What's new

Mailman: I'll work with the big men for free

mellow

"All they've got to do is call me," Malone said during an interview with ESPN 700's Hans Olsen and James Rust on Wednesday afternoon. "I'll work with the big men for free for a while until it work."

PLEASE GREG! Stop being....whatever.

url]

I'm not convinced Karl will be a functioning coach and not just a giant african american redneck lunatic. I just am not sure what he really brings to the table.

I think they're concerned about all of the following;

1) Malone is too well liked.
2) Malone is too outspoken and would cause unrest with the fanbase with too much loose talk/jackpotting of the mouth.
3) Malone could become 'bigger' than the coaching staff and FO fairly easily .. it's not like there's much charisma around the program.
4) ^^^ They're skeered.

"All they've got to do is call me," Malone said during an interview with ESPN 700's Hans Olsen and James Rust on Wednesday afternoon. "I'll work with the big men for free for a while until it work."

PLEASE GREG! Stop being....whatever.

[url]https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865572517/Utah-Jazz-notebook-Good-price-but-will-team-take-Karl-Malone-up-on-his-coaching-offer.html[/url][/QUOTE]

If anything Malone would make the bigs better in, and understand the nuances of the pick'n roll. Why the jazz org. doesn't want Malone to share his knowledge of the game with our bigs is beyond me.

Good lord, Malone is all but begging to coach. Malone had an extremely high basketball IQ, and although he doesn't sound tremendously intellectual, he has a nice blend of BBIQ, work ethic, and competitive attitude. I think he could teach our bigs a lot, particularly Enes. Just have Malone do private sessions according to what Ty wants them to work on the most. Malone will throw in plenty of his own stuff too. If it doesn't work out, don't do it any more. I also want us to trade for Bledsoe and send him to Washington (Stockton's house).

I'm not convinced Karl will be a functioning coach and not just a giant african american redneck lunatic. I just am not sure what he really brings to the table.

2) Malone is too outspoken and would cause unrest with the fanbase with too much loose talk/jackpotting of the mouth.
3) Malone could become 'bigger' than the coaching staff and FO fairly easily .. it's not like there's much charisma around the program.
4) ^^^ They're skeered.

They don't need to make him a full time coach on the staff. Why not let Kanter, Favors, and Sap (if he resigns) work out with Malone in the off season.

How about 19 years of NBA experience. A work ethic few players could even match. An understanding of the Jazz system and despite what people think a high BB IQ. Yes, Karl's personality might be an issue (he is bigger than life figure with no filter communication style) but he brings a lot to the table considering his accomplishments.

Karl doesn't have to be hired on as an assistant. He could be hired on as a special consultant or the Jazz could just approach Karl like they do Stockton to see if Karl would spend time with Favors/Kanter during the off season.

Personally, I think it is pretty petty and stupid for the organization not to use expertise that Malone has.

4) ^^^ They're skeered.

yup

How about 19 years of NBA experience. A work ethic few players could even match. An understanding of the Jazz system and despite what people think a high BB IQ. Yes, Karl's personality might be an issue (he is bigger than life figure with no filter communication style) but he brings a lot to the table considering his accomplishments.

Karl doesn't have to be hired on as an assistant. He could be hired on as a special consultant or the Jazz could just approach Karl like they do Stockton to see if Karl would spend time with Favors/Kanter during the off season.

Personally, I think it is pretty petty and stupid for the organization not to use expertise that Malone has.

I'll give you work ethic but as far as low post game, which is what Favors and Kanter need, I just don't see him being that answer. He was a P&R guy, ran the floor, and developed a great mid range game. I guess he probably wouldn't hurt but I dont think he is a solution.

Honest question. Is there anything contractually impeding any players from working out with anybody they want in the off-season, or any other time there is not a team function scheduled?

Did you watch Karl his whole career or just the championship years? Karl was dominate down low in his early years. It was only later that he became more of a mid-range guy. Both players need to learn how to run the pick and roll and who better to teach them all the ins/outs. I can't think of any big man who knows the pick and roll better than Karl Malone.

I'll give you work ethic but as far as low post game, which is what Favors and Kanter need, I just don't see him being that answer. He was a P&R guy, ran the floor, and developed a great mid range game. I guess he probably wouldn't hurt but I dont think he is a solution.

Swing. Miss.

it's not like there's much charisma around the program.

Ding ding ding....We have a winner.

Jerry was a personality, Deron was a personality. Larry was a personality. Their replacements have no charisma, no charm. Mo and Earl have a little of 'it', but can't back it up with thier play.

I think the fans would turn out in bunches to see Karl Malone on the bench dressing down a player or staring down a ref or some other antic. Karl could hold considerable power, that scares them.

Holy ****, I miss LHM.

If your org can't handle Karl ****ing Malone's enthusiasm to get involved in player development, then that's all I need to know... your org has serious (paranoid) management problems. Period.

I think it sucks how little Stock and Malone have been involved. I mean, ****, we've become one of the worst PnR teams in the league... how should we address that???!?

Did you watch Karl his whole career or just the championship years? Karl was dominate down low in his early years. It was only later that he became more of a mid-range guy. Both players need to learn how to run the pick and roll and who better to teach them all the ins/outs. I can't think of any big man who knows the pick and roll better than Karl Malone.

Not with svelte moves, but with power and athleticism.

Karl destroyed people on the low block, it wasn't until he was older and the entire league had retooled their line-ups with bigger stronger players to stop Karl (and others) that he evolved into a jump shooting threat.

But he did evolve and can teach the kids all aspects, would make him all the better coach. But back to the post. Teams would routinley send there center to guard Karl, and the PF to double, leaving Eaton alone on the 3pt line.

Karl was smart, he ran right to his spot on the block, never letting the defender have a chance to push him off the block. (Al posting up from 12 feet out makes me ill)

If the defender didn't seal Karl from the baseline quick enough Karl would step through with his right foot and seal the defender on his back and the pass would come baseline almost gaurenteeing a foul and most times a bucket.

If the the defender overplayed the baseline Karl pivoted on his right foot, sealed the defender by stepping his left foot into the lane and when he got the ball he could slam or running hook (Enes has demonstrated a similar running hook).

It was the early postioning and the smart footwork before the pass that made Karl great and it would be easy to teach to the kids. No need to teach them eloborate dream shakes, or the Al Jefferson pump and wait.

Isn't it worth a try for even just for developing their low post game? And improve other areas that Malone was good at it especially for Kanter? I think he would definately add much more to their game than Ewing did on Howard and Ewing get paid for it. Malone saying i'll work for free cause he got a sense of belonging to Jazz nation even just for that its a great opportunity if you want to keep on with those young guys and want them to be your future. Just let sensei teach 'em. And he is a good teacher if you ask me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MN6JM-7Xo