What's new

Niang Makes the Team or We Riot Movement

Article vouching for Niang to make the team:

https://thejnotes.com/2018/07/08/utah-jazz-georges-niang-deserves-nba-roster-spot/

In 15 games played with the Stars, Niang put up 22 points per contest on 60.6 percent shooting from the field and a scintillating 52.7 percent from deep. The six-foot-eight forward further showcased his versatility by adding 6.8 rebounds, 3.4 assists and a steal per contest. The cherry on top was his free throw percentage of 91.7 percent.

I don’t care what kind of competition you’re going against, those numbers and that kind of efficiency are incredible.

And it appears that Utah’s renowned development program is once again proving its worth as Niang has looked just as formidable while playing for the Jazz in this year’s Summer League. He was one of the best players in Utah Summer League as he put up 16.7 points per game on 53 percent shooting from the field and 50 percent shooting from deep.

Niang doesn't have full blown PF size, but he's about 6'8" and about 230ish. He can slot back-up minutes against smaller lineups there.

Choo choo!

So... here is an interesting comp for Niang. I think he is a better version of Jared Dudley. Niang has a lot more as a ball handler. Dudley was an effective small ball 4 by shooting the ball well, making good quick passes, and being good enough on defense... he was a RPM outlier for many years. His team was just better when he was on court because he made winning plays.

Niang is a bit taller/longer, but I think it is a valid comp. He's a better shooter than the "old man Diaw" comp that gets tossed around. Better passer and ball handler than Dudley, but will operate more like Jared on an NBA team imo. I'd be surprised if he isn't the 15th man.

So... here is an interesting comp for Niang. I think he is a better version of Jared Dudley. Niang has a lot more as a ball handler. Dudley was an effective small ball 4 by shooting the ball well, making good quick passes, and being good enough on defense... he was a RPM outlier for many years. His team was just better when he was on court because he made winning plays.

Niang is a bit taller/longer, but I think it is a valid comp. He's a better shooter than the "old man Diaw" comp that gets tossed around. Better passer and ball handler than Dudley, but will operate more like Jared on an NBA team imo. I'd be surprised if he isn't the 15th man.

Assuming he's complete, he'll earn rotation minutes like Royce did.

Through 5 SL games, Niang is 11/23 from 3-pt, for 48% on 4.6 attempts per game.

I think once he plays with other creators that he will have even more opportunities.

I'm telling yall he was telling everyone where to be and playing point forward... on both sides of the court. I really think he could be the stretch playmaking 4 we want. Never under estimate the smart, skilled guy. Seems like a super hard worker too... he oozes Jazz DNA.

I think once he plays with other creators that he will have even more opportunities.

I'm telling yall he was telling everyone where to be and playing point forward... on both sides of the court. I really think he could be the stretch playmaking 4 we want. Never under estimate the smart, skilled guy. Seems like a super hard worker too... he oozes Jazz DNA.

He also has a 2 inch vertical, gets beat off the dribble, and is slow af

Not as slow as he used to be and he’s generally in the right spot. Has been beat off the dribble a little but not bad really at all.

I will maintain he’s a better shooting, dribbling, and passing version of Jared Dudley.

You could have said many of those things about Joe Ingles a few years ago... jumping high and running fast isn’t everything.

Not as slow as he used to be and he’s generally in the right spot. Has been beat off the dribble a little but not bad really at all.

I will maintain he’s a better shooting, dribbling, and passing version of Jared Dudley.

You could have said many of those things about Joe Ingles a few years ago... jumping high and running fast isn’t everything.

Joe can actually play defense. I went to 2 games this year and watched Niang in the others. When he gets beat (and it's often), he'll just foul them and put them on the line. I do like his offensive game but he's a HUGE defensive liability

Joe can actually play defense. I went to 2 games this year and watched Niang in the others. When he gets beat (and it's often), he'll just foul them and put them on the line. I do like his offensive game but he's a HUGE defensive liability

Joe is a great defender... but not when he first got here... was just okay. Niang has looked good on defense in summer league.

We're talking about a guy who is likely the 14th man on our roster. He's good enough to play some rotation minutes, not screw things up too much and not cost too much. That's what you're looking for at the end of the roster. He might be able to do more than that though, given his ability to score the ball.

I mean, he just matched up with Kevin Knox, who is a high level athlete, and outplayed him. Niang has only gotten burnt off the dribble by guards. He has done a good job staying in font of 3's and 4's.

[QUOTE="Catchall, post: 1630825, member: 245"]We're talking about a guy who is likely the 14th man on our roster. He's good enough to play some rotation minutes, not screw things up too much and not cost too much. That's what you're looking for at the end of the roster. He might be able to do more than that though, given his ability to score the ball.[/QUOTE]
What else are we going to talk about?

Is there any way to do hockey substitutions with Udoh on defense and Georges on offense? They’d only have to play half the floor so we could probably keep them burning all 48.

Rubio
Mitchell
Ingles
Udang (Geordoh?)
Gobert

How much money would an Epniang be worth?

I wasn’t sure about Niang to start the Utah summer league. He’s grown on me. I’m envisioning him spotting up for threes all season long with most being so wide open it’s like he’s throwing the ball into the ocean. Can’t wait to watch him in preseason.

The best thing about Niang is that he's a knockdown shooter from 3 when he's open. And while he's slow and can't jump, he's smart so that compensates for his liabilities.