently?

I wonder how differently this last election would have gone if communities would have done more things together leading up.

That's the bad news. The good news, every day is a chance to learn, grow and get better.

What part of Oregon? I'm in Corvallis.

Hey like maybe next time people should show their displeasure for Trump by voting? Who knows it may just be more effective than protests after the election. A little theory I've been working on. I know it sounds crazy but I've got a hunch.

I still wake up everyday and I'm just like "Damn, Donald Trump is out there doing President **** right now". It's inspiring and depressing at the same time.

What part of Oregon? I'm in Corvallis.

How do you like Corvallis? We've almost moved there a bunch of times. We will decide exactly where this weekend. We are looking at Brookings and Astoria. Coastal towns. Time to live the coast life for a couple years.

Why not join some co-ed sports league/club instead of church? Plenty of social stuff at the games and after them. Church seems so medieval. But whatever works for you man, glad you are happy.

I attended the UU church for a year or so when I first left the LDS church. It was my soft place to land, and I loved the acceptance there. I had spent so long feeling bad at church, and it was amazing to feel uplifted and inspired and enough. It gave me a little sense of ritual and I love the music. It was a very positive experience. I stopped attending when my health declined, but I should consider returning.
[/URL]

The music is certainly all over the place compared to the LDS church experience. African American Slave spirituals are pretty common. After a sermon that included a pretty significant lesson the history of 16th Century europe (you probably had to be there) they used a song that was largely Hungarian. They are definitely going for variety.

I would sincerely recommend it. I was very reluctant. My wife had to go a couple times without me and sort of give me the recaps afterwards. I eventually decided that it sounded like a jerk-free zone. Certainly it is the parking lot most full of electric vehicles that I've ever seen in Arizona.

I wonder how differently this last election would have gone if communities would have done more things together leading up.

That's the bad news. The good news, every day is a chance to learn, grow and get better.

I think about this every day. I remember living in Brigham City, Utah and legitimately knowing all the neighbors and some basic facts about their lives. A big portion of that was because everyone had kids, they all went to the same public school, and they all went to the same church. That's probably not realistic outside of really small and insular communities like that one. But it does make me realize that we've essentially opted out of most of the social structures that make us understand that everyone around us isn't a monster.

This was the first year that I have been a homeowner and my favorite day for it was Halloween because it was socially acceptable for all the neighbors to just walk up and talk to us. A sudden shift like that makes you realize how rarely we all talk to each other even in a nice neighborhood with no crime issues to speak of. Sad!

Why not join some co-ed sports league/club instead of church? Plenty of social stuff at the games and after them. Church seems so medieval. But whatever works for you man, glad you are happy.

Because I'm old and that would mostly be embarrassing. Calling the UU a church really only makes sense because of the structure of meeting for an hour on a Sunday with some optional stuff after (a huge proportion of people in their 40s went to a bar afterwards last week). It's really good citizen club for a bunch of people who want to have excuses to talk to each other.

Because I'm old and that would mostly be embarrassing. Calling the UU a church really only makes sense because of the structure of meeting for an hour on a Sunday with some optional stuff after (a huge proportion of people in their 40s went to a bar afterwards last week). It's really good citizen club for a bunch of people who want to have excuses to talk to each other.

How old are you?
We have tons of senior leagues and clubs. I play in +45 mens soccer league and +35 basketball league. Some people get together for hiking, snowshoeing, card games, darts, bowling, billiard, etc. There is plenty of fun activities for middle age and older folks.

How old are you?
We have tons of senior leagues and clubs. I play in +45 mens soccer league and +35 basketball league. Some people get together for hiking, snowshoeing, card games, darts, bowling, billiard, etc. There is plenty of fun activities for middle age and older folks.

I'm 33 going on 73. I dug up a bunch of rocks last month and planted a rose bush and was sore for days.

As a practical reality, my wife wouldn't want to be in a co-ed sports league so that removes some of the incentive.

I think it's cool that you found another avenue for community bonding. I enjoy the LDS community connection where I live even though I'm not a member.