What's new

Lyles

Keefe

Without looking up box scores and without even commenting on his defensive impact, or lack thereof, I think we have to admit the kid has improved a lot the last couple weeks. He's rebounding and starting to hit some buckets. Not bad for a 19 year old who played one year off the bench for Kentucky, sort of out of position.

In short, I like the progress and potential I see. He needs to work on his body (and can, look at Hayward) and with that and experience, his defense should vastly improve. So yeah, I've bought in.

He still looks like *** when he plays with Booker. I think it's less improvement and more playing with Hayward/Favors more.

Without looking up box scores and without even commenting on his defensive impact, or lack thereof, I think we have to admit the kid has improved a lot the last couple weeks. He's rebounding and starting to hit some buckets. Not bad for a 19 year old who played one year off the bench for Kentucky, sort of out of position.

In short, I like the progress and potential I see. He needs to work on his body (and can, look at Hayward) and with that and experience, his defense should vastly improve. So yeah, I've bought in.
I agree. He looks somewhat like an nba player recently.... Which is a huge improvement

Anyone who was expecting a major impact this year is crazy. Lyles will be a stud in the league once he gets physically stronger. I have a feeling we'll see a huge jump in his game next season as he combines added strength with the experiences he's undergone in practice and in games this year. He is tailor-made for Coach Snyder's system.

Can't wait for his floor game to develop. Looks to me that at the very least he will be an adequate adequate 3pt shooter with a good midrange game. I was one of if not the only jazfanzer that actually wanted Lyles. I am encouraged by the improvement from the beginning of the season to now.

In the NBA, he doesn't look like an NBA player. During summer ball, you could tell he was the best one on the court and there was a reason he was drafted. Funny how that works.

His rebounding has been pretty good in the past 5 or so games. He's developed pretty good timing in getting them, which IMO is the most important "skill" (perhaps it's more of an art) in rebounding.

And let's us not forget how bad Hayward, and Favors looked their rookie years.... Crazy to see how far they've come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has improved and really has a good foundation for his game. Seems like he can be one of those guys who is good at everything (defense is the biggest question) but not really great at anything. That's not a knock on him though, players like that are very valuable.

Neto is looking better too, shooting 0.477% over last 10 games. Last game he played like an all star for several minutes, steal, passes, shooting. And remember he is a rookie as well.

And let's us not forget how bad Hayward, and Favors looked their rookie years.... Crazy to see how far they've come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what gives me hope... Hayward was really pretty awful the first part of his rookie year. Didn't look like much of a player.

He has improved and really has a good foundation for his game. Seems like he can be one of those guys who is good at everything (defense is the biggest question) but not really great at anything. That's not a knock on him though, players like that are very valuable.
Kinda like boris diaw?

Just what we need another project. Maybe he will be ready for the big show just in time to let Hayward walk as he press DL into a premature max contract gamble.

Whoever made up this cakks n pies nonsense should be shot! Give me a contendor or give me a draft pick like Andrew Wiggins. Even the Lakers know to tank right.

With Gobert out giving him consistent 15-20 minutes is the wise thing to do. He can get a better feel for the game and what he needs to work on next season. However, it needs to end soon if we want to make the playoffs. Right now he is very bad, costing us games, as starting him has led to many first quarter poundings.

To me he looks like Exum last year ,under a really short leash by Coach Snyder.Just move the ball and move the ball.These are the type passes that help Utah be up there in passes on offense but near the bottom in assists. But like Exum he isn't turning the ball over and seems to be focusing on getting rebounds and TRYING to play some defense.
I think he 'll be a lot better next year by getting starter minutes now and Utah will be ready to really mature next year and be a really exciting team next year.

He did it start at Kentucky and he is next paul George.. I kid I kid. Personally I think he is going be a role player off someones bench . That's type of player I see

This is what gives me hope... Hayward was really pretty awful the first part of his rookie year. Didn't look like much of a player.

Yeah, then he had a couple of breakout games against LA, and Denver in the last game of the season where he dropped 34. I was mega-pumped on Hayward at the end of his rookie year.

It would be amazing to get that same feeling about Lyles but I doubt that's gonna happen. Hopefully he just consistently improves, as he has so far.

Last edited:

But, they weren't that bad. Favors put up a 13.8 PER as a 19-yr-old rook. Hayward was lower at 10.something, but that is still significantly above replacement level. Gobert got hardly any minutes, but took advantage when he was in there, with a 12.9 PER.

Lyles PER is currently at 5.4. Obviously, he still has time this season to improve. But if he finishes that low, he'll be right at home in the Hall of Fame of draft busts (guys like Tskitishvili, Diop, Swift, etc).

Don't look now, but Bobby Portis had a HUGE game against the Knicks. Kid passes the eye test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxT_WG-fg3E

Don't look now, but Bobby Portis had a HUGE game against the Knicks. Kid passes the eye test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxT_WG-fg3E

So mad we passed on him. He plays with such passion.

Also, say what you want about his form, his ball gets much better arc than Lyles shot. I love the way he took it to Porzingis baseline, bumped him out of the way, and went up. Going to be a great player.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Last edited: