What's new

Mailman: I'll work with the big men for free

I think they're concerned about all of the following;

1) Malone is too well liked.
2) Malone is too outspoken and would cause unrest with the fanbase with too much loose talk/jackpotting of the mouth.
3) Malone could become 'bigger' than the coaching staff and FO fairly easily .. it's not like there's much charisma around the program.
4) ^^^ They're skeered.

All of that. Malone lobbying through the public ONLY hurts his chances. Dude needed to learn to STFU 25 years ago.

Karl destroyed people on the low block, it wasn't until he was older and the entire league had retooled their line-ups with bigger stronger players to stop Karl (and others) that he evolved into a jump shooting threat.

But he did evolve and can teach the kids all aspects, would make him all the better coach. But back to the post. Teams would routinley send there center to guard Karl, and the PF to double, leaving Eaton alone on the 3pt line.

Karl was smart, he ran right to his spot on the block, never letting the defender have a chance to push him off the block. (Al posting up from 12 feet out makes me ill)

If the defender didn't seal Karl from the baseline quick enough Karl would step through with his right foot and seal the defender on his back and the pass would come baseline almost gaurenteeing a foul and most times a bucket.

If the the defender overplayed the baseline Karl pivoted on his right foot, sealed the defender by stepping his left foot into the lane and when he got the ball he could slam or running hook (Enes has demonstrated a similar running hook).

It was the early postioning and the smart footwork before the pass that made Karl great and it would be easy to teach to the kids. No need to teach them eloborate dream shakes, or the Al Jefferson pump and wait.

Repped. Good and early position. Simple basketball moves.

Strike two!

And, what the hell is your point, anyway? Favors and Kanter aren't powerful and athletic?

Let's call this strike two and three. Gtfo.

Whats he going to tell them, run fast, jump high, dunk, rebound .... through my eyes ... blah blah blah ... WTF is he going to give them? I think they both work plenty hard, which is the main thing Karl would be able to bring to the table. No wonder everyone on here thinks your ****** smells terrible.

Holy ****, I miss LHM.

If your org can't handle Karl ****ing Malone's enthusiasm to get involved in player development, then that's all I need to know... your org has serious (paranoid) management problems. Period.

I think it sucks how little Stock and Malone have been involved. I mean, ****, we've become one of the worst PnR teams in the league... how should we address that???!?
But also this.

Whats he going to tell them, run fast, jump high, dunk, rebound .... through my eyes ... blah blah blah ... WTF is he going to give them? I think they both work plenty hard, which is the main thing Karl would be able to bring to the table. No wonder everyone on here thinks your ****** smells terrible.
Dude, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Jesuuus Christo, what filth.

I guess the moral of my story is I get why the Jazz aren't doing somersaults over him wanting to be a coach, I'll leave it at that

While I'm not as convinced as others that Malone will come on board and turn Favors and Kanter into all-stars, I mean holy **** an HOF offering to work for you for free? How can you turn that down?

It just goes to show that basketball is a fraternity - Kareem, Rick Barry, Robert Parish and now Malone are learning that the hard way. People put up with you when you're an aloof a-hole because you can put up all-star numbers. When that's gone, you're gone - even if you have something to offer. Fair or not, that's just the way it is.

Isn't it worth a try for even just for developing their low post game? And improve other areas that Malone was good at it especially for Kanter? I think he would definately add much more to their game than Ewing did on Howard and Ewing get paid for it. Malone saying i'll work for free cause he got a sense of belonging to Jazz nation even just for that its a great opportunity if you want to keep on with those young guys and want them to be your future. Just let sensei teach 'em. And he is a good teacher if you ask me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MN6JM-7Xo

This is really good stuff. Unfortunately, the Jazz are still short a reliable ballhander/distributor. However, if Kanter ever becomes a threat in the millions of pick-setting options, he could be really, devastatingly good. Kanter just destroys guys that aren't big enough to guard him, so that forces Cs to guard him, which means they'd be set up to guard out on the floor (again, under the situation where Kanter becomes a threat in pick plays) which might blow up their defense.

While I'm not as convinced as others that Malone will come on board and turn Favors and Kanter into all-stars, I mean holy **** an HOF offering to work for you for free? How can you turn that down?

It just goes to show that basketball is a fraternity - Kareem, Rick Barry, Robert Parish and now Malone are learning that the hard way. People put up with you when you're an aloof a-hole because you can put up all-star numbers. When that's gone, you're gone - even if you have something to offer. Fair or not, that's just the way it is.
Care to clarify why you included Kareem and Parish? Kareem has tutored a number of players. Or at least Bynum.

Care to clarify why you included Kareem and Parish? Kareem has tutored a number of players. Or at least Bynum.

Kareem wants to be a coach - not a tutor. And he's tutored two players - Michael Olawakandi and Bynum. After shamelessly begging for a coaching job for years through the media that's all he's been able to get. Of course it didn't help that Kareem went on TV and said Olawakandi was a lazy piece of crap - true or not, that's not what a coach does.

Parish has also turned to the media because he wants to coach and all his friends from Boston - Bird, McHale and Ainge (according to Parish) refuse to return his phone calls.

Kareem wants to be a coach - not a tutor. And he's tutored two players - Michael Olawakandi and Bynum. After shamelessly begging for a coaching job for years through the media that's all he's been able to get. Of course it didn't help that Kareem went on TV and said Olawakandi was a lazy piece of crap - true or not, that's not what a coach does.

Parish has also turned to the media because he wants to coach and all his friends from Boston - Bird, McHale and Ainge (according to Parish) refuse to return his phone calls.
Hmm. That's weird. I would think they would both have some wisdom to impart. Maybe an Xs and Os thing.

"Ok Derrick Favors. Karl Malone gonna show you how to knock out guys with your elbows" "Karl Malone can also show you how to knock up 14 year old girls if you want"

Hmm. That's weird. I would think they would both have some wisdom to impart. Maybe an Xs and Os thing.

well like I said, coaches tend to hire their buddies. Look at Sidney Lowe - Corbin and Lowe both played on the Minnesota Timberwolves back in the late 80's. They obviously have history. And Lowe gets a job despite the fact that he has not played for or coached on a winner since he was the PG for NC State's National Championship Team.

well like I said, coaches tend to hire their buddies. Look at Sidney Lowe - Corbin and Lowe both played on the Minnesota Timberwolves back in the late 80's. They obviously have history. And Lowe gets a job despite the fact that he has not played for or coached on a winner since he was the PG for NC State's National Championship Team.

So what does that say about him towing (toeing?) the company line with Karl?

I'm sure it's primarily ownership here, though. Unlike Parish and Kareem, Karl was burning a bridge many years before he crossed it. And for the record (this is addressing others that have mentioned Stockton), Stockton isn't involved because he just wants to live his life.

Okay, one more rant. Defense.

Karl was stronger than most players he faced, but he was often shorter and in his later years slower. But he could defend the post because he started early. He pushed his opponent out of position starting at mid-court, then made him work to get back down low. Watch Al in particular, but also Milsap--if their guy wants to post they don't try to deny him positon until he gets to the post, maybe sometimes they pick him up at the area between the 3pt line and foul line, but they only ride on his hip as he goes down to the block whereever he wants to be. Watch it during the Bulls game on Friday. If taught properly Enes could bull doze the entire league off the block.

Now, the league has changed since Karls day, with a bunch of 'stretch' 4's and so few who can play the low post, but still tmost eams try to position a player in the post for spacing and eventual rebounding. Knocking those guys 4 or 5 feet out of postion would disrupt the entire offense.

Do you guys remember Calipari saying Kanter could be a Karl Malone type of a big? He was abdolutely right! They have exactly the same game and similar body types.

For sure, you can't compare Kanter to an all-time great but I see the similarities. No disrespect to Karl but I think Kanter can become a top 3 or top 5 Center in this league.

I would say Jazz FO is just wrong if they won't take a HOF PF that built this franchise and have him develop our young bigs FOR FREE. HOLY F%#$ING F*(# house what is wrong with our franchise?

One thing no one has mentioned that I would hope Karl could give Kanter/Favors is more nastiness; the attitude that I'm the best, and nothing is stopping me from putting the ball in the hoop night in, night out. If he gives them nothing other than that, I'd be stoked.