What's new

Mailman: I'll work with the big men for free

Am I defending Karl's opinion? No, just thought it was worth a mention.

I know, I'm just using the opportunity to say that Karl Malone would chop Al's dick off and feed it to him on the reg. On both ends. Al might actually cry. People talk about Al's throwback game, but can you actually imagine him playing in the 90's? Or 80's? Dude wouldn't have gotten to his second contract.

Do you guys remember Calipari saying Kanter could be a Karl Malone type of a big? He was abdolutely right! They have exactly the same game and similar body types.

For sure, you can't compare Kanter to an all-time great but I see the similarities. No disrespect to Karl but I think Kanter can become a top 3 or top 5 Center in this league.

Yes, Calipari said that. Yes, Kanter is a great talent with apparent upside. I do not agree they're the 'exact' same player or should ultimately have the same game..

I know, I'm just using the opportunity to say that Karl Malone would chop Al's dick off and feed it to him on the reg. On both ends. Al might actually cry. People talk about Al's throwback game, but can you actually imagine him playing in the 90's? Or 80's? Dude wouldn't have gotten to his second contract.

Yep. Al would have been eaten alive and exposed far more than he does now.

I'm not convinced Karl will be a functioning coach and not just a giant african american redneck lunatic. I just am not sure what he really brings to the table.

What does him being african american have anything to do with how successful he would be? Are you saying his color would affect his ability to coach? Interesting...

What does him being african american have anything to do with how successful he would be? Are you saying his color would affect his ability to coach? Interesting...

I definitely thought the inclusion of that was bizarre, if not telling...

If anything Malone would make the bigs better in, and understand the nuances of the pick'n roll. Why the jazz org. doesn't want Malone to share his knowledge of the game with our bigs is beyond me.

I don't know if it's our bigs that don't know how to PNR or if its our coach and Tinsley. i watch Favor set screens and roll to the basket while Tinsley throws the ball elsewhere.

Somebody is going to teach Enes and Favors....

David Locke @Lockedonsports about 2 hours ago
Will post Tip Off in a moment discussed Enes Kanter and how important his relationship with Al Jefferson has been and Kanter's upbringing

I'd prefer 7 years of Kanter Malone style than 7 years of Enes Jefferson.

Which may also partially answer your question as to why they won't hire Malone. With Malone's tendancy to pop off to the media, you are quite likely to have a situation where Karl works with Jefferson, nothing changes and then Malone goes on TV to say how Big Al lacks intensity, or he doesn't "want it" bad enough - thereby, indirectly, passing judgement on the organization that has already paid him 30+ million dollars to be their go to guy. Something tells me Greggies ego may be a little too fragile for that.

Which may also partially answer your question as to why they won't hire Malone. With Malone's tendancy to pop off to the media, you are quite likely to have a situation where Karl works with Jefferson, nothing changes and then Malone goes on TV to say how Big Al lacks intensity, or he doesn't "want it" bad enough - thereby, indirectly, passing judgement on the organization that has already paid him 30+ million dollars to be their go to guy. Something tells me Greggies ego may be a little too fragile for that.

Doesn't Al do that himself?

We all know Karl Malone the Hall of Famer. Maybe we are forgetting Karl the thorn in the Miller's side. And I for one, did not know much about Karl the businessman or current coach Karl.

Karl the coach:
He is already helping at Louisiana Tech as an assistant strength and conditioning coach.
https://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/karl_malone_350319.html
You have to wonder why he is not doing more there and why recruits aren't flocking to the school to work out with him. Is it Karl, or LA tech? The team does have a good record, though, Karl looks to have limited involvement.

Karl the businessman:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/765586197/From-the-Mailman-to-a-businessman-Karl-Malone-still-delivers-the-goods.html?pg=all

Karl the thorn in the Miller's side:
Karl and the Miller's cut ties in the Auto industry. Here is the LHM blog entry from 2010. Hard to why this happened.
https://blogs.lhm.com/gmiller/2010/02/malone/

Don't forget when Malone was very vocal during the Sloan retirement fiasco. As a side note, this was my first impression of Greg. It was not a good one.
https://www.ksl.com/?nid=304&sid=19121256
classic line from this article:
Deron, on Karl Malone's comments that he got Jerry Sloan fired:
'I don't respond to people who talk about themselves in the third person.'

April 4, 2012 the feud ends.
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/53857925-87/miller-malone-jazz-karl.html.csp

I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of Greg Miller, but it's not hard to see that having Malone around means more drama. It always has since the days of Larry. IMO when you put together a team, the meshing of the personnel is critical. I really don't see Karl 'meshing'. Obviously the Jazz have thought about the pros and cons. Whether it is feedback/observations via LA Tech or just their personal history of drama that keeps them from bringing him on, it is clear that they have no intention of doing so. There is potential, but I don't blame the Jazz for passing on this one.

Yeah, I get why they'd be leery. I don't think anyone doesn't get it, even if we all wished the organization had more balls.

Yeah, I get why they'd be leery. I don't think anyone doesn't get it, even if we all wished the organization had more balls.
Definitely agree. I think it might work if Favors/Kanter worked out with him on their own time. It keeps Karl in check, because they can quit anytime they want and his little coaching dream goes up in smoke. At the same time the players appreciate it more because it was their idea.

I think they're concerned about all of the following;

1) Malone is too well liked.
2) Malone is too outspoken and would cause unrest with the fanbase with too much loose talk/jackpotting of the mouth.
3) Malone could become 'bigger' than the coaching staff and FO fairly easily .. it's not like there's much charisma around the program.
4) ^^^ They're skeered.

This is exactly how I feel. Especially the charisma or lack there of, Karl would instantly become the biggest figure in the organization.

Definitely agree. I think it might work if Favors/Kanter worked out with him on their own time. It keeps Karl in check, because they can quit anytime they want and his little coaching dream goes up in smoke. At the same time the players appreciate it more because it was their idea.

I don't think him being a full-time coach is realistic from any angle. It would have to be part-time for all parties involved. That the organization shows absolutely 0 interest in that speaks volumes about the organization and about Karl. I'm sorry, but there's no way that Michael Sanders has more to teach than Karl. Oh well.

Last edited: