What's new

Never Trump

The best thing the Republican think tanks have done is create the illusion that the media is liberal and has an agenda. Which is one of the dumbest things people have bought into and believe. Outside of fox news and the joke news shows, most news organization don't have an agenda besides reporting news and keeping up ratings. Yes some reporters have liberal biases on some issues but some have conservative biases in issues. Most try very hard to put their biases aside and report the news. Most editors look for biases in reports and work to eliminate them.

This liberal media propoganda really got a big push during the Bush jr election. After the election studies showed that Bush got more positive media stories and less negative ones than Gore during the campaign. Meaning technically media leaned right.

One major issue is that most people get their news from social media which is a random assortment of mostly ****. Most of which is not actual news. I'm also guessing social media stories across the USA was more conservative this cycle based on the survey's and studies in seeing so far.

"The media" is not responsible for these pretests. Despite me thinking they are silly they are people upset about who we elected despite the majority not selecting him and worried basic civil rights that have been fought for might be taken away. I'm ready to stand up for those rights but I'll wait until there are actually trying to take them away but I understand the preemptive strike and the worry.

End of rant.

Tldr version: shaking my fist at everyone from my porch.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

I've been reading on Trump's plan so far, and I feel pretty demoralized. Attacks on immigration and trade, expanding military investment, doubling down on the "war on drugs", and other similar nonsense. The few things that I do like, such as introducing term limits, look DOA.

I keep telling myself that it's just 4 years. :/

Really? Say it aint so. Progress has been being made finally!

8. Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.

That's what we need. New task forces and increased law enforcement spending and presence to tackle a non-existing problem!

Here's the full plan for those who get their news from JF.

* FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

* THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;

* FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;

* FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

* SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers:

* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars' worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.

* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America's water and environmental infrastructure

Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:

* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won't take them back

* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

Next, I will work with Congress to introduce the following broader legislative measures and fight for their passage within the first 100 days of my Administration:

1. Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.

2. End The Offshoring Act. Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off their workers in order to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free.

3. American Energy & Infrastructure Act. Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral.

4. School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

5. Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

6. Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act. Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-side childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families.

7. End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

8. Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.
Restoring National Security Act. Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values

9. Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.

Using the media as a scapegoat for what Donald is QUOTED as saying is a copout. People who can read or watch the TV don't need the media to hype Trump's actions. They can see it for themselves. It's right in front of their eyes.

Few people see it in front of their eyes. Almost all see this stuff through the eyes of the media.

Tons of times things are taken out of context or viewpoints are shaped based on which portions of what is said is passed on, or emphasized.

I am just pointing this out, I am in no way condoning the things Trump has said with or without context. Just making this small point.

You cannot escape the shade and shaping media plays on the information we receive.

We just have to keep that in mind with the different media outlets to understand the angle in which it is given.

Few people see it in front of their eyes. Almost all see this stuff through the eyes of the media.

Tons of times things are taken out of context or viewpoints are shaped based on which portions of what is said is passed on, or emphasized.

I am just pointing this out, I am in no way condoning the things Trump has said with or without context. Just making this small point.

You cannot escape the shade and shaping media plays on the information we receive.

We just have to keep that in mind with the different media outlets to understand the angle in which it is given.
While it is true the media shapes how we view things. The media is also thousands of different people telling things from a thousand different view points. They don't all say the same message. But if you are someone who only listens to fox news all day or religiously listens to some talking head and take their view only, your opinion might be skewed. Thankfully we have a free press and it's not controlled by the government or any other group.

Some of you guys have literally posted the same exact thing for months and months, with zero reflection on your thoughts and opinions and wether or not it lines up with reality, or if you are just buying into someone else's narrative.

Do you think any of these issues have nuance to them, or just 100% Trump is a racist, sexist, dangerous person?? Truth is, for a lot of you, you decided what you thought months ago, then have selectively listened to and "fed" yourself with the same regurgitated info that confirms what you originally thought.

Why do some of you have to be so militant about your thoughts and opinions? It's a big world out their bros, with all types of thoughts and opinions from people from all sorts of walks of life.

I don't like Trump.
I generally don't agree with the Ugli version I see here, but that may be the Ute fandom that affects my view of him.

I don't think his point here is a bad one. The truth of the issues are probably somewhere in the middle. I also agree with the extreme feelings and militant view/approach to some posters opinions talk. I generally stay out of many conversations here due to that nature of the conversations. I don't care if we disagree, but the way things go many times here is a downer and complete waste of my time to even try to talk about it.

"whoever sees an issue not in my way is an idiot and a moran!"-the end that's how I read many posts here, but when I see sincere discussion, it can be refreshing.

Usually there are valid points from both sides of a standpoint.
I think Ugli makes a good point.
I also think many others have valid points.
Thanks to Siro for posting the Trump plans. Should be a mix of entertaining and scary.
Do I want to wade through the crap to get to the good points.... usually not these days.

/2cents

While it is true the media shapes how we view things. The media is also thousands of different people telling things from a thousand different view points. They don't all say the same message. But if you are someone who only listens to fox news all day or religiously listens to some talking head and take their view only, your opinion might be skewed. Thankfully we have a free press and it's not controlled by the government or any other group.

It's controlled by money, like anything else... but it's still controlled.

I vaguely remember this now, Trump railing against the Electoral College after the 2012 election (he mistakenly thought that Obama had won the college and lost the popular vote):

https://mashable.com/2012/11/06/trump-reacts-to-election/#LOXalk2WSkq0

"We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266034630820507648

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/266038556504494082

Amazing.

Well he's not wrong. The electoral college is severely outdated and needs to go away.

But if the outcome had been reversed would you be quoting this still? Or would it conveniently be ignored?

The best thing the Republican think tanks have done is create the illusion that the media is liberal and has an agenda. Which is one of the dumbest things people have bought into and believe. Outside of fox news and the joke news shows, most news organization don't have an agenda besides reporting news and keeping up ratings. Yes some reporters have liberal biases on some issues but some have conservative biases in issues. Most try very hard to put their biases aside and report the news. Most editors look for biases in reports and work to eliminate them.

This liberal media propoganda really got a big push during the Bush jr election. After the election studies showed that Bush got more positive media stories and less negative ones than Gore during the campaign. Meaning technically media leaned right.

One major issue is that most people get their news from social media which is a random assortment of mostly ****. Most of which is not actual news. I'm also guessing social media stories across the USA was more conservative this cycle based on the survey's and studies in seeing so far.

"The media" is not responsible for these pretests. Despite me thinking they are silly they are people upset about who we elected despite the majority not selecting him and worried basic civil rights that have been fought for might be taken away. I'm ready to stand up for those rights but I'll wait until there are actually trying to take them away but I understand the preemptive strike and the worry.

End of rant.

Tldr version: shaking my fist at everyone from my porch.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

[MENTION=178]gregbroncs[/MENTION]ter insisting that the media business is not in it for ratings an money is hilarious. Of course they are! There are really people who still believe 24/7 news is not big business? Really?

Many years ago, I had friend here in Salt Lake City who worked as a reporter for KSL TV news. When he resigned his job, he told me about how they select their stories, rewrite them, and emphasize things according to a sort of narrative management wanted to push. About the same time, a KSL radio talk show host named Bob Lee was pushed out the door because he refused to follow the management narrative. Bob Lee was a real journalist, and a committed American who was passionate for truth.

As a boy delivering Deseret News newspaper, I "delivered" to William Smart who was the editor. I was also friends with the son of the head of KSL TV, and a brother-in-law to their KSL's business manager, and I worked for a former LDS Church Sunday School President, and was neighbors to the LDS Primary President. I have family relations who were, and are, even today, members of the Council on Foreign Relations and it's Salt Lake subsidiary Committee on Foreign Relations.

You idyll9ic fantasy of a free Press hasn't existed in America since the US Civil War, bro. All the "Right People" know where their bread is buttered, and who bakes and butters it, and they make damn sure it fits their preferred narrative. If you are going to rock their boat, they'll stop at nothing to marginalize you and degrade you. Our courts and judges know where their butter comes from too.

I think Trump understands all this, and I don't think he is really that much of a boat rocker, but I think he does believe in American ideals of opportunity and success.

Well he's not wrong. The electoral college is severely outdated and needs to go away.

But if the outcome had been reversed would you be quoting this still? Or would it conveniently be ignored?

He not only criticized the electoral college but also called on people to march on washington and fight due to romney winning the popular vote, which he didn't actually win but hilary in fact did win. Now there are people marching and fighting. I dont know if irony is the right word or reap what you sew is the right phrase, but definitely lol worthy.

Here's what philosopher Richard Rorty said nearly 20 years ago (stolen from jacobinmag.com. Suck it Dalamon!):

Members of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white-collar workers — themselves desperately afraid of being downsized — are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else. At that point, something will crack.

The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for — someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots . . . One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past forty years by black and brown Americans, and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion . . . All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet.

Prescient as ****.

He not only criticized the electoral college but also called on people to march on washington and fight due to romney winning the popular vote, which he didn't actually win but hilary in fact did win. Now there are people marching and fighting. I dont know if irony is the right word or reap what you sew is the right phrase, but definitely lol worthy.

Sheaves%20with%20Reap.gif

aid254185-728px-Sew-Chain-Stitch-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

I did that for Colton.

[MENTION=178]gregbroncs[/MENTION]ter insisting that the media business is not in it for ratings an money is hilarious. Of course they are! There are really people who still believe 24/7 news is not big business? Really?
As I stated in what you quoted I do understand ratings are a big part of the media. Ratings are important to stay in business. Hence why fox news is around. However giving interest pieces and reporting news varies greatly from organizations without agendas to push on people. Keeping rating up is giving people good news and pieces that appeal to their audience that greatly varies. Big media groups are out to make money. That is why I try and watch read and hold accountable news for reporting accurately and doing a good job. That is why there are some great news out there and some great reporters. Yes roughly half the country leans left but half the country leans right so I guess our news wants to appeal to them to keep their rating up... Since that is how they make money.

Many years ago, I had friend here in Salt Lake City who worked as a reporter for KSL TV news. When he resigned his job, he told me about how they select their stories, rewrite them, and emphasize things according to a sort of narrative management wanted to push. About the same time, a KSL radio talk show host named Bob Lee was pushed out the door because he refused to follow the management narrative. Bob Lee was a real journalist, and a committed American who was passionate for truth.

As a boy delivering Deseret News newspaper, I "delivered" to William Smart who was the editor. I was also friends with the son of the head of KSL TV, and a brother-in-law to their KSL's business manager, and I worked for a former LDS Church Sunday School President, and was neighbors to the LDS Primary President. I have family relations who were, and are, even today, members of the Council on Foreign Relations and it's Salt Lake subsidiary Committee on Foreign Relations.

You idyll9ic fantasy of a free Press hasn't existed in America since the US Civil War, bro. All the "Right People" know where their bread is buttered, and who bakes and butters it, and they make damn sure it fits their preferred narrative. If you are going to rock their boat, they'll stop at nothing to marginalize you and degrade you. Our courts and judges know where their butter comes from too.

I think Trump understands all this, and I don't think he is really that much of a boat rocker, but I think he does believe in American ideals of opportunity and success.

My wife is an editor for KSL (as well as many others) I am very familiar with how their articles are selected and edited. I am also neighbors with an anchor on the local news and talk with him frequently and other anchors he is friends with. My wife has very rarely been told anything about the articles she selects and edits that are published every day. The only agenda pushed on her is sometimes they feel some interest articles are not family friendly and they want them rewritten. That is extremely rare. None of the other news organizations ask her to do that.

Independent studies have shown that reports in the media have a slight right leaning. That is because that is what most people want to watch and that controls what they generally report. However that right leaning in media is very slight. Other studies have shown that individuals in media have a very slight leaning left but it is slight and it correlates with similar left leaning of college educated Americans, which most of them are. You obviously have bought into conspiracy theories fed to you. Your narrative is word for word from far right think tanks and the ideas. You ignore all the independent studies and research about media in various forms and believe in what you heard your favorite radio guy or the website that has an agenda told you.

People saying the media is against Trump for reporting what he says and does make me laugh. I guess they did sweep the whole Clinton email thing under the rug right? They didnt say anything bad against her. Except there were more negative media stories this year about Clinton than Trump from major news organizations. So maybe you are on to something all of the major media must have had a right wing agenda right? That is based on your theory at least which doesnt hold up well...

You are also assuming people listen to 1 news organization where the majority of intelligent and educated (not necessarily referring to college educated) people take the time to research what they hear, listen to multiple news outlets and believe what they hear at face value.

The vast majority of people who use KSL for their news go to the online site. You probably do not know this based on what you are saying but the vast majority of their articles and lots of other news organizations use Deseret connect for their articles. The articles produced are written by thousands of people just like you and I who submit them. They are then reviewed and edited by wonderful editors who work tirelessly to make sure to eliminate us much bias information as they can to just report the news. So yes there are biases in those articles because you have your biases and I have mine. Good reporters set those aside and good editors look for those and point them out to writers to correct. Fortunately we get enough news form every direction with many different biases that we have a chance to get many different takes and views. At least some of us who dont rely on things like Fox who has a stated agenda and Patriot radio and believe what they hear at face value.

Ill let you go on blaming the big evil made up group called "The Media" that is controlling everyone's minds.

Do you have any links to these studies showing that the media skews right? I'd love to read them.