What's new

* NEW * 2019 Annual JazzFanz All-Time NBA Draft

**** it. I’m gonna organize something like this in a couple of weeks. Current players, picks are redrafts of certain years. Every participant gets every different slot in a different draft, first to last*. Will be for the upcoming season, might even create a proper fantasy league (someone that knows more about those should PM me). 12 players, 12 teams (more or less, but same numbers of teams and players per team), no waiver wire non-sense, a player that’s injured is injured and you dip into your depth.

I’be been thinking about this for a long time but have been wary of adding more pointless responsibility to my life.

*for example, one player gets 1st pick in the 2007 re-draft, 2nd in 2008, 3rd in 2009, etc. Another person gets last pick in 2007, 1st in 2008, 2nd in 2009, etc. Randomize the order of years, create a “best-of-the-rest” year (where Lebron would be, for example).

Last edited:
**** it. I’m gonna organize something like this in a couple of weeks. Current players, picks are redrafts of certain years. Every participant gets every different slot in a different draft, first to last. Will be for the upcoming season, might even create a proper fantasy league (someone that knows more about those should PM me). 12 players, 12 teams, no waiver wire non-sense, a player that’s injured is injured and you dip into your depth.

So like we’d draw the draft the order for the first two round which would be the 80’s? Then we’d draw the order for the next two rounds which might be the 70’s? Like that?

And once a player is drafted he obviously can’t be drafted again...so if you decide to take 80’s MJ, well, he’s ringless and young still, and 90’s MJ can’t be taken.

Like this?

Getting back to the Maravich discussion, I always assumed that if he played in the modern era he would have put up numbers similar to Allen Iverson at his best and Stephon Marbury at his worst.

Pistol was a knock down shooter. His last year, first with a 3pt line he shot over 60% though he didn’t shoot many because he was over the hill

So like we’d draw the draft the order for the first two round which would be the 80’s? Then we’d draw the order for the next two rounds which might be the 70’s? Like that?

And once a player is drafted he obviously can’t be drafted again...so if you decide to take 80’s MJ, well, he’s ringless and young still, and 90’s MJ can’t be taken.

Like this?
Not quite. Current players only projected for the upcoming season. An example:

You get the first pick in a 2009 re-draft, so you get to choose anyone that was drafted (or entered the draft but wasn’t drafted, a la Matthews) in 2007. You almost certainly take Durant. You wouldn’t get another first pick for the rest of the selection process, likely ending up with the last pick of the 2019 draft (this is because the league and game is all about top-heaviness and players that get first picks in snake-order always have a considerable advantage over the other players, especially since they have the ability to select two picks at a time). Every participant gets a first pick, last pick, and every number in-between.

The importance of current-season is that it gives us an actual framework for discussion and strategy. Participants are working with known-quantities from a real context, the art is the composition and the projection. If worked into a fantasy league, likelihood of injury becomes another’s variable.

With enough teams and a narrowed scope, participants end up with teams that actually resemble something approaching reality, which means we don’t have to imagine how a bunch of stars may or may not work together. Stars stay stars, role players serve a real role, etc.

Last edited:
**** it. I’m gonna organize something like this in a couple of weeks. Current players, picks are redrafts of certain years. Every participant gets every different slot in a different draft, first to last*. Will be for the upcoming season, might even create a proper fantasy league (someone that knows more about those should PM me). 12 players, 12 teams (more or less, but same numbers of teams and players per team), no waiver wire non-sense, a player that’s injured is injured and you dip into your depth.

I’be been thinking about this for a long time but have been wary of adding more pointless responsibility to my life.

*for example, one player gets 1st pick in the 2007 re-draft, 2nd in 2008, 3rd in 2009, etc. Another person gets last pick in 2007, 1st in 2008, 2nd in 2009, etc. Randomize the order of years, create a “best-of-the-rest” year (where Lebron would be, for example).
Ill do it

Not quite. Current players only projected for the upcoming season. An example:

You get the first pick in a 2009 re-draft, so you get to choose anyone that was drafted (or entered the draft but wasn’t drafted, a la Matthews) in 2007. You almost certainly take Durant. You wouldn’t get another first pick for the rest of the selection process, likely ending up with the last pick of the 2019 draft (this is because the league and game is all about top-heaviness and players that get first picks in snake-order always have a considerable advantage over the other players, especially since they have the ability to select two picks at a time). Every participant gets a first pick, last pick, and every number in-between.

The importance of current-season is that it gives us an actual framework for discussion and strategy. Participants are working with known-quantities from a real context, the art is the composition and the projection. If worked into a fantasy league, likelihood of injury becomes another’s variable.

With enough teams and a narrowed scope, participants end up with teams that actually resemble something approaching reality, which means we don’t have to imagine how a bunch of stars may or may not work together. Stars stay stars, role players serve a real role, etc.

Gotcha. So if we have 16 participants, we go back 16 drafts?

Another idea is to have a concrete plan for participants that take too long to draft. Probably just keep a secret BPA list and have auto-selections based on that when people take too long.

Gotcha. So if we have 16 participants, we go back 16 drafts?
Exactly. But that also means that we’d have to go 16-deep per draft which could get dicey for participants that have late picks in bad or older drafts and the idea is to create real parity.

Another idea is to have a concrete plan for participants that take too long to draft. Probably just keep a secret BPA list and have auto-selections based on that when people take too long.
I think you require them to partner with an alternate. Maybe do draft partners even. So Wes and I could collaborate and make our picks as a team, or at least have each person identify another poster to pick for them when the time limit is reached.

I think you require them to partner with an alternate. Maybe do draft partners even. So Wes and I could collaborate and make our picks as a team, or at least have each person identify another poster to pick for them when the time limit is reached.
OOO. Actual TEAMS composed of board members? With enough people that could be a blast (or a nightmare... hmm).

Exactly. But that also means that we’d have to go 16-deep per draft which could get dicey for participants that have late picks in bad or older drafts and the idea is to create real parity.

What about guys who were drafted prior to those 16 drafts? Would they automatically be thrown into that 2003 draft class additionally?

I think so. Again, I’m wary of taking on an unnecessary responsibility, but I don’t like these drafts because the parameters are too wide and too based on rhetoric.

Responsibility? I do this to avoid responsibility. I have three kids under age 5 at home and have been solo with them for most of the summer. I of course own parenting but still. **** ain’t always easy. Til I yell. Then they shape up.

What about guys who were drafted prior to those 16 drafts? Would they automatically be thrown into that 2003 draft class additionally?
Current players and current production only. I’m not sure how many players are even around pre-2003.

I’d probably swap the 2019 draft for a best-of-the-rest draft for players pre-2008. Or something.

A lot of this would come down to how many people would actually be down as that would determine how many drafts are included and how many picks from each draft. It would be good to have at least 10, but eight would actually be pretty interesting since you’d only get eight players (which is about the size of a contender’s rotation in the playoffs).

Current players and current production only. I’m not sure how many players are even around pre-2003.

I’d probably swap the 2019 draft for a best-of-the-rest draft for players pre-2008. Or something...

So if we wanted someone draft pre-2004, we could draft that guy but we’d get the 2019 version of him?

Are we just going to skip rgiss then? Did he pick already and I missed it?