What's new

Liberal Religion is Getting a "Trump Bump"

I'm 33 going on 73. I dug up a bunch of rocks last month and planted a rose bush and was sore for days.

As a practical reality, my wife wouldn't want to be in a co-ed sports league so that removes some of the incentive.

Bowling is good. It's so uncool, it's almost cool

back to the church, if you ever have kids, the Unitarians typically have a great Sunday school program that gently teaches a lot of philosophical stuff and encourages kids to think through the "big questions"

I'm 33 going on 73. I dug up a bunch of rocks last month and planted a rose bush and was sore for days.

As a practical reality, my wife wouldn't want to be in a co-ed sports league so that removes some of the incentive.

you should go on trt.

trt is a mini fountain of youth

ask your doctor about it

Just got an email from my local UU church about "T-Shirt Sunday" inviting attendees to wear a T-shirt that expresses part of your personal identity that others may not know about you. They will be exploring diversity and the multiplicity/complexity of personal identities. Now that's my idea of church!

back to the church, if you ever have kids, the Unitarians typically have a great Sunday school program that gently teaches a lot of philosophical stuff and encourages kids to think through the "big questions"

I got a brief exposure to what they have the kids do. It was honestly astonishingly good. They were having age groups vote on study units of other world religions so they could learn history, teachings, and culture from a really broad base. When I walked in one set was talking about Calvinists pretty openly and another was working on some indigenous animist stuff. I came away thinking that these kids might be totally impervious to someone telling them only one religion had the answers simply because they had way too much context from such a young age.

Was honestly jealous.

Paradoxically, so long as God doesn't bother you with specific instructions, the more people can imagine they love him and are loved by him.

Sorta like my pa.

We can freely make up our own schematic, but the idea of actually having a real, sovereign, absolute self-defined God is what the Bible claims, as well as the root idea of aRestoration.

Pa proved he was not really interested at all. If I'm gonna pay any mind to God, it would have to be one who cares enough to pop out and lay down the law.

Not like a mod who puts me on ignore.

Paradoxically, so long as God doesn't bother you with specific instructions, the more people can imagine they love him and are loved by him.

See, now you are talking. All religions would be ten thousand times more appealing if they would get rid of stupid medieval restrictions and orders ( specific diet, prayers, rituals, etc). Now they all are just a joke.

I can't see how to embed this on a phone, but this is hilarious.

Edit by Jason - love you too

Last edited by a moderator:
Liberal Religion is Getting a "Trump Bump"

I can't see how to embed this on a phone, but this is hilarious.

Edit by Jason - love you too

And infraction comes in 3...2...1...

And no, I did not report it.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

See, now you are talking. All religions would be ten thousand times more appealing if they would get rid of stupid medieval restrictions and orders ( specific diet, prayers, rituals, etc). Now they all are just a joke.

You fail to understand religion for what it is. Objectivists, rationalists, materialists, believers in anything deemed beyond dispute, such as your own political ideology, will mistake others' "religions" as a similar claim. Most people invoke religion to supply answers clearly unknowable, placeholders they realize are beliefs without rational proof. Just some stuff to make life feel good afterall. That's why, statists aside, religious people are generally pretty tolerant of others, unlike fascists, progressives, communists, or any other class of political certitude. Well, unlike any "State Religion".

I gave some thought to this. Probably the best way to think about "liberal religion," as opposed to doctrine oriented religion, is that it's a group of people who want to figure out how to best engage ethically with their world and community. Congregations form around similar ideas about how to attack that specific kind of problem. That's what makes it different from a sports club, where the goal is to play a sport. Ultimately it needs to be someone's job to give everyone a reason to show up and operate on that level or else it just doesn't happen.

The local meeting this week was at the Tempe mosque. We had Q&A with the local Islamic group (I understand a lot more about Islam than I ever did before), ate a halal dinner, and watched them do their evening prayer. The real goal was figuring out the best way to humanize Muslims when we have to talk about them to people who are radicalized against the religion. They couldn't have been nicer to us. It was useful and insightful. I'm not joining up anytime soon, but I feel like it was a very good cultural experience.

Translation-people who practice liberal religion are not republicans. They are Democrats.

/thread

Translation-people who practice liberal religion are not republicans. They are Democrats.

/thread

Or, people who practice liberal religion realize they don't have all the answers but want to have an environment to become better people, study Christ and his followings, including the ideals taught in the Good Samaritan and the commandment to love thy neighbor.

Unilke those religions who think they have all the answers even though they are constantly wrong and look to demonize those they know nothing about and are scared of.

Or, people who practice liberal religion realize they don't have all the answers but want to have an environment to become better people, study Christ and his followings, including the ideals taught in the Good Samaritan and the commandment to love thy neighbor.

Unilke those religions who think they have all the answers even though they are constantly wrong and look to demonize those they know nothing about and are scared of.

lmfao

This fake religion stuff sounds boring af.

Just imagining spending an evening watching people pray to "humanize" them...