What's new

Mormons and Gays.

Your question is operating from the assumption that I think two men should be allowed to adopt children together, an opinion I do not necessarily share. So it just doesn't make much sense.

Even today, some men get married, have kids, and then wind up divorced/widowed and in committed homosexuals unions. Some men are bisexual, and have kids out of wedlock, and for various reasons wind up being the primary parent. Adoption is a separate issue. I was thinking more along the line of step-parents. If my wife dies, I remarry, and then I die, my second wife will be able to care for kids as a parent. Legally, that's can't happen easily for two men or two women.

To reiterate the point I was making, if you take heterosexual sex out of the marriage equation (something that I feel certainly *does* belong in marriage, and has since time immemorial, to the extent that having a non-consummated marriage is grounds for annulment in most states), then why leave sex in the equation at all? You might be one of the few who believe that two non-gay roommates should be allowed to marry, but even if so, most don't share that view.

OK. However, that doesn't really answer my question of what further reason you would need to allow two men to get married, beyond the ones I have stated. To be clear, that places no onus on you. I accept tha this was your last post.

Let's imagine a world where nobody is screwing anybody.............................

and I'm not talking about intercourse.
That means y'all up the moral high horse need to step the **** down.

I really don't want to start one of THOSE threads again, but...

I have NEVER heard a decent argument FOR it. The arguments for all boil down to "people should be able to marry whoever they want". To me, though, that's clearly not a reasonable argument because the vast majority of people in this country (including those who support gay marriage) are against incestuous marriages, polygamous marriages, non-sexual marriages (think "blood brothers", etc.).

1-14 of Jgolds list of pros and cons are all pretty good logical reasons for allowing gay marriage. For what its worth polygamy should be legal also, as long as they arent marrying 12 year olds I dont see the problem. Incestuous relationships are illegal becuase of the harm it can do to the offspring, so lets keep that illegal. non sexual marriages though does anyone really care about that ?

Let's imagine a world where nobody is screwing anybody.............................

and I'm not talking about intercourse.
That means y'all up the moral high horse need to step the **** down.

To me those on their moral high horses are just as bad as those that feel I have to accept them because they are gay or some other such nonsense.

I don't understand why you think this is a question. You can't tell the difference between a prepubescent and a postpubscent boy? You don't think age of consent laws apply?

Even as a straight guy, I can tell that my sons friend look different at 19 than they did at fifteen. Shoulders grow out, hair thickens, etc. I agree that if I were sexually interested in men, I'd know the markers even better.

Thanks for the responses. I read half the following page and it explained the psychological aspects well enough for me: https://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_molestation.html

To me those on their moral high horses are just as bad as those that feel I have to accept them because they are gay or some other such nonsense.

Back up from "acceptance" to an earlier point in the encounter with somebody... Now imagine recognizing the person as something other than a thing to be accepted or not accepted.... since, obviously any person is much more than that thing. Find the other stuff; be inspired by it.

There you go. Tip #1 on how to not be a douchenozzle.

Back up from "acceptance" to an earlier point in the encounter with somebody... Now imagine recognizing the person as something other than a thing to be accepted or not accepted.... since, obviously any person is much more than that thing. Find the other stuff; be inspired by it.

You might want to get off your own high horse before you complain about others sitting on theirs.

I am for gay marriage. However I do nto have to accept someone because they are gay. That is what I have been presented with numerous times. It is a bunch of malarkey. I do not have to accept them because they are gay anymore than they have to accept me because I am straight.

Keep in mind I support full an equal rights for all people regardless of sexual orientation. However the notion that because someone is gay and I therefore have to have a blanket acceptance of everything theyis crap. They are not askign for equal treatment then but special treatment. Hell no.

Now if you could only heal yourself.

Although I think you may have misinterpreted exactly what Stoked was trying to convey, you make a great point: sexual orientation is only as important to a friendly relationship as you make it. If you have no intention of having sex with someone, it really has no bearing on how well you can get along, IMO.

That being said;

You're probably the last guy that should be calling anyone a douchenozzle.

Listened a few minutes to Rod Arquette on 570AM last night. They were talking about how this issue affects the religious power over their own "definition of sin" being taken from their hands and put in the hands of politicians.

Used to be, in Roman times and other nations, "religion" was a tool of governance just like modern education is today. But under the concepts of the American Revolution, with the State being restricted from top-down public management, things could be different. . . .

The reason people set up "churches" could be all about the "Freedom of Assembly", the right of people to associate with others based on their own judgments, desires, and moral definitions. Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech and the declaration that Federal Government shall not have the power to set up a State-Sanctioned Religion should pretty well mean the Federal Government should not be in this mud bath, nor in the Education business. Neither should the State Governments be setting up social standards of the class that do not protect life, liberty, property, speech, individually-chosen relationships/contracts, organizations based on voluntary associations, etc etc etc etc.

Protecting children from incest, forced marriages to "authorities" of any kind. .. . from being propagandized by marxists and other social agenda pushers on the state dollar. . . . . yeah that's what a good government should do.

I might still think gays are mentally stunted and irresponsibly displacing long-term priorities with short-term decisions to avoid challenges to personal development which would lead to a better life. Anyone who wants to define themselves on a single issue is mentally stunting their own growth. But when I run for office, I say the government has no right to treat any people different, and would re-write the laws to make that happen. What you have to look for in legislation is protection of individuals and groups from harm or "management agendas" not of their own choosing. . . . and procedures of governance that don't impose hardships on any "class", or benefits on "influential" individuals or groups. . . . equal rights under the laws.

And "progressives" who are buying the current global propaganda fads which are being exploited to increase state power are pretty much being used, manipulated, and turned into mental midgets, too. Amazing how similar today's "progressives" are with the feudal liege class of peasant overlords in Medieval Europe. . . yup get out there in the Kings' forest and make sure nobody is cutting wood or taking game to feed themselves, y'all. Make sure nobody can earn enough to build their own castle. . . yeah. . . . make all the peasants live in mud huts with grass roofs and thresh floors infested with rats, and pay 50% of their harvest to the Lords. . . . yeah. . . . that's "social justice" all right. . . .

Gays who are all about making the government the vehicle for legislating morals and social standards for people are short-sighted. If we continue to accept government having that kind of power, all it takes is 51% of the voters to legislate any moral or social agenda. . . . . including "fixing" gays or "deviants" of any kind. . . . say "Mormons" included, in "re-education camps" staffed by ideological or religious zealots wearing jack-boots and holding "panel" meetings about who gets to live or die.

I have to admit, I was one who believed the LDS Church would be all onboard with just letting legislated laws determine their doctrines and acceptance criteria, and it is refreshing to me to see some LDS wanting to stand up and publicly discuss the impacts of progressive ideological fads on their morals, and their existence as an organization of believers in a particular family concept. . . . not so much refreshing to see them empowered to write the definition of "family" for the State.

It's as unconstitutional for a church to use the State as a vehicle for enforcement of a moral code as it would be for a particular group of sexual fadists to make the State enforce their codes on others. In deeds or speech.

Although I think you may have misinterpreted exactly what Stoked was trying to convey, you make a great point: sexual orientation is only as important to a friendly relationship as you make it. If you have no intention of having sex with someone, it really has no bearing on how well you can get along, IMO.

That being said;

You're probably the last guy that should be calling anyone a douchenozzle.

Exactly. Sexual orientation is a none factor to me, as are race and religion, on wether I have to accept someone. I will do that based on what kind of person you are.

Real life example. My younger sister was friends with this guy that I did not like. At all. He was foul mouthed just to be foul mouthed, rude to my sister, ungrateful and arrogant. He is also gay. Well we were all at lunch on day in a Wendys. Him, my sister, my friend and I. He was being his usual self and I called him out on it and really laid into him. Put him in his place hard. Well his retort was that I was homphobic and didn't like him because he was gay. At which point I turned to my friend and told him that since this douche has me all figured out that we couldn't be friends anymore since he was gay as well.

It never even crossed this guys mind that I didn't like him because he was an *** to my sister. No it automatically had to be because he was gay and I wanted to hold him down. That is my example of how I was using acceptance. It is being turned from equal rights, which they are entitled to and should have immediately, to blanket acceptance of everything that a gay man or woman says or does.

Yeah. Remember the good ol' days when you could dislike someone just because they were an ***, and not be a homophobe, racist, sexist, bigot?

Yeah. Remember the good ol' days when you could dislike someone just because they were an ***, and not be a homophobe, racist, sexist, bigot?

Ah that good ole days before the hypocrisy and political correctness took hold.

Ah that good ole days before the hypocrisy and political correctness took hold.

back when you could call some one names and tease them and not end up on the 6:00 news in the school bully addition. look how strong and better it made all of us. our kids our all going to be politically correct pansies...

I might still think gays are mentally stunted and irresponsibly displacing long-term priorities with short-term decisions to avoid challenges to personal development which would lead to a better life. Anyone who wants to define themselves on a single issue is mentally stunting their own growth.

"Mentally stunted" may be a bit harsh, but I agree that there are negative side effects to defining yourself by one characteristic.

There are a few of comedians who are gay, who are probably really funny, but I don't like because ALL their material is about being gay. I don't have an issue with gay material generally, but when that's your only comic vehicle, the funny starts to run dry quickly. The same could be said about fat comics who only do fat material...etc.

But I digress... I don't want to like or dislike someone because they're gay, or in spite of it, I want to like someone because they're good in many different ways. They may or may not just happen to be gay, but that shouldn't be the linchpin in the relationship.

A lot of you seem to be hung up on the idea that you feel you HAVE TO like gay people. WHo the **** said anything about having to like anyone or anything in this conversation. This **** is telling. Gay marriage isn't forcing you to do anything. It allows members of society the same privileges and basic right as the rest of society. Thats it. It's not about you. It's about something you can never truely understand.

You're white dudes in 'Merica. Why do you feel so threatened by this stuff?

Listened a few minutes to Rod Arquette on 570AM last night. They were talking about how this issue affects the religious power over their own "definition of sin" being taken from their hands and put in the hands of politicians.

Used to be, in Roman times and other nations, "religion" was a tool of governance just like modern education is today. But under the concepts of the American Revolution, with the State being restricted from top-down public management, things could be different. . . .

The reason people set up "churches" could be all about the "Freedom of Assembly", the right of people to associate with others based on their own judgments, desires, and moral definitions. Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech and the declaration that Federal Government shall not have the power to set up a State-Sanctioned Religion should pretty well mean the Federal Government should not be in this mud bath, nor in the Education business. Neither should the State Governments be setting up social standards of the class that do not protect life, liberty, property, speech, individually-chosen relationships/contracts, organizations based on voluntary associations, etc etc etc etc.

Protecting children from incest, forced marriages to "authorities" of any kind. .. . from being propagandized by marxists and other social agenda pushers on the state dollar. . . . . yeah that's what a good government should do.

I might still think gays are mentally stunted and irresponsibly displacing long-term priorities with short-term decisions to avoid challenges to personal development which would lead to a better life. Anyone who wants to define themselves on a single issue is mentally stunting their own growth. But when I run for office, I say the government has no right to treat any people different, and would re-write the laws to make that happen. What you have to look for in legislation is protection of individuals and groups from harm or "management agendas" not of their own choosing. . . . and procedures of governance that don't impose hardships on any "class", or benefits on "influential" individuals or groups. . . . equal rights under the laws.

And "progressives" who are buying the current global propaganda fads which are being exploited to increase state power are pretty much being used, manipulated, and turned into mental midgets, too. Amazing how similar today's "progressives" are with the feudal liege class of peasant overlords in Medieval Europe. . . yup get out there in the Kings' forest and make sure nobody is cutting wood or taking game to feed themselves, y'all. Make sure nobody can earn enough to build their own castle. . . yeah. . . . make all the peasants live in mud huts with grass roofs and thresh floors infested with rats, and pay 50% of their harvest to the Lords. . . . yeah. . . . that's "social justice" all right. . . .

Gays who are all about making the government the vehicle for legislating morals and social standards for people are short-sighted. If we continue to accept government having that kind of power, all it takes is 51% of the voters to legislate any moral or social agenda. . . . . including "fixing" gays or "deviants" of any kind. . . . say "Mormons" included, in "re-education camps" staffed by ideological or religious zealots wearing jack-boots and holding "panel" meetings about who gets to live or die.

I have to admit, I was one who believed the LDS Church would be all onboard with just letting legislated laws determine their doctrines and acceptance criteria, and it is refreshing to me to see some LDS wanting to stand up and publicly discuss the impacts of progressive ideological fads on their morals, and their existence as an organization of believers in a particular family concept. . . . not so much refreshing to see them empowered to write the definition of "family" for the State.

It's as unconstitutional for a church to use the State as a vehicle for enforcement of a moral code as it would be for a particular group of sexual fadists to make the State enforce their codes on others. In deeds or speech.

Homosexuality is as fadist as cell division. Where marriage is relatively new. I would call us married folks the sexual fadists.

I am for gay marriage. However I do nto have to accept someone because they are gay.
<strike>In this context, what does "acceptance" mean to you:?</strike>

OK, you answered that later. Based on you description of your sister's friend, I don't think anyone would argue you have to approve of his behavior or like him as an individual. However, that's an unusual description of "acceptance", and generally not the one intended by the activists I've read on the subject.

Last edited: