What's new

Lottery Standings

Apparently coin toss is this Friday. And unless GS wins, our hopes lie on heads or tails.

one other scenario in which we get it:

1) if golden state wins, they have a 90% chance of remaining 8-10 after the lotto

2a) if golden state loses, they have a 50% chance of losing coin toss, then 90% of staying 8-10: 45% chance
2b) if golden state loses, they have a 50% chance of winning coin toss, then roughly a 25% chance of getting leapfrogged: 12% chance

so 90% if they win, 57% if they lose. either way, it's better than 50/50.

It only gets narrowed down. Won't know for sure until after the balls bounce. I'm certain that's what Nerdly was referring to.

Gotcha. Here's to hoping Stern has a crooked coin.

But then GS has a 50% chance of wanting heads or tails.....damn, crooked coin doesn't help.

Where does this coin toss procedure everyone is talking about and what is it for?
As far as I understand the draft lottery process, if two or more teams are tied with the same records then all the ping pong balls (for those designated slots are added together and divided among the tied teams).
In this case with GS and Toronto, the #7 slot has 43 ping pongs (out of 1,000) and the #8 slot has 28 ping pongs (out of 1,000). 43 + 28 = 71 which cannot be divided equally so one team will have 35 ping pongs and the other 36 ping pongs.

So is the coin toss to see which team gets the extra 1 ping pong?

Where does this coin toss procedure everyone is talking about and what is it for?
As far as I understand the draft lottery process, if two or more teams are tied with the same records then all the ping pong balls (for those designated slots are added together and divided among the tied teams).
In this case with GS and Toronto, the #7 slot has 43 ping pongs (out of 1,000) and the #8 slot has 28 ping pongs (out of 1,000). 43 + 28 = 71 which cannot be divided equally so one team will have 35 ping pongs and the other 36 ping pongs.

Coin toss is to seperate 7th,8th. Lottery (balls) are for picks 1-3. They'll still get the same number of balls.

So tell me if I have this correct.

Coin flip decides which of Toronto and GS gets 35 ping pong ball combinations and which one gets 36 ping poll ball combinations.
If neither of their combinations jumps into the lottery then they stay at their same position, right.
And if no one behind them leapfrogs them then they stay at their draft position. Right?

So yeah, we'd prefer GS loses the coin toss and is in 8th. Right?

Then they can only get 8th, 9th, 10th. Or maybe win the lottery.

If GS wins the coin toss they can get 7th, 8th, 9th. Or maybe win the lottery.

I think this is it.

Coin flip decides which of Toronto and GS gets 35 ping pong ball combinations and which one gets 36 ping poll ball combinations.
If neither of their combinations jumps into the lottery then they stay at their same position, right.
And if no one behind them leapfrogs them then they stay at their draft position. Right?

I think this is it.

Correct.

I believe the winner of the coin toss gets both 7th position (pre-lottery) and the extra lottery ball.

I think this is it.

For all those still questioning things, this sums it up nicely.

"johnhollinger John Hollinger
Warriors-Raptors random drawing (and all others) due to happen right now. Jazz, Ws fans wait for league to announce results." - 13 minutes ago.

"johnhollinger John Hollinger
Warriors-Raptors random drawing (and all others) due to happen right now. Jazz, Ws fans wait for league to announce results." - 13 minutes ago.

And now that's an hour old. Argh.

Let me start the whining conspiracies, c'mon we all knew Stern would let the new owner who just dumped a bunch of money on a team lose did you $$$$ is king.

Let me start the whining conspiracies, c'mon we all knew Stern would let the new owner who just dumped a bunch of money on a team lose did you $$$$ is king.
He lets them win the coin toss to throw a bone to Lacob, then awards a team in the 8-14 slot one of the top-3 picks to punish them for tanking.

He lets them win the coin toss to throw a bone to Lacob, then awards a team in the 8-14 slot one of the top-3 picks to punish them for tanking.
That's what I was thinking but didn't want to jinx it.... gooosssshhh thnx

But honestly that is what I was guessing would happen last night when I checked the scores and saw GSW lost.

The lotto is to help truely bad teams improve GSW is not a bad team (on talent just poorly managed/coached) if ever a worst team deserved the #1 pick it is CHA they truly deprived of talent (among other things) while GSW is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Just going off of roster talent alone they are around the 12-14th seed/team IMHO and beating a dead horse are not deserving of what the lotto is truly intended for.