What's new

Mailman: I'll work with the big men for free

I was against Malone joining the coaching staff because I believed his ego would overwhelm Ty and undermine him as head coach.
Now I am for Malone joining the coaching staff because I believe his ego would overwhelm Ty and undermine him as head coach.

Just to refresh some minds in case you're of the opinion Malone was only a jump-shooter and pick&roll player:
Malone's Left-block repetiore: Sweeping hook shot, pseudo-jump hook in which he kept both hands on the ball until it was above his shoulders, could roll into lane for over-hand baby-hook, roll into lane for under-hand scoop shot, dribble-pound fade-away jumper off either shoulder, no-dribble half-turn fade-away, inside-reverse pivot face-up game where he’d either shoot the baseline jumper or drive hard left,.
Right-block: Pseudo-jump hook keeping both hands on ball and kiss it off the glass, right-shoulder fallaway off either leg, Jack Sikma face-up fallaway.
That’s not taking into account Malone’s ability to draw fouls off the pump-fake or simply by taking the ball right into the defender with the sole intent of getting to the free throw line.

However in all practicality I don’t think that's what Malone should really be teaching Favors/Kanter. What Malone could do for them is much broader:

Things like teaching Kanter to establish deep-position, and use his body to seal his man (and protect the post-feeder which he often times leaves hanging out to dry), teaching Favors to keep 2-hands on the ball and power through (instead of shooting through) a defender’s outstretched arms inside. He could teach them the importance of stamina and running the floor hard – (Karl didn’t run hard just to get fastbreak layups/dunks, he ran hard to wear out his man to make his job easier as the game wore on) Kanter does a nice job getting up&down but sometimes I see Favors loafing a bit when the Jazz gain possession (although in fairness to D-Fav, he probably knows the chances of him getting the ball are small). Like Stock helped Deron learn the “spots” in the flex that he could get his shots, Malone could teach Favors&Kanter how to set their man up on cross-screen action and get point-blank looks at the basket (the cross-screen action that Corbin has largely scrapped because Big Al can’t score while catching the ball on the move). If Malone does help – I don’t think it would be as a long-term tutor or trainer but more as a 1-2 week session where he teaches tips, lessons and fundamentals.

Now with all that being said, I doubt any of this comes to fruition because if Utah was really 100% committed to helping Favors & Kanter become the best bigmen they could possibly be – you wouldn’t see 3-year averages like 20.2, 21.2, 21.8 mpg for Favors and 13.2 and 14.3 for Kanter. (Heck, Favors has more career starts for the Nets than he does for the Jazz.) Throw in Greg Miller’s ego and to me it’s a dead-end. Only way this happens is if public-pressure causes management to cave, and that certainly hasn’t affected the approach the franchise has taken this year.

Just to refresh some minds in case you're of the opinion Malone was only a jump-shooter and pick&roll player:
Malone's Left-block repetiore: Sweeping hook shot, pseudo-jump hook in which he kept both hands on the ball until it was above his shoulders, could roll into lane for over-hand baby-hook, roll into lane for under-hand scoop shot, dribble-pound fade-away jumper off either shoulder, no-dribble half-turn fade-away, inside-reverse pivot face-up game where he’d either shoot the baseline jumper or drive hard left,.
Right-block: Pseudo-jump hook keeping both hands on ball and kiss it off the glass, right-shoulder fallaway off either leg, Jack Sikma face-up fallaway.
That’s not taking into account Malone’s ability to draw fouls off the pump-fake or simply by taking the ball right into the defender with the sole intent of getting to the free throw line.

However in all practicality I don’t think that's what Malone should really be teaching Favors/Kanter. What Malone could do for them is much broader:

Things like teaching Kanter to establish deep-position, and use his body to seal his man (and protect the post-feeder which he often times leaves hanging out to dry), teaching Favors to keep 2-hands on the ball and power through (instead of shooting through) a defender’s outstretched arms inside. He could teach them the importance of stamina and running the floor hard – (Karl didn’t run hard just to get fastbreak layups/dunks, he ran hard to wear out his man to make his job easier as the game wore on) Kanter does a nice job getting up&down but sometimes I see Favors loafing a bit when the Jazz gain possession (although in fairness to D-Fav, he probably knows the chances of him getting the ball are small). Like Stock helped Deron learn the “spots” in the flex that he could get his shots, Malone could teach Favors&Kanter how to set their man up on cross-screen action and get point-blank looks at the basket (the cross-screen action that Corbin has largely scrapped because Big Al can’t score while catching the ball on the move). If Malone does help – I don’t think it would be as a long-term tutor or trainer but more as a 1-2 week session where he teaches tips, lessons and fundamentals.

Now with all that being said, I doubt any of this comes to fruition because if Utah was really 100% committed to helping Favors & Kanter become the best bigmen they could possibly be – you wouldn’t see 3-year averages like 20.2, 21.2, 21.8 mpg for Favors and 13.2 and 14.3 for Kanter. (Heck, Favors has more career starts for the Nets than he does for the Jazz.) Throw in Greg Miller’s ego and to me it’s a dead-end. Only way this happens is if public-pressure causes management to cave, and that certainly hasn’t affected the approach the franchise has taken this year.

Cue TheRockApplause.Gif

Pass this along to both the mailman via twitter and Greg Miller

Whats he going to tell them, run fast, jump high, dunk, rebound .... through my eyes ... blah blah blah ... WTF is he going to give them? I think they both work plenty hard, which is the main thing Karl would be able to bring to the table. No wonder everyone on here thinks your ****** smells terrible.

Really? What does any coach give a player then? If AJ can teach Kanter some things then why the hell can't Karl Malone? There is no NBA player big man that was better at running the pick and roll. Neither of these guys understand the pick and roll very well. Kanter could learn where best to position himself on the low box, how to seal guys off, how to strip the ball from guys, how to pass out of the double team and how to pass in traffic. I forget that Kanter and Favors are already finished products that can't learn anything from one of the greatest PF to play the game.

Deserves rep the mods think you don't.

Which may also partially answer your question as to why they won't hire Malone. With Malone's tendancy to pop off to the media, you are quite likely to have a situation where Karl works with Jefferson, nothing changes and then Malone goes on TV to say how Big Al lacks intensity, or he doesn't "want it" bad enough - thereby, indirectly, passing judgement on the organization that has already paid him 30+ million dollars to be their go to guy. Something tells me Greggies ego may be a little too fragile for that.

IF this is true then Greg needs to sell the team because I don't see the Lakers or the Celtics crying when Magic goes off on the organization or a player. I do not see the Celtics worrying about Garnett going off. Jordan ripped teammates and even the organization. Again it is simply silly to think that Karl couldn't help Favors or Kanter improve their game. According to Karl, he would do it for free so send the guys to "boot camp" in the summer to work with Karl for a few weeks.

Malone just spoutin off trying to get attention. He could have been working out in the summer with those guys. Remember, Hornacek worked with AK on the side before becoming a Jazz assistant. Karl made his own bed, so to speak, by bitching about his contract every time he negotiated a new one. Larry H. isn't aorund any more, but I'll bet both Gail and Greg have some very strong feelings towards Karl.

And I also agree with those who have noted that Malone will overshadow Corbin and even the players he works with. The best players don't always make the best coaches...or front office executives. If Karl wants to work with the bigs, he should do so in the ffseason (instead of, or in addition to, them going to P3). See if he can contribute out of the spotlight or is just doing it to get attention.

Malone just spoutin off trying to get attention. He could have been working out in the summer with those guys. Remember, Hornacek worked with AK on the side before becoming a Jazz assistant. Karl made his own bed, so to speak, by bitching about his contract every time he negotiated a new one. Larry H. isn't aorund any more, but I'll bet both Gail and Greg have some very strong feelings towards Karl.

And I also agree with those who have noted that Malone will overshadow Corbin and even the players he works with. The best players don't always make the best coaches...or front office executives. If Karl wants to work with the bigs, he should do so in the ffseason (instead of, or in addition to, them going to P3). See if he can contribute out of the spotlight or is just doing it to get attention.

So making their families franchise what it was for over a decade doesn't earn him any favor?

I think its the whole "shadow of Karl Malone" aspect more than anything. Bringing in Malone instantly puts a lot of pressure on the 20/21 year old Kanter and Favors to try and live up to the Salt Lake legend. Both in the eyes of the fans and the media. The expectations would do more harm than good.

I think its the whole "shadow of Karl Malone" aspect more than anything. Bringing in Malone instantly puts a lot of pressure on the 20/21 year old Kanter and Favors to try and live up to the Salt Lake legend. Both in the eyes of the fans and the media. The expectations would do more harm than good.

wut

The best players don't always make the best coaches...or front office executives.

Not even close to the same things.

I was against Malone joining the coaching staff because I believed his ego would overwhelm Ty and undermine him as head coach.
Now I am for Malone joining the coaching staff because I believe his ego would overwhelm Ty and undermine him as head coach.

Winner.

JUST KIDDING I SPOKE TOO SOON HOLY CRAP.

I imagine that some of you are right and management has their misgivings about how things might work out long-term with the outspoken Malone. But, here's the simple solution: TRY IT. If it doesn't work out, fine. But when a two-time MVP, second all-time leading scorer, and a guy who committed himself to excellent fitness and loyalty to the organization tells you he will work with your young big men for FREE, you friggin do it and see what happens.

I'd guess they'd worry tht he would undermine Ty and/or the FO. The more pressing question: is that a bad thing?

I'd guess they'd worry tht he would undermine Ty and/or the FO. The more pressing question: is that a bad thing?

It's exactly how i feel and frustrating not to see any answers or comments coming from the organization. I am sure Favors and Kanter would do all things to take some tricks from him. It's even sad to see having a discussion about Malone mentoring the youngsters, come on now, just do not talk and make it happen.